Topics

Scottish family names

Scott Thomson

My Great-Grandfather John Thomson was born in 1834 in Arbroath, Angus/Forfar, married an Englishwoman and emigrated to the U.S. in 1855. His mother also was a Thomson, Helen, the daughter of William and Mary (Johnston) Thomson. HIs parents were James and Elizabeth (Strachan) Thomson. Before Arbroath, the Thomsons and Strachans were from Marykirk, Kincardineshire. Other family names on this line are Clark, Coupar/Coupar and possibly Nicol and Richardson.
Those are on my father’s side. On Mom’s side, the Campbells, Gillhams and Kirkpatrick came from Scotland via Northern Ireland.