Topics

MCCOLMAN, CAMPBELL, BELL, GRAHAM

Shirley <sam.clarke@...>

Greetings from British Columbia, Canada.  I am researching my MCCOLMAN ancestors arriving in Canada from Islay in the early 1830s. I'm hoping to learn more about the ancestors that remained on Islay too.  I have not researched the McColman families lately (I work from materials gathered by cousins many years ago that have been passed on to me) but would love to begin again - to verify the information I have and to learn more.  My ancestors born in Islay:

Great Great Grandparents:    Alexander "Sandy" John MCCOLMAN
b 19 Nov 1826 Baliharrie, Kilmeny Parish
d 7 Jun 1889  Manitoulin Island, Ontario
Married to Flora CAMPBELL
b 16 Aug 1826  Mulreesh, Kilmeny Parish
d 19 Dec 1912  Sterling, Michigan, USA

Greatx3 Grandparents:    Archibald Godfrey MCCOLMAN
b  21 Dec 1799  Carabus, Islay
d 15 Mar 1886 Midhurst, Ontario
Married  Catherine Anne BELL
b 13 Jan 1805  Baliharrie, Kilmeny Parish
d  15 May 1849  Duntroon, Simcoe County, Ontario

Greatx4 Grandparents:  Alexander MCCALMAN
b 1766  Bowmore, Kilarrow Parish
d  Unknown
Married (2nd wife) Mary GRAHAM
b 1774
d 1814

Thank you for reading my family names.  I hope to find others researching the families to share and compare notes.  The families all followed the Scottish naming pattern - keeping them in the proper group is difficult!!

Dee Byster-Graham

Hello Shirley, and all on our List,

Sorry I am unable to help you with your names of interest.

My late husband was a Graham, Gordon Temple Graham, but born in England.

He had no idea he was actually of Scottish descent, although his name would surely have provided him with an inkling, one would think!

Name following family lines is a huge pain for me, too, both in Scotland and Ireland.

My interests are mainly Mitchell; Mather; Cameron; More; and Bulloch.

All resplendently blessed with James, Alexander, Robert, Malcom; Margaret, Mary, and Janet.

Good luck in your quest.

Kindly,

Dee.

Moreton Bay island.

[...]

Hi Marjorie,

My G-G-Grandparents MORE who lived in Coalhill, Lannarkshire.

I have not yet started to research MORE, but they are related to both my MITCHELL, CAMERON, and BULLOCH families.

It is a long time since I have tried to trace this family so must apologise for the lack of data I can remember without studying my records again.

All I recall is that he was a Clerk in a coalmine and her given names were MARY BULLOCH, the second name was probably her mother’s or grandmother’s maiden name.

Shall have a look at the data for them over this weekend and get back to you .

Kindly,

Dee.

May I ask which branch of the 'MORE' family you are researching?

Thanks

My interests are mainly Mitchell; Mather; Cameron; More; and Bulloch.

All resplendently blessed with James, Alexander, Robert, Malcom; Margaret, Mary, and Janet.

Good luck in your quest.

Kindly,

Dee.

Moreton Bay island.

(snip)

Tricia

Hi Marjorie and Dee and all.
Re Surnames.   I am a MORE born in Scotland.  Family back to 1600s.   I have researched some other branches.
I also have links to some other surnames you mention.
Happy to share.
Ydna tested for MORE  male paternal line by my brother     and  i have tested dna.  On Gedmatch.
Tricia.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

bruce@somerset-lamb.com

Hi Dee,

I'm researching my Cameron ancestors.

The forenames Alexander and Robert are found in my ancestors, who were located mainly in Lanarkshire / Glasgow.

My link to Islay is Mary McMillan, born 7th June 1826 in Kilchoman. Her parents were Finlay MacMillan and Catherine McVorran.

Mary McMillan married Alexander Cameron on 24 November 1854 in Cambuslang.

Kind regards

Bruce Cameron

[...]

