Topics

Lochaber & North Argyll Family History Group.

Les Horn

Now that the Rootsweb Lists for Argyll and Inverness-shire are closing this is a good time to remind the old users of those Lists, and those who have since joined this, of the Parishes covered by the Lochaber & North Argyll Family History Group. The Group has a Facebook page.

The Group covers the Parishes in (north) Argyll which were subsumed into the Highland Region with the re-organisation in 1974, and those in Inverness-shire in Lochaber.

ARGYLL

(Corran of)  Ardgour (part of Ballachulish & Corran of Ardgour Quoad Sacra Parish [QSP])

Ardnamurchan (includes Kilchoan/Ardnamurchan Proper, Acharacle (below Loch Sheil) and Strontian/Sunart)

Lismore & Appin ( includes Appin, (south) Ballachulish/Laroch and Glencoe, Duror, Kingairloch and Lismore)

Morvern

INVERNESS-SHIRE (LOCHABER)

Ardamurchan (includes Acharacle (above Loch Sheil), Arisaig and Moidart)

Kilmallie (north of Loch Eil) was Argyll pre 1891

(north) Ballachulish, Kinlocheven & Onich (part of Ballachulish & Corran of Ardgour QSP])

Kilmonivaig (includes Invergarry and Spean)

Small Isles (Canna & Sanday, Eigg, Muck and Rum

South Morar (includes Mallaig),

Edie Mc

Hi
Thanks for useful information.  Can you tell me if the Lismore is the Isle of Lismore or are they close, the males in my family have a DNA location as the Isle of Lismore, one of three locations.

Thanks
Edie McArthur

--
eamca57

Anne Burgess

The island of Lismore is the only Lismore listed in the Ordnance Survey Name Books (1850s).

However it makes up a united parish with Appin, on the adjacent mainland, so it is just possible that someone unfamiliar with the geography might get a bit confused.

[...]

HI Anne,
 Can you direct me to where I can find a copy of that  1850 Ordnance Survey Name book would you have the website for that one please.  I have viewed the Breadalbane Survey for 1767, so hopefully it is o the net somewhere.
thanks
Edie Mcarthur

Angus Administrator <angus.admin@...>

[...]

Would you like to link that Facebook page to a subgroup here for Lochaber & North Argyll? I can create it for you and then pass you ownership of the subgroup. Let's discuss this if you are interested, privately. My email is valorie.zimmerman@...

All the best,

Valorie

Les Horn

Edie

Yes, the Lismore in Lismore & Appin Parish is Lismore Island.

Regards
Les

Edie Mc

Thank you Anne. Just saw your message. Havent been on the computer for over a week.

Can you direct me to where I can find a copy of that 1850 Ordnance Survey Name book would you have the website for that one please. I have viewed the Breadalbane Survey for 1767, so hopefully it is o the net somewhere.
thanks
Edie Mcarthur

--
eamca57