Topics

Place name

Donald Young

Hi all;

I have ancestors who lived at Ballicatrigan on the island of Islay in the 1790's.  I presume this is the name of a farm. Has anyone researched the name, and/or prepared a history of settlement there?
Thank you.

Donald Young

Ken Harrison

Donald,
It was indeed a farm, in the south of the island, and where several generations of my ancestry lived, from at least the late 1700s to mid 1800s.  They were tenant farmers and there were several families living and working on the farm at any given time.  Mine left for Canada in mid 1800s, while cousins stayed on Islay to the present time.
My lot were mainly McNabb (various spellings) and McVoran (various spellings, and anglicized in the early 1800s by some family groups to Morrison).  At least one branch in Ontario married a Young (perhaps yours).  I don’t have my data open right now, and seem to be a bit tied up with another event, but would be interested in pursuing this with you later.
Merry Christmas and a Vaccinated New Year!
Ken Harrison
Vancouver, Canada

On Dec 24, 2020, at 5:58 PM, Donald Young <donaldandkaren@...> wrote:

Hi all;

I have ancestors who lived at Ballicatrigan on the island of Islay in the 1790's.  I presume this is the name of a farm. Has anyone researched the name, and/or prepared a history of settlement there?
Thank you.

Donald Young

Glynn Currie

Ken,
Merry Christmas.
My paternal grandmother is descended fro two McNabb families who came from Islay and settled in Simcoe Ontario some time around 1830. I have not been able to connect them to a family in Islay. Andrew McNabb, b.1777, his wife Catherine Matheson, b. 1879, children: Findlay McNabb, 1813, Duncan McNabb b. 1810, James McNabb b.c. 1815. Would you have a connection?
Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy

[...]

Hi Ken;

When you have time, I would like to know more.

The earliest name I have is Duncan Cameron of Ballychatrigan.  His son Hugh married a Nancy McNabb in 1826 on Islay.  Duncan married a Margaret McVorran as a second wife in 1809 on Islay. I don’t know anything about Duncan or his first wife. I am a descendant of Hugh.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.
Thank you

Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 9:29 PM

[...]

HI Glynn;

I am a descendant of Hugh Cameron who married a Nancy McNabb on Islay in 1826.  That’s all I have with a McNabb.

Thank you for posting.

Donald Young

[...]

Thank you for responding.  When you have some time, I would be interested in what you have.  My ancestor is Duncan Cameron of Ballichatrigan whose first spouse is unknown. His second wife was Margaret Mcvorran, whom he married in 1809 at Kidalton.  His son Hugh married a Nancy McNabb in 1826 at Kidalton. I know nothing about Duncan.  Hugh came to Canada in 1847.

Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 9:29 PM

[...]

Glynn,

I have your Andrew and Catherine (who I assume you meant was born 1779) in my data, plus 8 children and several generations below them.  Catherine sometimes went by the name McMath.  I have no data prior to the two of them.

I have not been able to prove any connection between my mob and Andrew’s, and all the data I have has been sent to me over the past couple of decades by other persons on predecessors to this List.

Please contact me off List at kenharrisonATShaw.ca and we can figure out how best for me to send to you what I have.

Ken

My paternal grandmother is descended fro two McNabb families who came from Islay and settled in Simcoe Ontario some time around 1830. I have not been able to connect them to a family in Islay. Andrew McNabb, b.1777, his wife Catherine Matheson, b. 1879, children: Findlay McNabb, 1813, Duncan McNabb b. 1810, James McNabb b.c. 1815. Would you have a connection?

Glynn

Ken Harrison

Donald,

Apart from the use of the very small number of identical names used in Islay at the time, I can not find in my data any of the persons you name.  I have multiple cases of persons with the same names, but the dates and/or spouses show they come nowhere near matching your data.

Good Luck & Merrie Christmas.

Ken

When you have time, I would like to know more.

The earliest name I have is Duncan Cameron of Ballychatrigan.  His son Hugh married a Nancy McNabb in 1826 on Islay.  Duncan married a Margaret McVorran as a second wife in 1809 on Islay. I don’t know anything about Duncan or his first wife. I am a descendant of Hugh.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

Thank you

Glynn Currie

Thanks Donald. It is interesting to see the many "cousins" one gets after so many generations.
Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy