Re: Mysteries or other novels set in Selkirkshire?

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 3:23 AM Meghw via groups.io <magwat12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi

I haven't read any of these but the Ian Rankine (Rebus) books tend to be good. The Walter Scott books tend to be very long, I haven't read them but have read his poems which are really far more interesting. Bought an audio book of Ivanhoe and couldn't even manage that - very bad considering I live less than 5 miles from his home.

Yes, I tried to read some Scott books when I was younger, and couldn't manage. Now I've found an actual connection between my Cowans and Sir Walt (my gggrandfather worked for him as a shepherd boy) -- and still can't force myself to read the ones on my shelf. :-)

I have however read one or two set in the Borders which include

The Cunning Woman's Cup by Sue Hewitt set in Berwickshire.

Hadrian's Trader by Richard Yeo - set near Melrose during Roman times.

After Flodden by Rosemary Goring - again this was very interesting. I then bought Dacre's War which wasn't quite so gripping.

Most of these are set in the Borders although Flodden is still remembered today in Selkirk on Common Riding Day.

Margaret

Now these sound interesting! I'll see if I can find any copies on this side of the pond.

Thanks Meghw!

Anyone else?

Valorie

Join Selkirkshire@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.