Marriage record - Mull

This shows the marriage of my wife's ancestors in Mull. "John McIlphadrig in ? and Janet Campbell ?? married" (14th August 1792).

Help with the words where I have put question marks would be great. The words after Janet's name might be "after proclamations" (of banns). Presumably the other word is where John lives, although I thought he lived in Penmore.

Thanks! Seymour

W David Samuelsen

Can't read at all because we can't enlarge it.

David

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 1:21 PM Seymour Hosking <seymourh@...> wrote:

This shows the marriage of my wife's ancestors in Mull. "John McIlphadrig in ? and Janet Campbell ?? married" (14th August 1792).

Help with the words where I have put question marks would be great. The words after Janet's name might be "after proclamations" (of banns). Presumably the other word is where John lives, although I thought he lived in Penmore.

Thanks! Seymour

Goldie & Lido Doratti

If what you think you see is right....GOOD NEWS!!  It names a croft or small village!!  Can you send a copy of the page to me direct and I’ll see what I can make of it?  Happy to help if I can.  It would be (likely) the first time the banns were read..usually 3 times.....in both parishes .. IE where the groom lived, and where the bride lived.  And yes it would be “proclamation”  This is too small for me to read, but I can do so.  Goldie

This shows the marriage of my wife's ancestors in Mull. "John McIlphadrig in ? and Janet Campbell ?? married" (14th August 1792).

Help with the words where I have put question marks would be great. The words after Janet's name might be "after proclamations" (of banns). Presumably the other word is where John lives, although I thought he lived in Penmore.

Thanks! Seymour

Goldie & Lido Doratti

Further.........check the whole page out..jut above the one you want it looks like he is living where there are McGregor alias names......could he also be one?  Goldie

This shows the marriage of my wife's ancestors in Mull. "John McIlphadrig in ? and Janet Campbell ?? married" (14th August 1792).

Help with the words where I have put question marks would be great. The words after Janet's name might be "after proclamations" (of banns). Presumably the other word is where John lives, although I thought he lived in Penmore.

Thanks! Seymour

Josephine Conray

Hi Seymour

This is from Ancestry, there are 14 family trees for this family and they had 7 children.

Aust.

Name:

John Mcilphadrig

Gender:

Male

Marriage Date:

Marriage Place:

Kilninian and Kilmore, Argyll, Scotland

Spouse:

Janet Campbell

FHL Film Number:

1041080

This shows the marriage of my wife's ancestors in Mull. "John McIlphadrig in ? and Janet Campbell ?? married" (14th August 1792).

Help with the words where I have put question marks would be great. The words after Janet's name might be "after proclamations" (of banns). Presumably the other word is where John lives, although I thought he lived in Penmore.

Thanks! Seymour

Anne Farrar

Could be Inverary the seat of Clam Campbell. Possibly her home?? I think you are right “after proclamations”

Hope this helps

Anne

This shows the marriage of my wife's ancestors in Mull. "John McIlphadrig in ? and Janet Campbell ?? married" (14th August 1792).

Help with the words where I have put question marks would be great. The words after Janet's name might be "after proclamations" (of banns). Presumably the other word is where John lives, although I thought he lived in Penmore.

Thanks! Seymour

Goldie & Lido Doratti

I’m placing my money on a Mac/McGregor here.........get on Scotland’s People and get the whole page.  Failing that see if you can find a marriage on Family Search.org for Janet Campbell.  If you have the ‘rest’ of the info down the line you should be able to take a guess at his approximate age and hers.......there is no shortage of Janet Campbells in that part of Scotland, nor McGregors.  Goldie

This shows the marriage of my wife's ancestors in Mull. "John McIlphadrig in ? and Janet Campbell ?? married" (14th August 1792).

Help with the words where I have put question marks would be great. The words after Janet's name might be "after proclamations" (of banns). Presumably the other word is where John lives, although I thought he lived in Penmore.

Thanks! Seymour

LorneandJudy

If you tap on the record on the page it enlargers. The words I think, are Inverary and I think the other word is proved marriage.
Judy

On Jan 22, 2021, at 6:28 PM, W David Samuelsen <sammyslc@...> wrote:

Can't read at all because we can't enlarge it.

David

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 1:21 PM Seymour Hosking <seymourh@...> wrote:
<1792 Kilninian marriage detail.jpg>

This shows the marriage of my wife's ancestors in Mull. "John McIlphadrig in ? and Janet Campbell ?? married" (14th August 1792).

Help with the words where I have put question marks would be great. The words after Janet's name might be "after proclamations" (of banns). Presumably the other word is where John lives, although I thought he lived in Penmore.

Thanks! Seymour

LorneandJudy

Yes, proclamation married.

On Jan 22, 2021, at 7:15 PM, LorneandJudy <lorneanderson@...> wrote:

[...]

I have enlarge the record and it looks to me like John McIlphadrig in Inivey  & Janet Campbell after proclamations Bas  married in I have found one family tree John McIlphadrig married 14 Aug 1792, Inivea, Kilninian & Kilmore A lot of tree have him born John Paterson AKA (McIlphadrig) born 4 Jan Penmore, Kilninian, & Kilmore   Hope this helps Josephine Qld Aust.

14

Can't read at all because we can't enlarge it.

David

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 1:21 PM Seymour Hosking <seymourh@...> wrote:

This shows the marriage of my wife's ancestors in Mull. "John McIlphadrig in ? and Janet Campbell ?? married" (14th August 1792).

Help with the words where I have put question marks would be great. The words after Janet's name might be "after proclamations" (of banns). Presumably the other word is where John lives, although I thought he lived in Penmore.

Thanks! Seymour

Anne Burgess

Definitely not Inveraray - not enough letters and if it had been it would have said 'in the parish of ...'

I read it as Inivey, so it's almost certainly Inivea.

See https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4840580
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4840591

Anne

John Kemplen

I agree with Anne that it says Inivey (a.k.a. Inivea), a long-deserted township south west of Cruach Sleibh and north of Calgary Bay.  I was looking for a place of that name in the Dervaig / Calgary area yesterday but couldn't find it because on the maps I was using it only appears fleetingly at certain zoom levels (not the highest levels!).  It is not named on the OS six-inch map of 1896 and only appears there as two building outlines (a small fraction of the original number of buildings), so it would appear to have been abandoned for some years by then.

John

On 22/01/2021 14:38, Seymour Hosking wrote:

This shows the marriage of my wife's ancestors in Mull. "John McIlphadrig in ? and Janet Campbell ?? married" (14th August 1792).

Help with the words where I have put question marks would be great. The words after Janet's name might be "after proclamations" (of banns). Presumably the other word is where John lives, although I thought he lived in Penmore.

Thanks! Seymour

Thanks to everyone who responded. Inivey / Inivea it is.  What a team we are!

Seymour

Anne Burgess

If you had clicked on the links in my previous e-mail, you would have seen two photographs of Inivea and a map showing and naming it.

Anne

Anne - I certainly did click on the links - much appreciated.  And I will visit as soon as circumstances permit!