From: "Barbara Gooding via groups.io" <barbgooding@...>
Date: 2020-12-23 4:43 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io" <scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io>
Subject: [ScotGen] Mystery Photo

I received this photo from a relative's estate.  Any suggestions for identifying this mystery man?  The photo is quite small: slightly less than 2" x 4" and it's printed on photographic paper not a thick card.  It probably dates from the late 1800s to early 1900s.  The photo is marked "Chief Hugh Fraser," but representatives of Clan Fraser and Clan Fraser of Lovat have told me he is not one of their people.  One suggestion was the tartan looked like McKenzie.  If it helps, my family was mainly from Glasgow, Dumbfries-shire, and Renfrewshire.  Their surnames were Fletcher, Richardson, and Graham.  Many thanks.

Barbara from California

Goldie & Lido Doratti

Yes, nice find.....I’m wondering if someone wrote “Chief....” on it implying he was the eldest of the family in the USA......most of us would say Matriarch of the family, but maybe someone else had a different thought........  Just trying to think outside the box..maybe it was
all in jest?  He looks like he has been well fed and is a healthy sort.  Goldie

From: "Barbara Gooding via groups.io" <barbgooding@...>
Date: 2020-12-23 4:43 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io" <scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io>

I received this photo from a relative's estate.  Any suggestions for identifying this mystery man?  The photo is quite small: slightly less than 2" x 4" and it's printed on photographic paper not a thick card.  It probably dates from the late 1800s to early 1900s.  The photo is marked "Chief Hugh Fraser," but representatives of Clan Fraser and Clan Fraser of Lovat have told me he is not one of their people.  One suggestion was the tartan looked like McKenzie.  If it helps, my family was mainly from Glasgow, Dumbfries-shire, and Renfrewshire.  Their surnames were Fletcher, Richardson, and Graham.  Many thanks.

Barbara from California

Allan MacBain

Hi Barbara,
Is there any way you can get a higher resolution scan of the photo?

I can't get close enough to be able to make out the cap, or shoulder, badges without massive pixelation.

Allan MacBain MBCS
Associate Genealogist (UK & Europe), Clan MacBean Association.

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 23:45, susanmargaret2 <susanmargaret2@...> wrote:
I can't help, but I wanted to say, what an amazing photograph!  I hope you figure out who it is.
Susan

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® S2

I received this photo from a relative's estate.  Any suggestions for identifying this mystery man?  The photo is quite small: slightly less than 2" x 4" and it's printed on photographic paper not a thick card.  It probably dates from the late 1800s to early 1900s.  The photo is marked "Chief Hugh Fraser," but representatives of Clan Fraser and Clan Fraser of Lovat have told me he is not one of their people.  One suggestion was the tartan looked like McKenzie.  If it helps, my family was mainly from Glasgow, Dumbfries-shire, and Renfrewshire.  Their surnames were Fletcher, Richardson, and Graham.  Many thanks.

Barbara from California

Fiona Turnbull

I would be willing to bet this is him

Best wishes