Topics

James Alexander Dallas GRAY 1866-1899

Rosemary

Hi All,

James Alexander Dallas GRAY was my great grandfather and was born in 1866 in Edinburgh. I've always wondered where his middle name of Dallas came from.

None of his siblings have this as part of their name and, as I've worked on the family, I haven't found anyone with that name as a surname. He never gave any of his children that name either. There's just this one occurrence.

Maybe they just liked it - but I'd really like to find a better explanation :-)

Rosemary
Northumberland, UK

stuart.adam@...

Trying to think out of the box here ... There is a place called Dallas in Moray.  It is not unheard of to use a favourite place as an additional middle name.  If you have evidence of the parents or other close family living, visiting, or originating from Moray, then this would be a possibility.

Regards
Stuart

Rosemary

Hi Stuart,

Good thought - but none of his ancestors, as far as I know, were associated with Moray. They're all from Midlothian particularly Edinburgh and Dalkeith

Rosemary
Northumberland, UK

On 18/01/2020 08:29, stuart.adam@... wrote:
Trying to think out of the box here ... There is a place called Dallas in Moray.  It is not unheard of to use a favourite place as an additional middle name.  If you have evidence of the parents or other close family living, visiting, or originating from Moray, then this would be a possibility.
Regards
Stuart

stuart.adam@...

Ok - final thought - I have also found a middle name associated with a very close friend who was a neighbour (found by accident on a census). You may want to examine the census listings for 1851/61/71 and see if any of the neighbours of James' parents had the surname DALLAS.  Yes, its not likely, but I guess you are looking for any line of enquiry. Good luck!
Regards
Stuart

Rosemary

Hi Stuart,

On 18/01/2020 21:02, stuart.adam@... wrote:
Ok - final thought -
Listening :D

I have also found a middle name associated with a very close friend who was a neighbour (found by accident on a census). You may want to examine the census listings for 1851/61/71 and see if any of the neighbours of James' parents had the surname DALLAS.  Yes, its not likely, but I guess you are looking for any line of enquiry.
I did wonder about it being the name from a friend but I couldn't see a way of finding out - your suggestion may be the proverbial needle in a haystack but certainly worth a look,

Thank you,

Rosemary
Northumberland, UK