Topics

NICOLSON of Isle of Skye Scotland. Also ROSIE of Scotland.

Ian and Margaret Kelly <i_m_kelly@...>

Hi,

I am researching my mother’s ancestors the NICOLSON family of Glenmore on the Isle of Skye.

Parents are Murdoch NICOLSON & Mary MORRISON of Glenmore.

They had five children as under, all born on Skye.

Kenneth b. 1820 (no information)

Allan b.1821 married Marion MACLEOD and emigrated to Canada 1862.

Catharine b.1823 (no information)

Archibald b.1828 married Margaret MACLEOD and stayed on Skye.

Murdoch b.1834 married Marion MCINNES and emigrated to Australia 1858.

I am also interested in contacting anyone researching the ROSIE family of the Aberdeen/Ellon area.  I have Margaret Macleod (Rita) Nicholson marrying George ROSIE in 1934.

Thank you,

Ian Kelly, Queensland, Australia.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Joan Smith

I notice you have Nicholson and Macleod going to Canada. I have a James Nicholson b.1826 and a Effie Macleod b.1836 coming from Scotland to Canada. They settled on P.E.I. It had to be around the early 1860s because my ggrandmother was born in 1864 on P.E.I. and her oldest sister was also born there. It seems the Nicholsons and Mcleods married each other often. The only thing I don't have are the parents of either James or Effie. I just know that they married in Scotland and then went to Canada. Would you have anything on the couple.

I am researching my mother’s ancestors the NICOLSON family of Glenmore on the Isle of Skye.
Parents are Murdoch NICOLSON & Mary MORRISON of Glenmore.
They had five children as under, all born on Skye.
Kenneth b. 1820 (no information)
Allan b.1821 married Marion MACLEOD and emigrated to Canada 1862.
Catharine b.1823 (no information)
Archibald b.1828 married Margaret MACLEOD and stayed on Skye.
Murdoch b.1834 married Marion MCINNES and emigrated to Australia 1858.

I am also interested in contacting anyone researching the ROSIE family of the Aberdeen/Ellon area.  I have Margaret Macleod (Rita) Nicholson marrying George ROSIE in 1934.

Thank you,
Ian Kelly, Queensland, Australia.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ian & Margaret Kelly

Hi Joan,

I don’t have James or Effie in my family tree at all.  There are some family trees on Ancestry for this couple but not much information in most of them.  I notice in one family tree, put there by a Brent Knutson, it has James as dying before 1902 at PEI. It has James’ father as Walter Nicolson 1802-1851.

It has Effie’s parents as Angus Macleod & Flora Bethune.

One child is shown for James & Effie and she is Mary Jeanette Nicholson 1868-1921.

So I don’t know if any of this is of any help to you.  Lots of stuff on Ancestry Family Trees can be incorrect also, I have found.

Cheers,

Ian

[...]

Thank you I will try researching these new names. I do know my ggrandmother had 2 sisters named  Mary, Janet and a Flora which could be named after Effies mother.