===================================

From: Lauraine Syrnick        Sent: Thursday, 2 December 2021 3:21
To: Scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io       Subject: Re: [ScotGen] DNA

Hi - have Morrison in my family  - a Forbes Morrison b. 1740-1750.  He would be my 4x great grandfather and borne to a John Morrison and  ? Cowie.  Unsure of last name but can look it up if you are interested.  This man was a fisherman living on Shetland, Scotland and had a daughter Ursula Morrison who married a James Smith in Shetland.

==================================

_._,_._,_

Lauraine Syrnick

Attn Meg Greenwood

I have used Tony Gott’s site for years now and have sent him some family pictures.  He has a great site with much of the info being documented.  Thanks for mentioning his site as more or less figured everybody on this site would be aware of it.  I have also donated some funds to this site.  In 2016, my daughter and I visited Shetland for six days staying with my cousin in Scalloway and found the people very friendly.  We also visited mainland Scotland and even found an old gravesite of my 3xGreat Grandmother which was exciting for me.
I can strongly recommend Tony Gott’s site.

Lauraine (Smith-5003) Syrnick

On Dec 1, 2021, at 8:24 PM, Meg Greenwood {scotquester@...} <scotquester@...> wrote:

Tony Gott has a wonderful website on Shetland...history, family names, individual listings, island information - a lot to read about.  This website is located here, its called North Isles Family History.

https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/

Its free to use and you can donate if you wish.  Along the top bar on the left are these topics - Home, Search, Login.  Along the right are these topics - Find, Media and Info.  Hovering over each topic shows a menu of things to choose from.  The Find topic lets you look through Surnames which might help Lauraine and the names it seems are to be found in Shetland.  There are many Morrisons and Smiths to look at.  There are also 658 Cowie bits and pieces !  Hope something turns up for you....my Orkney Island roots have links back to Shetland in the late 1700s....Johnston and Jamieson, so far no earlier names known.   Meg Greenwood / Oklahoma / USA

From: Lauraine Syrnick        Sent: Thursday, 2 December 2021 3:21
To: Scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io       Subject: Re: [ScotGen] DNA