Mitchells in Australia

Meghw

Two of my ancestors moved to Australia some time between 1851 and 1857.

William Mitchell married Isabella Fullerton on the 17th March 1857 at Thomas Town Australia. They had 2 sons, John Mitchell and William Thomas Mitchell.
William Mitchell died on the 27th August 1871 at Epping, Victoria. John Mitchell married Mary Elizabeth Thornton in 1884 in Victoria and John Mitchell died 13 July 1921.

John Mitchell had a family of 5 - Florence, Thomas, John Arthur, Peggy and Elsie.

William Thomas Michell died 1922 at Hawthorn Australia, not sure if he had any family

Thomas Mitchell also moved across at some point after 1851 but I don't think he got married so would not have any family.

It's possible that they set up an agricultural machinery site in Melbourne.

Any ideas

Thanks

Margaret

Josephine Conray

Hi Margaret

In the Will & Probate records 1841-2009 Vic. there is a Will for William Mitchell in which it state he was a Blacksmith, he was AKA as William Thomas but I cannot see if there was any agricultural machinery site in Melbourne

It does say that he had three 3 daughters that share in the Estate as seen below

Catherine Ellen Mitchell who was married to Henry Adcock Brudenell they had 7 Children, he was a Farmer, I looked up Vic BDM Catherine was born abt. 1863 in Epping Vic

Margaret Mitchell was married to Edward Mason. Margaret was born 1865 Epping.

Mary Ann Mitchell she was born 1870 at Wool.

At the time of William death it looks like they all lived at Chapman St, North Melbourne

It looks like after the death William, Isabelle Mitchell nee Fullerton married James Staton Reid.

John Mitchell was made the administrator of the Estate. Going by the date 1891 it took a long time to be settled. The Will & Probate is on Ancestry

Hope this helps

[...]

Hi Josephine

I thought the will would be in 1871 and it wasn't on Ancestry but if it's on after 1890 then I will have a look on Ancestry, thanks very much for that. Had looked up Trove but you cannot access the wills so hopefully I'll find it on Ancestry.  The immigration records aren't available either.   The next generation down I got lots of records of them going to the USA - again two brothers.

Thanks again

Margaret