Topics

Yarrow and Ettrickbridge

Meghw

My paternal family lived in Yarrow for many years, their main line was Nic(h)ol living at Kershope with a Baptie connection.  The Mitchell family lived at Ettrickbridge and were joiners/carpenters and moved there pre 1841 from Lilliesleaf. If anyone thinks they may be related I would be glad to hear from them

Meghw, when my father and sister and I visited Scotland, the most important place to spend time in was Yarrow Feus, which I guess is part of Yarrow, because that is where my Cowans lived before emigrating to Canada in 1832. It was wonderful! We drove out to St. Mary's Loch, and another day drove over the hill to Ettrickbridge and walked around a bit there.

We came Sunday to go to church where those ancestors had attended, but missed the service due to the sign on the church giving the wrong hour! However, we were in time to greet people as they left the service, including the pastor who introduced us to a lovely lady whose family had lived in Yarrow for generations. She invited us to her home for tea and told us so much about the area.

I will never forget the visit, or walking around the churchyard reading the stones.

It was all so lovely, but seems to lack people!

Valorie Cowan Zimmerman

Meghw

Hi Valorie

Lovely that you have visited the valley, how long ago was that? Was the minister Samuel Siroky (Czech), Bruce Lawrie or George Thomson?

I had noticed some Cowan gravestones up near the church as some of my ancestor's gravestones (Nichol, Baptie) are right beside the church.

I only moved out of the valley a couple of years ago having lived there all my life but given the number of incomers in recent years there are very few long term (with an ancestral past) residents there any more which is a shame.  I was just discussing that with an old neighbour last week.

It is a lovely place and I'm glad you got a lot of information from the lady up the valley. Which farm/cottage were your ancestor's from?  Mine lived mainly at Kershope, Whitehope and Lewinshope. Whitehope is the farm behind Yarrow Kirk.

Yarrow Feus is part of Yarrow as is Yarrowford which is 5 miles from Selkirk.

Meghw