Topics

Need names of some old Farms c1857 in Cathcart, Renfrewshire RFW, Sct

Edie Mc

Hi,
Does anyone have a list or at least one  farm in Cathart, Renfrewshire area please. It ould  needed to be going back at least 1956.  I want to search in that area for our John McArthur born 1828 someplace in Scotland , but was living and working as a Farm Servant at Cathcart prior to his and Isabella Stevensons marriage that took place at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire 2 December 1856.  Their banns were read at Cathcart.  I would like to do a bit of research i that area.  Also a good reseachers name would be useful as well for that area please, in case I dont have any luck myself.

Thank you in advance for any help.
--
eamca57

Jean Reynolds

Cathcart is an area in the south side of Glasgow

Jean Reynolds

On 4 Feb 2020, at 21:11, Edie McArthur <eamca1944@...> wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone have a list or at least one  farm in Cathart, Renfrewshire area please. It ould  needed to be going back at least 1956.  I want to search in that area for our John McArthur born 1828 someplace in Scotland , but was living and working as a Farm Servant at Cathcart prior to his and Isabella Stevensons marriage that took place at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire 2 December 1856.  Their banns were read at Cathcart.  I would like to do a bit of research i that area.  Also a good reseachers name would be useful as well for that area please, in case I dont have any luck myself.

Thank you in advance for any help.
--
eamca57

Josephine Conray

Hi

Just Google and found this site. https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16932  Also there are about 53 Family Tree on Ancestry for John & Isabella, and both of them died in Parersonia, Tasmania, Australia and had 14 childrem

Qld Aust

I found a better site  http://www.scotcities.com/cathcart/cathcart.htm

Does anyone have a list or at least one  farm in Cathart, Renfrewshire area please. It ould  needed to be going back at least 1956.  I want to search in that area for our John McArthur born 1828 someplace in Scotland , but was living and working as a Farm Servant at Cathcart prior to his and Isabella Stevensons marriage that took place at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire 2 December 1856.  Their banns were read at Cathcart.  I would like to do a bit of research i that area.  Also a good reseachers name would be useful as well for that area please, in case I dont have any luck myself.

Thank you in advance for any help.
--
eamca57

Edie Mc

Thank you for your reply Jean. Yes I know Cathcart is now between Glasgow and Renfrewshire since 1912, I believe, but in 1857 it was in Renfrewshire ony.  Our John McArthur c1828, son of Duncan McArthur and Margaret Smith, was working there then and I am trying to trace his movements and hoped to find him at a farm working in the region of Cathcart.  Hoping he will be mentioned in one of the farm surveys.. He was born elsewhere  I think. We haven't found any McArthur surname in any of three males DNA, or at least three family members autosomal with ancestry.com. But have at least four surnames to go on that do appear in their YDNA with familytreedna'  It was commn for Highland surnames to be named differently  We had another surname the other day and they too have never found  their surname through DNA as yet like us. We only have to deal with 9 as we have done Y111 and it has be narrowed down to the 9 surnames.  So I am hoping to find when the name change took place, or the NPE that was suggested.

regards
Edie McArthur
Australia

[...]

Thankyou Josephine.  I have three trees up for McArthur.  the main one is McARTHUR/STEVENSON etc Laing/WEBBER etc Family Tree they had 9 children all born in the Upper Nile area, near Evandale.  Isabella 1858 (conceived in Scotland), Margaret, Mary, John, George, William (iur Line, Peter Duncan and Robert Russell McARTHUR.  the family arrived in Tasmania 31 March, 1857 on the Broomielaw. I have never found a photo of the ship and have always comeup withe the  Dock Brooielaw when goggling.  Beed to Quebec where she was built as well to see if they had any photos of her.  I saw the log book she was mentioned in but no photo.

I have done a bit of seach n the whereabouts of Cathcrt but havent found any farms as wyet. I did finda young fellow John  CUNNINGHAM aged 21 and single on the Broomie law lso from Cathcart and thought he may of been working with our Joh and put a post over AUS-TAsmania.rootsweb but to no avail. There was no reply for any cunnigham families who had this John in their family tree.  I though there was a town or farm name in front of Cathcart for his entry, but cannot seem to find where I saw it now. It would be a starting point for me to find the little village  or farm near Cathcart where John was working I knw Cathcart is only about  2miles by 4 miles.

Another thing is I was in touch with a lady who lives overseas whose family came fromBarrhead very close to Cambuslang. Her family came out to Sydney and were into the Shipping business.  she did give me her families and there were a few Thomas which we do not have in our family.andshe isnt planing to having any DNA tested I think only her father and a little baby are the males and the father is in a nursing home, so close but so far.

Thanks for all of the help given so far.
regards
Edie McArthur

[...]

Thank you Josephien. I downloaded some of the maps.  I think I may have one of them but will be handy  to search out some farmland.  A lady on the list mentioned the  1856/7 Survey Name Books when I first joined and i haven't done anything with those as yet. So they will be handy as well. Some nice photos of old Cathcart amongst them

Thanks again
Edie McArthur