McNabb

Janet Farmer

I found the following reference on Scotlandspeople:

MACNAB
DUNCAN
GRACE MACVORAN/FR242 (FR242)
31/01/1816
541/
10 233 Kildalton

Kildalton
Janet

Lauraine Syrnick

Do you know if this Duncan McNab was sent to Canada - i.e. Winnipeg or Red River?

Lauraine (Smith) Syrnick

On Feb 18, 2021, at 09:12, Janet Farmer via groups.io <janadama@...> wrote:

I found the following reference on Scotlandspeople:

MACNAB
DUNCAN
GRACE MACVORAN/FR242 (FR242)
31/01/1816
541/
10 233 Kildalton

Kildalton
Janet

Ken Harrison

Duncan & Grace were my GGGgparents.  I have found no connection to anywhere on the Prairies.

Duncan was a weaver, and emigrated to Canada with the family about 1852, but I have not located a death record.  Some family papers suggest they went first to somewhere near Chatham, Ontario (no proof of this that I have found) but had moved to Chinguacousy, Ont within a year or two.  He shows in both the 1861 & 1871 censuses, living with one of his married daughters in Caledon Twp.

Grace also emigrated with family in 1852, according to family papers, but I have never found a record of her in Canada. She is not seen in the 1861 census above, so probably died between 1852 and 1861.

Ken Harrison

Do you know if this Duncan McNab was sent to Canada - i.e. Winnipeg or Red River?

Lauraine (Smith) Syrnick

On Feb 18, 2021, at 09:12, Janet Farmer via groups.io <janadama@...> wrote:

I found the following reference on Scotlandspeople:

MACNAB

DUNCAN

GRACE MACVORAN/FR242 (FR242)

31/01/1816

541/

10 233 Kildalton

Kildalton

Janet

Lauraine Syrnick

I had a great great Uncle who married a woman whose first marriage was to a John McNab/McNabb in 1864.  Believe they were married in Manitoba but trying to trace down a son and daughter he had with a Mary Livingston/Livingstone.  I believe they had a son called Duncan McNab who was born in the U.S. - looking for the place he was borne.

Lauraine (Smith) Syrnick

John McNab — married 21 Jan 1864 in St. John's Anglican Church, St. James, Manitoba, Cdamap

On Mar 3, 2021, at 16:20, Ken Harrison <kenharrison43@...> wrote:

[...]

Josephine Conray

Hi Ken

Found this on Ancestry not sure if he is you man on the Canada cencus.

Do you know Duncan children if he had any or this parents

Duncan Mcnab

In the Ontario, Canada Census Index, 1871

Name:

Duncan Mcnab

Age:

75

Estimated Birth Year:

abt 1796

Gender:

Male

Birth Place:

Scotland

Residence District:

Cardwell

Residence Location:

Caledon

Ethnic Origin:

Scottish

Religion:

Congregationalist

Occupation:

Weaver

Division:

5

Microfilm Roll:

C-9958

Page:

6

Head of Household Comment:

This person's surname is different than the head of household surname.

Do you know if this Duncan McNab was sent to Canada - i.e. Winnipeg or Red River?

Lauraine (Smith) Syrnick

On Feb 18, 2021, at 09:12, Janet Farmer via groups.io <janadama@...> wrote:

I found the following reference on Scotlandspeople:

MACNAB

DUNCAN

GRACE MACVORAN/FR242 (FR242)

31/01/1816

541/

10 233 Kildalton

Kildalton

Janet

Victor McGinlay

Sorry not Ken

On Thursday, 4 March 2021, 10:54:09 GMT, Josephine Conray <javc@...> wrote:

[...]

Josephine,

Yes, that’s him.  I have the complete census as I noted below, and he was living in the household of Alexander McLaren his son-in-law.

Not sure what your question is, but Duncan had 6 children and I know the name of his father.

Duncan & Grace were my GGGgparents.  I have found no connection to anywhere on the Prairies.

Duncan was a weaver, and emigrated to Canada with the family about 1852, but I have not located a death record.  Some family papers suggest they went first to somewhere near Chatham, Ontario (no proof of this that I have found) but had moved to Chinguacousy, Ont within a year or two.  He shows in both the 1861 & 1871 censuses, living with one of his married daughters in Caledon Twp.

Grace also emigrated with family in 1852, according to family papers, but I have never found a record of her in Canada. She is not seen in the 1861 census above, so probably died between 1852 and 1861.

Ken Harrison

Anne Farrar

The location for Duncan in the 1871 Census is interesting. Cardwell Township is in the Parry Sound and Muskoka District in 1871. Both sets of my maternal 2x great grandparents settled there at that time. Caledon is north of Brampton in Peel County. They are 200+ kms apart.

Duncan and Grace are not part of my McNabb family as far as I know. All of the immigrant McNabbs were in Oro Twp, Simcoe County by 1850. Later many members of the younger generations moved to the West. Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. One also appears in Revelstoke. I think that branch ended up on Vancouver Island.

Anne

Do you know if this Duncan McNab was sent to Canada - i.e. Winnipeg or Red River?

Lauraine (Smith) Syrnick

On Feb 18, 2021, at 09:12, Janet Farmer via groups.io <janadama@...> wrote:

I found the following reference on Scotlandspeople:

MACNAB

DUNCAN

GRACE MACVORAN/FR242 (FR242)

31/01/1816

541/

10 233 Kildalton

Kildalton

Janet

Ken Harrison

Check on the Canadian Census site.  About 40 years ago I learned that “Cardwell Co.” (not Cardwell Twp.) as used in this census was a fictional County and the location was actually in Peel County.  I don’t remember why this was done, or whether it was an error, but the fiction was consistent throughout that census for that area.

The actual home was in Caledon Twp, Peel Co., and nowhere near Muskoka.

Duncan had at least 2 younger brothers, Donald & Alexander, who emigrated with the family in 1852.  I have no further info on them, do not know whether they married, where they went, when they died ….  I’ve often wondered about the Oro bunch.

Ken

[...]

Thanks, Ken for clarifying that. Maybe they wanted to name a township for Cardwell and almost used it instead of Peel and then when Muskoka opened up in the 1868 they used Cardwell for a township in Muskoka.

I just had so many questions in my head when I saw Cardwell & Caledon in the same location. Names of places changed so often as Canada West, Upper Canada, Ontario grew and developed over the years. Keeping track of the dates when names changed is a big part of doing genealogy in Ontario.
I assumed it was in Peel because this is where so many immigrants stopped for a year or two while looking for land and obtaining the paperwork.

There are the Oro group but also the Beaverton/Thorold group. I want to find out how they were related some day.

Stay safe and well everyone! Anne

PS. Peel was probably a priority as he was the UK Prime Minister at the time
Viscount Cardwell was minister for the colonies in the Peel cabinet at the time.

[...]

Very interesting, Anne.  Thank you.

So that’s where the name Cardwell came from.  I know, from reading the microfilmed census, that the name “Cardwell Co.” was on each page in the space for “county”, so perhaps it was not fictional, just impermanent.

Ken