Topics

Need names of some old Farms c1857 in Cathcart, Renfrewshire RFW, Sct

Edie Mc

Hi,
Does anyone have a list or at least one  farm in Cathart, Renfrewshire area please. It ould  needed to be going back at least 1956.  I want to search in that area for our John McArthur born 1828 someplace in Scotland , but was living and working as a Farm Servant at Cathcart prior to his and Isabella Stevensons marriage that took place at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire 2 December 1856.  Their banns were read at Cathcart.  I would like to do a bit of research i that area.  Also a good reseachers name would be useful as well for that area please, in case I dont have any luck myself.

Thank you in advance for any help.
--
eamca57

Jean Reynolds

Cathcart is an area in the south side of Glasgow

Jean Reynolds

On 4 Feb 2020, at 21:11, Edie McArthur <eamca1944@...> wrote:

Hi,
Does anyone have a list or at least one  farm in Cathart, Renfrewshire area please. It ould  needed to be going back at least 1956.  I want to search in that area for our John McArthur born 1828 someplace in Scotland , but was living and working as a Farm Servant at Cathcart prior to his and Isabella Stevensons marriage that took place at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire 2 December 1856.  Their banns were read at Cathcart.  I would like to do a bit of research i that area.  Also a good reseachers name would be useful as well for that area please, in case I dont have any luck myself.

--
eamca57

Josephine Conray

Hi

Just Google and found this site. https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16932  Also there are about 53 Family Tree on Ancestry for John & Isabella, and both of them died in Parersonia, Tasmania, Australia and had 14 childrem

Cheers

Josephine

Qld Aust

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Edie McArthur
Sent: Wednesday, 5 February 2020 7:12 AM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: [ScotGen] Need names of some old Farms c1857 in Cathcart, Renfrewshire RFW, Sct

Hi,

--
eamca57

Josephine Conray

Hi

I found a better site  http://www.scotcities.com/cathcart/cathcart.htm

Cheers

Josephine

Qld Aust.

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Edie McArthur
Subject: [ScotGen] Need names of some old Farms c1857 in Cathcart, Renfrewshire RFW, Sct

Hi,

--
eamca57

Edie Mc

Thank you for your reply Jean. Yes I know Cathcart is now between Glasgow and Renfrewshire since 1912, I believe, but in 1857 it was in Renfrewshire ony.  Our John McArthur c1828, son of Duncan McArthur and Margaret Smith, was working there then and I am trying to trace his movements and hoped to find him at a farm working in the region of Cathcart.  Hoping he will be mentioned in one of the farm surveys.. He was born elsewhere  I think. We haven't found any McArthur surname in any of three males DNA, or at least three family members autosomal with ancestry.com. But have at least four surnames to go on that do appear in their YDNA with familytreedna'  It was commn for Highland surnames to be named differently  We had another surname the other day and they too have never found  their surname through DNA as yet like us. We only have to deal with 9 as we have done Y111 and it has be narrowed down to the 9 surnames.  So I am hoping to find when the name change took place, or the NPE that was suggested.

regards
Edie McArthur
Australia

------ Original Message ------
To: Scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Need names of some old Farms c1857 in Cathcart, Renfrewshire RFW, Sct

Cathcart is an area in the south side of Glasgow

Jean Reynolds

On 4 Feb 2020, at 21:11, Edie McArthur <eamca1944@...> wrote:

Hi,

--
eamca57    

--
eamca57

Edie Mc

Thankyou Josephine.  I have three trees up for McArthur.  the main one is McARTHUR/STEVENSON etc Laing/WEBBER etc Family Tree they had 9 children all born in the Upper Nile area, near Evandale.  Isabella 1858 (conceived in Scotland), Margaret, Mary, John, George, William (iur Line, Peter Duncan and Robert Russell McARTHUR.  the family arrived in Tasmania 31 March, 1857 on the Broomielaw. I have never found a photo of the ship and have always comeup withe the  Dock Brooielaw when goggling.  Beed to Quebec where she was built as well to see if they had any photos of her.  I saw the log book she was mentioned in but no photo.

I have done a bit of seach n the whereabouts of Cathcrt but havent found any farms as wyet. I did finda young fellow John  CUNNINGHAM aged 21 and single on the Broomie law lso from Cathcart and thought he may of been working with our Joh and put a post over AUS-TAsmania.rootsweb but to no avail. There was no reply for any cunnigham families who had this John in their family tree.  I though there was a town or farm name in front of Cathcart for his entry, but cannot seem to find where I saw it now. It would be a starting point for me to find the little village  or farm near Cathcart where John was working I knw Cathcart is only about  2miles by 4 miles.

Another thing is I was in touch with a lady who lives overseas whose family came fromBarrhead very close to Cambuslang. Her family came out to Sydney and were into the Shipping business.  she did give me her families and there were a few Thomas which we do not have in our family.andshe isnt planing to having any DNA tested I think only her father and a little baby are the males and the father is in a nursing home, so close but so far.

Thanks for all of the help given so far.
regards
Edie McArthur

Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Need names of some old Farms c1857 in Cathcart, Renfrewshire RFW, Sct

Hi

Just Google and found this site. https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16932  Also there are about 53 Family Tree on Ancestry for John & Isabella, and both of them died in Parersonia, Tasmania, Australia and had 14 childrem

Cheers

Josephine

Qld Aust

Hi,

--
eamca57

--
eamca57

Edie Mc

Thank you Josephien. I downloaded some of the maps.  I think I may have one of them but will be handy  to search out some farmland.  A lady on the list mentioned the  1856/7 Survey Name Books when I first joined and i haven't done anything with those as yet. So they will be handy as well. Some nice photos of old Cathcart amongst them

Thanks again
Edie McArthur

Sent: Wednesday, 5 Feb, 2020 At 2:30 PM

Hi

I found a better site  http://www.scotcities.com/cathcart/cathcart.htm

Cheers

Josephine

Qld Aust.

Hi,

--
eamca57

--
eamca57

Fiona Turnbull

Edie
Have you looked at the links here https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/RFW/Cathcart - also check out the maps at the National Library of Scotland as many of the older maps have farms on them https://maps.nls.uk/
Access high-resolution zoomable images of over 200,000 maps of Scotland, England, Wales and beyond
maps.nls.uk

"CATHCART, parish, chiefly in Renfrewshire, but partly in Lanarkshire, and including parts of the southern suburbs of Glasgow. It has a post office of its own name, under Glasgow, and contains the Queen's Park, the town of Crosshill, the villages of New Cathcart, Old Cathcart, Crossmyloof, Langside, Camphill, Prospect Hill, Florida, Clarkston Toll, Hangingshaw, Millbridge, Netherlee, and part ...
www.genuki.org.uk
If I can help in some way let me know as I am based in Oban, Scotland

Fiona Turnbull

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> on behalf of Edie McArthur <eamca1944@...>
Sent: 05 February 2020 10:21
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>

Thankyou Josephine.  I have three trees up for McArthur.  the main one is McARTHUR/STEVENSON etc Laing/WEBBER etc Family Tree they had 9 children all born in the Upper Nile area, near Evandale.  Isabella 1858 (conceived in Scotland), Margaret, Mary, John, George, William (iur Line, Peter Duncan and Robert Russell McARTHUR.  the family arrived in Tasmania 31 March, 1857 on the Broomielaw. I have never found a photo of the ship and have always comeup withe the  Dock Brooielaw when goggling.  Beed to Quebec where she was built as well to see if they had any photos of her.  I saw the log book she was mentioned in but no photo.

I have done a bit of seach n the whereabouts of Cathcrt but havent found any farms as wyet. I did finda young fellow John  CUNNINGHAM aged 21 and single on the Broomie law lso from Cathcart and thought he may of been working with our Joh and put a post over AUS-TAsmania.rootsweb but to no avail. There was no reply for any cunnigham families who had this John in their family tree.  I though there was a town or farm name in front of Cathcart for his entry, but cannot seem to find where I saw it now. It would be a starting point for me to find the little village  or farm near Cathcart where John was working I knw Cathcart is only about  2miles by 4 miles.

Another thing is I was in touch with a lady who lives overseas whose family came fromBarrhead very close to Cambuslang. Her family came out to Sydney and were into the Shipping business.  she did give me her families and there were a few Thomas which we do not have in our family.andshe isnt planing to having any DNA tested I think only her father and a little baby are the males and the father is in a nursing home, so close but so far.

regards
Edie McArthur

Hi

Cheers

Josephine

Qld Aust

Hi,

--
eamca57

--
eamca57

Les Horn

Have a look at the NLS (National Library of Scotland) maps web-site.
This URL will take you to Cathcart.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.8187&lon=-4.2618&layers=5&b=1

E J Bateson

try this, its  the old ordinance survey maps of scotland  in 1800s    https://maps.nls.uk/view/74427699 

On 5 Feb 2020, at 15:55, leshorn44@... wrote:

Edie Mc

Hi Fiona,
Thank you for your help.  I am familiar with Genuki, it is a wonderful site to use.  However you do have to use other sites as it doesn't cover everything ones needs.  The National Map site, I have'nt seen, so that is going to be very useful.  Now I need to know where to  locate the Ordnance Name Books as I am sure they will be useful to others as well, especially if like me they live overseas in Australia.

