Melrose

Bob Elder

Hi Josephine.

Thank you for the information on my Melrose family.

As I’m in the UK is it possible for me to find put further information & how would I go about it,

Many thanks.

Bob

Josephine Conray

Hi Bob

The information that I sent you before was from the head stone of the family graves. The Melrose family appear all to have lived in Geelong, Victoria. Aust

It looks like William & Janet had a child called Alexander Melrose, the first time I saw this name was on the headstone of William’s father Alexander Melrose which gave the dates of deaths Alexander & Catherine, William & Janet, Andrew, and a grandson Alexander and said died in Hobart Tasmania Aust. I think this was at Eastland Cemetery Galashields, Scottish Borders, Scotland

I search the Tasmania archives and did find the following:-- Melrose Alexander died at 48 Molle Street Hobart, burial 27 March 1921 he was 3 months old the son of William Melrose. I am not sure if this is the child of William & Janet there was no other info.

I just cannot work out why they are in Tasmania, will look into that later.

On the Australia Electoral Rolls 1903-1980 before 1931 I cannot find any records for William and his family the first time is

1931 Catherine Elder Melrose living at 5 Maud Street Geelong Vic - she a textile worker

1934  Catherine living at the same address

1934 Jessie  living 5 Maud St Geelong - she a Dressmaker

1934 William living at the same address -he a Warper

1936 Catherine, Jessie William all living at 5 Maud St Geelong and Williams new wife is with them Marjorie Irene Stringer

1937 All at the same address.

Catherine Elder Melrose married 1938 in Geelong to Richard Turnbull Kemp Reg/no 15343 and she died 24 Sep 1991 Geelong Vic. Buried Point Lonsdale Geelong  at Queenscliff Cemetery.

Richard Kemp born 25 March 1910 and died 26 Jan 1980 Geelong, Vic. Reg/no 02743

You can look up all the BDM on this sit below, I think the coast of a certificate is 20.00 Aus dollars

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

Jessie Johnstone Melrose 1944 in Geelong to Roy Francis McKim she died 16 July 1954 in Geelong .Roy was born 20 Aug 1907 in Geelong and Died 24 Nov 1985 in Belmont, Geelong. It looks like they had two children Hedley and Janet

This below is the death notice for Janet Melrose as you will see there is  Alexander as one of the children.

The Australia and New Zealand, Find a Grave Index, 1800s-Current.  Find a Grave

Death Notice
MELROSE — On the 20th November, 1926, at a private hospital, Geelong. Janet, the dearly loved wife of William Melrose of 5 Maude Street, Geelong, and devoted mother of Jessie, Catherine, and Alexander (deceased); formerly of Galashiels, Scotland. Aged 44 years.
Geelong Advertiser

If you go onto this site it below you can see the graves, if it does not work send me your email.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/164783327/janet-scott-melrose

Hope this helps