From: "Lauraine Syrnick" <lauraine.syrnick@...>
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, 25 Feb, 2020 At 11:40 AM
Subject: [ScotGen] illigitmacy

Hmm - no so sure I agree with you. In the 1890-1900, an illegitimate child is definitely noted on its birth certificate as “illegitimate"
aa there is one in my family (that I know of). I will do some research on this so thanks for bringing it up.

Lauraine

--
EdieMc

LorneandJudy

The use of the word “illegitimate” was discontinued after 1918.
Judy ANderson nee Stables

On Feb 24, 2020, at 8:06 PM, Edie Mc <eamca1944@...> wrote:

I do have an illegitimate child born 1850 and it does say Illegitimate and have seen others that early as illigitmate as well.
Edie Mc

Hmm - no so sure I agree with you. In the 1890-1900, an illegitimate child is definitely noted on its birth certificate as “illegitimate"
aa there is one in my family (that I know of). I will do some research on this so thanks for bringing it up.

Lauraine

--
EdieMc

DixieAC

Interesting. Did they replace it with something or just give name of mom and — if known — the father?
Dixie Cutler

On Feb 24, 2020, at 11:47 PM, LorneandJudy <lorneanderson@...> wrote:

The use of the word “illegitimate” was discontinued after 1918.
Judy ANderson nee Stables
On Feb 24, 2020, at 8:06 PM, Edie Mc <eamca1944@...> wrote:

I do have an illegitimate child born 1850 and it does say Illegitimate and have seen others that early as illigitmate as well.
Edie Mc

Hmm - no so sure I agree with you. In the 1890-1900, an illegitimate child is definitely noted on its birth certificate as “illegitimate"
aa there is one in my family (that I know of). I will do some research on this so thanks for bringing it up.

Lauraine

--
EdieMc

Lauraine Syrnick

Am not sure about this, but was told by a Scottish lady that “hand fasting” was popular in Scotland. Apparently that is two people could say they were married (unsure if witnesses were required) and usually until a baby was to be born shortly did not go through the formal process of marrying before a minister. Unsure how the church dealt with this either?? A church sanctioned marriage costed money and many people did not have the funds. If this is a myth, please let me know.

Lauraine

On Feb 25, 2020, at 1:47, LorneandJudy <lorneanderson@...> wrote:

The use of the word “illegitimate” was discontinued after 1918.
Judy ANderson nee Stables
On Feb 24, 2020, at 8:06 PM, Edie Mc <eamca1944@...> wrote:

I do have an illegitimate child born 1850 and it does say Illegitimate and have seen others that early as illigitmate as well.
Edie Mc

Hmm - no so sure I agree with you. In the 1890-1900, an illegitimate child is definitely noted on its birth certificate as “illegitimate"
aa there is one in my family (that I know of). I will do some research on this so thanks for bringing it up.

Lauraine

--
EdieMc

Carolyn Perkes <cperkes@...>

There is an explanation of "irregular" marriages (marriages by declaration) here:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/article/irregular-marriage-scotland

Carolyn

On 25/02/20 16:24, Lauraine Syrnick <lauraine.syrnick@...> wrote:
Am not sure about this, but was told by a Scottish lady that “hand fasting” was popular in Scotland.  Apparently that is two people could say they were married (unsure if witnesses were required) and usually until a baby was to be born shortly did not go through the formal process of marrying before a minister.  Unsure how the church dealt with this either??  A church sanctioned marriage costed money and many people did not have the funds.  If this is a myth, please let me know.

Lauraine

On Feb 25, 2020, at 1:47, LorneandJudy <lorneanderson@...> wrote:

> The use of the word “illegitimate” was discontinued after 1918.
> Judy ANderson nee Stables
>> On Feb 24, 2020, at 8:06 PM, Edie Mc <eamca1944@...> wrote:
>>
>> I do have an illegitimate child born 1850 and it does say Illegitimate and have seen others that early as illigitmate as well.
>> Edie Mc

Jocelyn Gould

Other terms for illegitimacy were 'base born', 'natural born' or 'bastard'.  It was always noted in the register one way or another.

Jocelyn

On 26/02/2020 7:53 am, Carolyn Perkes wrote:
There is an explanation of "irregular" marriages (marriages by declaration) here:

Carolyn
._,_

Les Horn

It should be noted that, in Scotland, a child born illegitimately became legitimate upon the subsequent marriage of its parents. Post 1855 this would be recorded as an RCA in the Register of Births.  This is particularly important when it comes to inheritance.

Les

Lauraine Syrnick

What does RCA stand for?
LAuraine

On Feb 27, 2020, at 8:52 AM, Les Horn <leshorn44@...> wrote:

It should be noted that, in Scotland, a child born illegitimately became legitimate upon the subsequent marriage of its parents. Post 1855 this would be recorded as an RCA in the Register of Births.  This is particularly important when it comes to inheritance.

Les

Curt Mills, WE7U

So what does "RCA" stand for?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 6:52 AM Les Horn <leshorn44@...> wrote:

It should be noted that, in Scotland, a child born illegitimately became legitimate upon the subsequent marriage of its parents. Post 1855 this would be recorded as an RCA in the Register of Births. This is particularly important when it comes to inheritance.

Les

Anne Burgess

RCA is a typographical error for RCE, which is the abbreviation for Register of Corrected Entries. A certificate, once recorded, can't be altered, so any changes (e.g. addition of a father following a paternity case, an amendment to cause of death following post-mortem, a change in a child's name and so on) - are recorded in a separate book, the RCE. If you view a certificate at Scotland's People that has an RCE entry, there should be a link to the page in the RCE.

Jocelyn Gould

RCA = Register of Corrected Entries where information obtained subsequent to the issue of the death certificate includes information not previously available.  I have two of them for deaths in Scotland.

Jocelyn