I have seen a good bit of Scotland during and after a working holiday in 1990 in the UK, when we were living at Gateshead, Tyne N Wear and you could go in and out  of Scotland on weekends and long weekends. Then we did a more thorough look through Scotland using Youth Hostels.  Been to the Isle o Skye an the main cities, not sure about Oban,  I will have to look at my photos from that trip.  We had  been to Scotland briefly in 1989 to visit Fort George at Ardersier, Inverness where my grandfather Joseph Henry LANE was born 1975 whilst my great grandfather  Joseph Crane  LANE was stationed with the First Royal Scots. Also my GF half sister Martha LANE (born  Colchester, Essex, England to  Joseph Crane LANE first wife Emma HOLMES, who died in Colchester), was living there also and she had married a Thomas MacNeil, son of Margaret Porteous and William MacNeil.

My son and I are quite frustrated Fiona.  We have everything we need the Tasmanian end and we have had  two of our  three sons and our only daughter, plus their fathers DNA using three companies, FTDNA, MyHeritage and ancestry.com.  It is just the birth date and place of our John McArthur c1828, could be either side of that.  We have a census record in 1841 of a Duncan McArthur with a wife Janet , they have children Duncan, Peter Robert, John and daughter Janet, but I have checked the birth of that John out on Scotlands people and he is the lawful son of Duncan and Janet McArthur.  What does Lawful usually mean as I dont  always see that, but our John has Margaret Smith as his mother on his and Isabella Stevensons marriage certificate.

I was thinking that maybe he belonged to the Militia as he was a farm servant and could maybe of been called up.  I have checked on fold3 for him but cant see anything that stands out.

Thank you again for your help.
Edie Mc
Australia

To: "Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io" <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, 6 Feb, 2020 At 1:39 AM

Edie
Have you looked at the links here https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/RFW/Cathcart - also check out the maps at the National Library of Scotland as many of the older maps have farms  on them https://maps.nls.uk/
Access high-resolution zoomable images of over 200,000 maps of Scotland, England, Wales and beyond
maps.nls.uk

"CATHCART, parish, chiefly in Renfrewshire, but partly in Lanarkshire, and including parts of the southern suburbs of Glasgow. It has a post office of its own name, under Glasgow, and contains the Queen's Park, the town of Crosshill, the villages of New Cathcart,  Old Cathcart, Crossmyloof, Langside, Camphill, Prospect Hill, Florida, Clarkston Toll, Hangingshaw, Millbridge, Netherlee, and part ...
www.genuki.org.uk
If I can help in some way let me know as I am based in Oban, Scotland

Fiona Turnbull

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> on behalf of Edie McArthur <eamca1944@...>
Sent: 05 February 2020 10:21
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>

Thankyou Josephine.  I have three trees up for McArthur.  the main one is McARTHUR/STEVENSON etc Laing/WEBBER etc Family Tree they had 9 children all born in the Upper Nile area, near Evandale.  Isabella 1858 (conceived in Scotland), Margaret, Mary, John,  George, William (iur Line, Peter Duncan and Robert Russell McARTHUR.  the family arrived in Tasmania 31 March, 1857 on the Broomielaw. I have never found a photo of the ship and have always comeup withe the  Dock Brooielaw when goggling.  Beed to Quebec where  she was built as well to see if they had any photos of her.  I saw the log book she was mentioned in but no photo.

I have done a bit of seach n the whereabouts of Cathcrt but havent found any farms as wyet. I did finda young fellow John  CUNNINGHAM aged 21 and single on the Broomie law lso from Cathcart and thought he may of been working with our Joh and put a post  over AUS-TAsmania.rootsweb but to no avail. There was no reply for any cunnigham families who had this John in their family tree.  I though there was a town or farm name in front of Cathcart for his entry, but cannot seem to find where I saw it now. It would  be a starting point for me to find the little village  or farm near Cathcart where John was working I knw Cathcart is only about  2miles by 4 miles.

