Topics

Weekly digest [was Question about list]


Lindsay Graham
 

However, in my view, the weekly digest option is an abomination unless you expect NEVER to respond to any messages on the list.  Unfortunately, many digest subscribers simply reply to one of the messages in the digest without changing the subject heading and without including prior emails on the same subject -- which makes it very difficult for readers to follow the conversation thread.  As someone else pointed out, having useful and self-explanatory subject headings that directly relate to the subject matter is very important for readers of the list and, especially, for those looking up the list archives.

The admins of some lists with which I'm associated do not allow weekly digest subscriptions, and that's what I would do if I was an admin.  It is so easy to skim through (or delete) individual messages.

Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia


On 20/1/20 1245, W David Samuelsen wrote:
Yes, you have to go to your account and change.

Go to the site, and get in

On left side menu, there is "Subscription"  see "Email Delivery". You have choices to choose.

David Samuelsen

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:30 AM mmd39 via Groups.Io <mmd39=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Is it possible to get this list as a weekly digest?  Thanks Margo 




W David Samuelsen
 

There are several types of email delivery.

David Samuelsen

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 9:58 PM Lindsay Graham <LDGraham@...> wrote:
However, in my view, the weekly digest option is an abomination unless you expect NEVER to respond to any messages on the list.  Unfortunately, many digest subscribers simply reply to one of the messages in the digest without changing the subject heading and without including prior emails on the same subject -- which makes it very difficult for readers to follow the conversation thread.  As someone else pointed out, having useful and self-explanatory subject headings that directly relate to the subject matter is very important for readers of the list and, especially, for those looking up the list archives.

The admins of some lists with which I'm associated do not allow weekly digest subscriptions, and that's what I would do if I was an admin.  It is so easy to skim through (or delete) individual messages.

Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia


On 20/1/20 1245, W David Samuelsen wrote:
Yes, you have to go to your account and change.

Go to the site, and get in

On left side menu, there is "Subscription"  see "Email Delivery". You have choices to choose.

David Samuelsen

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:30 AM mmd39 via Groups.Io <mmd39=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Is it possible to get this list as a weekly digest?  Thanks Margo 




 


On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 8:58 PM Lindsay Graham <LDGraham@...> wrote:
However, in my view, the weekly digest option is an abomination unless you expect NEVER to respond to any messages on the list.  Unfortunately, many digest subscribers simply reply to one of the messages in the digest without changing the subject heading and without including prior emails on the same subject -- which makes it very difficult for readers to follow the conversation thread.  As someone else pointed out, having useful and self-explanatory subject headings that directly relate to the subject matter is very important for readers of the list and, especially, for those looking up the list archives.

That has been true in the Rootsweb lists. The Groups.io digests are a bit different, and do allow you to answer either in email or one the web to *one* message, not the whole digest. There is an option for a plain text digest, which is probably the same as the one Mailman offered to us before.

It depends on people's email setup whether or not quoting is automatic. If people reply on the web, copy/paste is necessary, which is rather annoying. 

The admins of some lists with which I'm associated do not allow weekly digest subscriptions, and that's what I would do if I was an admin.  It is so easy to skim through (or delete) individual messages.

Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia

Not everyone wants to reply. I would never take that option away; I already read the GMF group for group admins via digest. Otherwise it would be overwhelming. I may end up doing the same for the main Scotland-Genealogy group; my interests are in some of the subgroups.

Valorie 


Anne Burgess <anne.burgess@...>
 

I disagree 100%. I have just changed my subscriptions to plain digest for the four groups I am subscribed to because of the sheer volume of messages coming in as individual posts.

Anne

-----Original Message-----
From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lindsay Graham
Sent: 20 January 2020 04:58
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SCT-Gen] Weekly digest [was Question about list]

However, in my view, the weekly digest option is an abomination unless you expect NEVER to respond to any messages on the list. Unfortunately, many digest subscribers simply reply to one of the messages in the digest without changing the subject heading and without including prior emails on the same subject -- which makes it very difficult for readers to follow the conversation thread. As someone else pointed out, having useful and self-explanatory subject headings that directly relate to the subject matter is very important for readers of the list and, especially, for those looking up the list archives.

The admins of some lists with which I'm associated do not allow weekly digest subscriptions, and that's what I would do if I was an admin. It is so easy to skim through (or delete) individual messages.

Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia



On 20/1/20 1245, W David Samuelsen wrote:


Yes, you have to go to your account and change.

Go to the site, and get in

On left side menu, there is "Subscription" see "Email Delivery". You have choices to choose.

David Samuelsen

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:30 AM mmd39 via Groups.Io <mmd39=aol.com@groups.io <mailto:aol.com@groups.io> > wrote:


Is it possible to get this list as a weekly digest? Thanks Margo