Unusual name choices

Surely if your surname was Gordon you wouldn't call your daughter Gaye?

Eliz Cook

It could have been Gabrielle that later got shortened

Eliz

On 17 Feb 2021, at 7:21 pm, Seymour Hosking <seymourh@...> wrote:

Surely if your surname was Gordon you wouldn't call your daughter Gaye?
<Gordon family.JPG>

Anne Burgess

Why not? It's only in the last few decades that the word 'gay' has shifted its meaning to a synonym for 'homosexual'. When I was a child it meant happy, merry, cheerful, joyful, playful etc.

Wikipedia says that in the context of the Gay Gordons, ' "Gay" in this phrase has the Scots meaning, "extraordinary" rather than the more commonly used English meanings'.

Anne

garyturnbull@...

Reminds me of the song, No Milk Today, by Herman's Hermits from the 60's. A big hit at the time. In the song there is the line "The company was gay"
I am sure they meant happy, merry, cheerful ...

Gary

Why not? It's only in the last few decades that the word 'gay' has shifted its meaning to a synonym for 'homosexual'. When I was a child it meant happy, merry, cheerful, joyful, playful etc.

Wikipedia says that in the context of the Gay Gordons, ' "Gay" in this phrase has the Scots meaning, "extraordinary" rather than the more commonly used English meanings'.

Anne

Eliz Cook

I half remember a traditional Scots song about Gaye Gordon or Gordons

Elizabeth

On 19 Feb 2021, at 1:23 am, garyturnbull@sympatico.ca wrote:

Reminds me of the song, No Milk Today, by Herman's Hermits from the 60's. A big hit at the time. In the song there is the line "The company was gay"
I am sure they meant happy, merry, cheerful ...

Gary

Why not? It's only in the last few decades that the word 'gay' has shifted its meaning to a synonym for 'homosexual'. When I was a child it meant happy, merry, cheerful, joyful, playful etc.

Wikipedia says that in the context of the Gay Gordons, ' "Gay" in this phrase has the Scots meaning, "extraordinary" rather than the more commonly used English meanings'.

Anne

Jocelyn Gould

My sister was born in 1953 and she was called Gay which was quite a common christian name in use.  Unfortunately, by the early 1970s (in Australia) the word had taken on a new meaning and she was so mortified that she changed the spelling to Gai which partly addressed the issue.  Our surname was Mann.

Jocelyn

On 18/02/2021 7:56 pm, Anne Burgess via groups.io wrote:
Why not? It's only in the last few decades that the word 'gay' has shifted its meaning to a synonym for 'homosexual'. When I was a child it meant happy, merry, cheerful, joyful, playful etc.

Wikipedia says that in the context of the Gay Gordons, ' "Gay" in this phrase has the Scots meaning, "extraordinary" rather than the more commonly used English meanings'.

Anne

Goldie & Lido Doratti

Sometimes I think folks need to think outside the box. I cannot sit here longer and read this thread. It's a slang usage of a nice word to say the least....and someone's name. So lets just get on with it, can we?
In this time we are in, can we just revert to genealogy? Goldie