Topics

Mysteries or other novels set in Selkirkshire?

The Islay group is having an inspiring thread about books set in the Isle of Islay.

Are there any fiction books set in Selkirskshire or the Borders? Well, I answered my own question by searching a bit, and finding:

Meghw

Hi

I haven't read any of these but the Ian Rankine (Rebus) books tend to be good. The Walter Scott books tend to be very long, I haven't read them but have read his poems which are really far more interesting. Bought an audio book of Ivanhoe and couldn't even manage that - very bad considering I live less than 5 miles from his home.

I have however read one or two set in the Borders which include

The Cunning Woman's Cup by Sue Hewitt set in Berwickshire.

Hadrian's Trader by Richard Yeo - set near Melrose during Roman times.

After Flodden by Rosemary Goring - again this was very interesting. I then bought Dacre's War which wasn't quite so gripping.

Most of these are set in the Borders although Flodden is still remembered today in Selkirk on Common Riding Day.

Margaret

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 3:23 AM Meghw via groups.io <magwat12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi

I haven't read any of these but the Ian Rankine (Rebus) books tend to be good. The Walter Scott books tend to be very long, I haven't read them but have read his poems which are really far more interesting. Bought an audio book of Ivanhoe and couldn't even manage that - very bad considering I live less than 5 miles from his home.

Yes, I tried to read some Scott books when I was younger, and couldn't manage. Now I've found an actual connection between my Cowans and Sir Walt (my gggrandfather worked for him as a shepherd boy) -- and still can't force myself to read the ones on my shelf. :-)

I have however read one or two set in the Borders which include

The Cunning Woman's Cup by Sue Hewitt set in Berwickshire.

Hadrian's Trader by Richard Yeo - set near Melrose during Roman times.

After Flodden by Rosemary Goring - again this was very interesting. I then bought Dacre's War which wasn't quite so gripping.

Most of these are set in the Borders although Flodden is still remembered today in Selkirk on Common Riding Day.

Margaret

Now these sound interesting! I'll see if I can find any copies on this side of the pond.

Thanks Meghw!

Anyone else?

Valorie

Meghw

Hi

This is a bit off course but my GGGrandfather James Nic(h)ol worked at Easter Kershope which was under the ownership of the Duke of Buccleuch. Sir Walter Scott was the guardian of the 5th Duke of Buccleuch as his father died when he was 13. Small world!!
Meghw