M Monty <mjmonty@...>

Bruce, I spotted the McVorran name in your post. My 3rd Great Grandmother was Margaret McVorran m George Montgomery (founding Distiller of Octomore). I have been searching for years on the McVorran's but have never found anything other than that both her father and brother were both named John. I have heard that many McVorran's changed their name to Morrison. Do you have any information on the McVorran's? Here's a link to Margaret's profile: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/McVorren-1
Is this your ancestor? Compare DNA and explore genealogy for Margaret (McVorren) Montgomery born 1793 Argyleshire, Scotland died 1871 Canada including father + descendants + DNA connections + more in the free family tree community.
www.wikitree.com

[...]

Good Evening All

A question/suggestion:  would those responding through my post where I am specifically seeking my McColman, Campbell, Bell and Graham ancestors not be better initiating a post with a subject line of their kin's names? - not tagging onto mine.  I'm a novice but I was able to draft my own search subject line.  I get excited when I see that someone is responding to my post - me thinking they are seeking my ancestors too - only to find that they are not - they are seeking completely different Scottish ancestors.

Thank you Dee for your response regarding Scottish naming patterns.  Family names repeated from generation to generation certainly keep us on our toes!  Best of luck to you too in your research of the ancestors!

Shirley

On 29/01/2020 2:15 p.m., M Monty wrote:
[...]

Jocelyn Gould

Hello from another More researcher,

My Mores were from Ross-shire as far back as the records allow, so can't help - sorry

Jocelyn

On 30/01/2020 2:40 pm, Marjorie . wrote:
Hi fellow MORE researchers

The MORE family I'm researching begins in Drymen, Stirlingshire about 1700 with:
John MORE c. 1700 married Margaret MCLEW born c. 1700
Their child of interest was John MOIR c 1727 married Katherine GRAHAM born c. 1729

Then William MORE/MOIR born c 1758 married Elizabeth BUCHANAN born  c. 1758
Offspring was David MORE c 1806 married Agnes Sloan GRAHAM in Glasgow, Lanarkshire in 1830

Their offspring of interest was David MORE 1847 who married Mary Jane CAMPBELL b. 1852
The family had migrated to Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire before scattering to many points of the globe including Canada and Australia.
Thanks for any help and will provide what help I can.

_._,_._,_

Patrick Fero

Not to confuse matters, although admittedly I probably am, but we've got Muirs in our background also, but can find no link between them and those being discussed here.
This is the limited information I have:

Nothing much back beyond William Moir (1818-1861)/Catherine Woodward (1828-1896) except his parents were likely William and Mary Moir.   No direct evidence back beyond that.  Also no direct evidence of any surname spelled More or Muir other than the belief that all of them stem from the same gene pool farther back.     Our clan likely came from Aberdeenshire.

The 1861 London Ontario census shows Margaret and William Moir and three kids (James 1819; Alexander 1824; and William 1818) living in the same neighborhood as the Woodwards and the Dwyers (all eventually intermarried).  St. Peter's Basilica Parish records there show our Moirs were married in 1850 and had child #1 (Isabella) in 1851.

Have not yet found the precise emigration year or the vessel on which they sailed but it's narrowed to 1848-49.   And, William and three of the six kids all died in the 1861 influenza epidemic (December).

Catherine remarried in Detroit in 1863 to Patrick Keating and they and the three surviving Moir kids (Isabella 1851, Daniel 1854, and William1856) moved up to Ovid in that time frame.

BTW, twins tend to run in the gene pool.   William was a twin (1818), his son Daniel had a twin John (1854), and his daughter Helen Neva Moore Newman (1897) was a twin (Hazel Eva 1897).

Patrick Fero
Pennsylvania

On 1/30/2020 5:08 PM, Jocelyn Gould wrote:

[...]

Hi Patrick and Listers,

I do agree with you, surnames were remarkably fluid pre 1800’s. Only in recent times with our education systems stabilised do we find surname conformity.

Also different country accents were difficult for recorders (generally English esp in Ireland) to understand and record correctly.

MOIR/MUIR/MOOR /MORE etc  are an ideal demonstration of this problem.

Kindly,

Dee