Topics

Mystery Photo

Barbara Gooding

I received this photo from a relative's estate.  Any suggestions for identifying this mystery man?  The photo is quite small: slightly less than 2" x 4" and it's printed on photographic paper not a thick card.  It probably dates from the late 1800s to early 1900s.  The photo is marked "Chief Hugh Fraser," but representatives of Clan Fraser and Clan Fraser of Lovat have told me he is not one of their people.  One suggestion was the tartan looked like McKenzie.  If it helps, my family was mainly from Glasgow, Dumbfries-shire, and Renfrewshire.  Their surnames were Fletcher, Richardson, and Graham.  Many thanks.

Barbara from California

susanmargaret2

I can't help, but I wanted to say, what an amazing photograph!  I hope you figure out who it is.
Susan

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® S2

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2020-12-23 4:43 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: "Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io" <scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io>
Subject: [ScotGen] Mystery Photo

I received this photo from a relative's estate.  Any suggestions for identifying this mystery man?  The photo is quite small: slightly less than 2" x 4" and it's printed on photographic paper not a thick card.  It probably dates from the late 1800s to early 1900s.  The photo is marked "Chief Hugh Fraser," but representatives of Clan Fraser and Clan Fraser of Lovat have told me he is not one of their people.  One suggestion was the tartan looked like McKenzie.  If it helps, my family was mainly from Glasgow, Dumbfries-shire, and Renfrewshire.  Their surnames were Fletcher, Richardson, and Graham.  Many thanks.

Barbara from California

Goldie & Lido Doratti

Yes, nice find.....I’m wondering if someone wrote “Chief....” on it implying he was the eldest of the family in the USA......most of us would say Matriarch of the family, but maybe someone else had a different thought........  Just trying to think outside the box..maybe it was
all in jest?  He looks like he has been well fed and is a healthy sort.  Goldie

Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 3:42 PM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io ; Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Mystery Photo

I can't help, but I wanted to say, what an amazing photograph!  I hope you figure out who it is.
Susan

To: "Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io" <scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io>

Barbara from California

Allan MacBain

Hi Barbara,
Is there any way you can get a higher resolution scan of the photo?

I can't get close enough to be able to make out the cap, or shoulder, badges without massive pixelation.

Allan MacBain MBCS
Associate Genealogist (UK & Europe), Clan MacBean Association.

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 23:45, susanmargaret2 <susanmargaret2@...> wrote:
Susan

From: "Barbara Gooding via groups.io" <barbgooding=yahoo.com@groups.io>

Barbara from California

Fiona Turnbull

I would be willing to bet this is him

Best wishes

Fiona Turnbull

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> on behalf of Barbara Gooding via groups.io <barbgooding@...>
Sent: 23 December 2020 21:43
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io>

Barbara from California

RussellR

Hi Barbara

Have you run the picture through Google images to see if there is a match?  I tried, but the scan was too small to get any useful results, but a higher resolution file might get better results.

You could also try this website - http://www.tartansauthority.com/tartan-ferret/ - if the search facility cannot identify the tartan, you could try emailing them a copy of the image to see if they can give you any help.