Topics

understanding ages in 1841 census

JANET MORGAN

I believe that the ages for adults were rounded down in the 1841 census. Is this correct? I am searching for the parents of my Allan/Alan Bowie who shows up in Campbell St Johnstone, Renfrewshire as 39 years old. If he was born in the latter part of the year 1801, December,  would he still show up as 39?
This parentage has been a stumbling block for years.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Janet Bowie Morgan

Ken Harrison

If he was 39, he “should” have been shown as 35.  But application was very inconsistent.
If it shows 39, then it is highly probable that in the Spring of 1841 he claimed to be 39, and so born in the last 8 months of 1801 or the first 4 of 1802.

Ken iPad

On Jun 1, 2020, at 4:11 PM, JANET MORGAN via groups.io <Jmorgan441@...> wrote:

I believe that the ages for adults were rounded down in the 1841 census. Is this correct? I am searching for the parents of my Allan/Alan Bowie who shows up in Campbell St Johnstone, Renfrewshire as 39 years old. If he was born in the latter part of the year 1801, December,  would he still show up as 39?
This parentage has been a stumbling block for years.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Janet Bowie Morgan

JANET MORGAN

Thank you Ken. He was actually listed as 35. Sorry for that so it should hold true here then. Trying to narrow his parents down. I think he was Ayrshire and was married there in Kilwinning but most children were born in Renfrew.

Janet Morgan

On Jun 1, 2020, at 7:17 PM, Ken Harrison <kenharrison43@...> wrote:

If he was 39, he “should” have been shown as 35.  But application was very inconsistent.
If it shows 39, then it is highly probable that in the Spring of 1841 he claimed to be 39, and so born in the last 8 months of 1801 or the first 4 of 1802.

Ken iPad

On Jun 1, 2020, at 4:11 PM, JANET MORGAN via groups.io <Jmorgan441@...> wrote:

I believe that the ages for adults were rounded down in the 1841 census. Is this correct? I am searching for the parents of my Allan/Alan Bowie who shows up in Campbell St Johnstone, Renfrewshire as 39 years old. If he was born in the latter part of the year 1801, December,  would he still show up as 39?
This parentage has been a stumbling block for years.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Janet Bowie Morgan

Terence Brown

No he wouldn’t be shown as 39 but as 35.
Ages up to 15 were shown as the exact age. Ages over 15 were rounded down to the nearest 5 years, hence 39 shown as 35.

Regards
Terry Brown

Goldie & Lido Doratti

I disagree....ages were supposed to be rounded to the nearest 5.....BUT...it wasn't consistently done. IF you are looking at a census for 1841 in Scotland it is best to plus or minus 5 years. Then work from there. Sometimes that doesn't work either, but worth the try. IF you know where a person was born, that helps, but also you have to allow for WHO gave the info....for example....a wife may not be sure, or an older child may have given it. So do what you can with the 1841 and if this works then skip to the 1851.....then it should show the true age. Failing all of this, and IF you know where a person was born, go to Scotland's People and try that site.....costs, yes, but you will get the actual documentation from the Old Parish Record Book. It is true about the under 15's being shown as the true age. But remember the 1841 census was done in or about 7 June of the year...then IF you know the date of birth, use plus or minus 1 year. Someone born in May would have one answer while someone born in June might give the actual age, or give the age they would be next month.....follow me? Someone who was 38 should show as 40, while someone age 37 should show as 35, BUT in fact it is not consistent, again I say. Think "outside" the box ..Goldie

No he wouldn’t be shown as 39 but as 35.
Ages up to 15 were shown as the exact age. Ages over 15 were rounded down to the nearest 5 years, hence 39 shown as 35.

Regards
Terry Brown

Anne Burgess

Edited

The 1841 census was taken on 7 June, so if he really was aged 39 on census day, he would have been born between 8 June 1801 and 7 June 1802.If he was correctly shown as 35 he would have been born between 8 June 1801 and 7 June 1806.