Topics

Researching McLugash/McDougall, Caskie, Mitchell, McNeill, Campbell etc

Janet Farmer

Greetings to everyone.  It's nice to see that the Islay site is still as vibrant as ever.  My thanks to all of the people involved in setting up the new site.

I have been researching for over 20 years but still have some brick walls.  I'm looking for any info on the following:

John McLugash married to Agnes (Ann) Campbell 13 March 1786.  I have no info on Agnes other than this date.  My family follows the McLugash (all spellings) line.

Son Alexander died  Mulindry.  He married Mary McNeill from Kilmeny  1814.  Her parents were Archibald McNeill and Catherine Kelly.  I'm looking for any info on her.

Other research interests are: Caskie Portnahaven/Kilchoman/Canada Paisley; Mitchell Portnahaven/Kilchoman Canada Greenock

Good Hunting everyone

Janet (Ontario)

John Kemplen

Hi Janet

I don't know if we have direct links but some of the names and locations that you mention crop up in my family too.  My great grandmother Margaret McLugash, born c.1852, was raised at Lenanbuie, probably by her grandparents Donald McLugash and Catherine Carmichael.  Her father was John McLugash and her mother was Margaret Campbell of Mulindry.  I do not think John and Margaret married, and I think they probably met when John was employed at Mulindry.  Margaret Campbell's parents were John Campbell (born c.1780) and Christy Carmichael (born c.1786).  My McLugashes seem to have moved around within a very small area at Gartachossan, Lenanbuie and Starchmill, only a mile or so from Mulindry, so it is not too surprising that there appear to have been a number of liaisons/marriages between McLugashes and Campbells in that area.

Regards

John

On 28/01/2020 17:43, Janet Farmer via Groups.Io wrote:
Greetings to everyone.  It's nice to see that the Islay site is still as vibrant as ever.  My thanks to all of the people involved in setting up the new site.

I have been researching for over 20 years but still have some brick walls.  I'm looking for any info on the following:

John McLugash married to Agnes (Ann) Campbell 13 March 1786.  I have no info on Agnes other than this date.  My family follows the McLugash (all spellings) line.

Son Alexander died  Mulindry.  He married Mary McNeill from Kilmeny  1814.  Her parents were Archibald McNeill and Catherine Kelly.  I'm looking for any info on her.

Other research interests are: Caskie Portnahaven/Kilchoman/Canada Paisley; Mitchell Portnahaven/Kilchoman Canada Greenock

Good Hunting everyone

Janet (Ontario)

_.

Janet Farmer

Sorry John, So far I have not found a connection to your family and mine.

Cheers
janet