Topics

Message from a Group Moderator regarding the first message posted by each group member

Bret Busby

Hello.

I am a Moderator of this group - not the Group Owner. The Group Owner is Valorie.

Please remember that the first message that any group member posts, is subject to moderation.

This is one reason that it is a good idea for each group member to post a message, as soon as possible.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

Edie McArthur

HI Bret,
I am replying to your message above. Are you receiving it in the normal way.  As yu know I have been having teething problems. Was being told I wasnt subscribed.  I have tried to be subscribed but keep being sent one of those messages from my postmaster at my bigpond server.
Thanks
Edie McArthur

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 8:45 AM Bret Busby <bret@...> wrote:
Hello.

I am a Moderator of this group - not the Group Owner. The Group Owner is
Valorie.

Please remember that the first message that any group member posts, is
subject to moderation.

This is one reason that it is a good idea for each group member to post
a message, as soon as possible.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Sue Dietz

Ok, I wish to stay in touch so here is my first post.

A great big thank you to you folks who do what you do for all of us. (kudos Bret and Valerie)

I felt so at home during my first trip to Scotland with my predominantly Scottish grandson, the MacMichael.

I had great success with his ancestry thanks to many of you, particularly Malcolm Lockerbie. And Bruce McDowall -is that correct?

I shall see her again in May when I cruise around the British Isles. I have more Scots, Irish, British ancestry than German and

One day I hope to know about my Scots-Irish Wilsons. I have not heretofore felt I knew enough to query about them, but maybe soon.

Sue fulk dietz

Earliest known Scot ancestor is Henry Wilson ?-1805 whose father may have been David/Davis Wilson 1685-? Antrim, Ulster, Ireland

and his father David/Davis Wilson 1650-? Inverness, Scotland. Will be wonderful to know for certain.

Bruce Allan

Looking for information on the Allan family from Paisley (1800s onward to 1900s) or from Lochwinnoch (??? to 1850).

Bruce Allan
Victoria, BC, Canada

Karina McHugh

Hi everybody, its ages since I posted. However I'll try again. I'm looking for information about a Burns House that used to exist in Falkirk back in the early 1800's and the Henderson and Calender families associated with it.

Regards,

Karina

I am a Moderator of this group - not the Group Owner. The Group Owner is
Valorie.

Please remember that the first message that any group member posts, is
subject to moderation.

This is one reason that it is a good idea for each group member to post
a message, as soon as possible.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

jlsandgate@...

·       I'm not too sure how to post so thought I would try by replying to Bret's post - advice would be appreciated. My interests are as follows:

          WAUGH – in Castleton, Newcastleton, Stapleton
·         BALLENTINE – Castleton, Newcastleton
·         FORRESTER - Stapleton
·         BROWN – Rockcliffe
·         JOHNSTONE – Rockcliffe, Blackford, Stapleton
·         RICHARDSON, NIXON – Blackford...
·         TURNBULL – Brampton – Scotland
·         LITTLE – Langholm
·         ARMSTRONG – Lanercost –
·         FLETCHER - Lanercost
·         DAVIDSON – Langholm, Castleton, Brampton

...and more.  The above list is completed in haste I will update in the near future, having visited Castleton, Newcastleton, Langholm, Rockcliffe etc last summer will be concentrating on the Waugh and Ballentine and border families this year.  We have only been able to get back to a Thomas WAUGH and Christon Ballentine in Castleton/Newcastleton late 1700’s .  We went to the local Museum in Newcastleton and  a very knowledgeable curator, Anne, could tell us where they lived when their children were born from the places on the baptism page.  Tales of Bothies and how big they were to how Castleton moved to Newcastleton,  a lovely place.

Jane Williams

I am a Moderator of this group - not the Group Owner. The Group Owner is
Valorie.

Please remember that the first message that any group member posts, is
subject to moderation.

This is one reason that it is a good idea for each group member to post
a message, as soon as possible.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
  written by Douglas Adams,
  published by Pan Books, 1992

J Hansen

Hi Bret and everyone,

Just for starters, here are some of my Scottish surnames with more-or-less specific locales:
Gardner/Wilson- Glasgow, late 1700s- mid-1800s (I believe they came from elsewhere to work in the textile factories, but that's just speculation).
Colden- Borders region, mid-to-late 1600s to mid-1700s- at least 2 generations were ministers and lived in several different towns including Duns, Oxnam, Bunkle, Whitsome
Christie- Kelso- late 1600s to early 1700s
Rhind- Aberdeenshire and Banchory-Devenick- mid-1700s to early 1800s
Ross- Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire- 1700s+

     Juliann

"42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything."- Douglas Adams