Another thing is I was in touch with a lady who lives overseas whose family came fromBarrhead very close to Cambuslang. Her family came out to Sydney and were into the Shipping business.  she did give me her families and there were a few Thomas which we  do not have in our family.andshe isnt planing to having any DNA tested I think only her father and a little baby are the males and the father is in a nursing home, so close but so far.

regards
Edie McArthur

Hi

Just Google and found this site. https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/16932  Also there are about 53 Family Tree on Ancestry for John  & Isabella, and both of them died in Parersonia, Tasmania, Australia and had 14 childrem

Cheers

Josephine

Qld Aust

Hi,
Does anyone have a list or at least one  farm in Cathart, Renfrewshire area please. It ould  needed to be going back at least 1956.  I want to search in that area for our John McArthur born 1828 someplace in Scotland , but was living and working as a Farm Servant  at Cathcart prior to his and Isabella Stevensons marriage that took place at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire 2 December 1856.  Their banns were read at Cathcart.  I would like to do a bit of research i that area.  Also a good reseachers name would be useful as well  for that area please, in case I dont have any luck myself.

--
eamca57

--
eamca57  

--
EdieMc

Edie Mc

HI Leshorn, Thank you very much for bringing up the Cathcart Map for me from the National Library of Scotland. That is a great map as it shows clearly all of the surrounding towns Villages and possibly Farms.  I just need to find the John Cuningham who came same ship as our John and his wife  to see the town he was living in at Cathcart as tha could be a start in our seach in that area.
'Thans again for your help
Edie Mc

Sent: Thursday, 6 Feb, 2020 At 2:55 AM

--
EdieMc

Edie Mc

Thank you E Bateson, another good map.  I hope others are benefiting from these Maps as well.
Thanks again
Edie Mc

Sent: Thursday, 6 Feb, 2020 At 4:46 AM

try this, its  the old ordinance survey maps of scotland  in 1800s    https://maps.nls.uk/view/74427699 

--
EdieMc

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 2:13 PM Edie McArthur <eamca1944@...> wrote:
Thank you E Bateson, another good map.  I hope others are benefiting from these Maps as well.
Thanks again
Edie Mc

Hi folks, this group has a wiki, and each of us can add and edit it, upload files as well. If someone wants to begin gathering links to maps and put them onto a wiki page, I encourage you to do so. These assets are available in each subgroup as well! 

We don't have enough storage to upload maps and such, but links take up very little room. :-)

All the best,

Valorie 

From: "E J Bateson via Groups.Io" <hunchibanks=btinternet.com@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, 6 Feb, 2020 At 4:46 AM

--
EdieMc

inverkip@...

In the OPR's (Old Parochial Registers), pre-1855, Lawful son or daughter would be a child born to a married couple. A Natural son or daughter is a nice way of saying illegitimate. Recommend check Scotlandsplaces.gov.uk Renfrewshire OS name books, vol. 02, 1856-1857. This lists all named properties and features. These correspond with the maps for those years. Freecen.org.uk is a good place to check also, 100% of Renfrewshire has been transcribed 1841-71.

Edie Mc

Thank you for your input. I did just recently a a fortnight ago, printout some of the Cathcart Farms from the website yousuggested as someon on the list had also suggested it. But I need to study them.  I think I was looking for familiar names of people.  Did note a Revd Smith, since I am short of a mother Margaret Smith for our John who was a Lay preacher over here. I was hoping there had been anconnection there.  So far havent found any firm Smiths in our ancestry.com matches as yet nor  any firm McArthurs.  Found McArthurs in matches trees, but not necessarily to do with us. Can only see one Cathcart John McArthur 1828 in the 1851 census, but on Scotlnds people it is Cartsdyke not Cathcart. That is where the Lawful son came into it as we had looked on Scotlands People and fouud a Duncan McArthur but with a Janet  Workman and I had wondered if she may have been a second wife to Duncan and Margaret had died.  So I looked for the birth of the John and it said he was the lawful son of Duncan  and Janet McArthur.  So that was that. I thought hat maybe it meant adopte, but  i dont think there were adoptions that early.  I know folk fostered and men also gave  stepchildren their surnames and all that sort of thing. I will check that volume again to see if it is the one I printed or another one.
Thanks again
Edie McArthur

Sent: Monday, 24 Feb, 2020 At 5:23 PM

In the OPR's (Old Parochial Registers), pre-1855, Lawful son or daughter would be a child born to a married couple. A Natural son or daughter is a nice way of saying illegitimate. Recommend check Scotlandsplaces.gov.uk Renfrewshire OS name books, vol. 02, 1856-1857. This lists all named properties and features. These correspond with the maps for those years. Freecen.org.uk is a good place to check also, 100% of Renfrewshire has been transcribed 1841-71.    

--
EdieMc

DixieAC

You missed “base born” ;-)

On Feb 23, 2020, at 10:23 PM, inverkip@... wrote: