Hugh Stewart born Easdale 1846

I can see this group might be able to help in a lost cause.

Lola Cook contacted me a few years ago. Her grandfather Hugh Stewart was born in Easdale about 1846. He joined the army and became a Chelsea pensioner.

In 1885 he married Catherine Ewing in Campbeltown and she then had a son Robert McEwing Stewart in 1886.

Lola and I, despite years of searching, can find no trace of Hugh after 1885.  We've checked census records, death records, emigration records etc.

It looks as if Hugh took off and left Catherine in the lurch. In the 1901 census neither she nor Robert uses the name Stewart.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Josephine Conray

Hi Seymour

There are about 12 family trees on Ancestry and one has that Hugh Stewart b 1846 in Easdale and died 1921 in Campbeltown.

There is a record on Scotland People for Hugh Stewart age 74 died 1921 in Campbeltown Ref/no 501/7 could be worth a look.

Robert McEwing Stewart born 25 July 1886 and died 25 July 1958 in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. Married to Camille Maria Brezzi b1896-1946 married  on 31 August 1929 London

There is also two Family tree that has Hugh Stewart died 1902 in Güls, Koblenz, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany

Hope this can help

I can see this group might be able to help in a lost cause.

Lola Cook contacted me a few years ago. Her grandfather Hugh Stewart was born in Easdale about 1846. He joined the army and became a Chelsea pensioner.

In 1885 he married Catherine Ewing in Campbeltown and she then had a son Robert McEwing Stewart in 1886.

Lola and I, despite years of searching, can find no trace of Hugh after 1885.  We've checked census records, death records, emigration records etc.

It looks as if Hugh took off and left Catherine in the lurch. In the 1901 census neither she nor Robert uses the name Stewart.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Edie Mc

Several family histories of Stewarts at the Scottish Genealogy Society in this list of families they have records of.  Families other members may be looking for as well.

https://www.scotsgenealogy.com/FamilyHistories/FamilyHistoriesAll.aspx

Did you look for him in Prison someplace.  I presume you have seen his Chelsea Pensioner  record for his movements.  He was only 39 between birth and 1885.  Could be a name change.  DNA may be useful here as well.

Edie McArthur

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
EdieMc

Tricia

i see a marriage cert for Hugh Stewart and Catherine McEwing 1 Dec 1885 in Campbeltown  He is a Masons labourer and says aged 30. She is 28.  His parents John Stewart and Mary McCaig both deceased.   if he is 30 then born c 1855 ????   Her parents Joseph McEwing  and Mary Wallace both living.      Is this same family.   Was his age wrong.

lola.cook@shaw.ca

Yes, he is actually 38.  I have been researching Hugh Stewart for many years as he is my paternal grandfather.  He is my “brick wall” as I have all his family, his army career and some work life as Masons Labourer, marriage (and all the McEwing family) and birth of my father, Robert McEwing…..but I’ve never been able to find out what happened to him after the hasty marriage….he disappears and I’ve never found another census record or his death.
Apparently “Stewart” is a very common name in Scotland….and there seems to have been MANY Hugh Stewarts too!!  I would appreciate any further help in this matter….I’ve followed a number of leads but haven’t been able to find MY Hugh Stewart!!
Lola Cook (nee McEwing)        I never knew my father was really a “Stewart” as his mother reverted to her maiden name, McEwing, after Hugh disappeared and my father was always a McEwing, so I knew no different until I started my genealogy research.

On Oct 5, 2021, at 9:00 AM, Tricia via groups.io <tricia.barnett@...> wrote:

i see a marriage cert for Hugh Stewart and Catherine McEwing 1 Dec 1885 in Campbeltown  He is a Masons labourer and says aged 30. She is 28.  His parents John Stewart and Mary McCaig both deceased.   if he is 30 then born c 1855 ????   Her parents Joseph McEwing  and Mary Wallace both living.      Is this same family.   Was his age wrong.

Tricia

Robert McEwing Stewart was b 25 July 1886 Address  Cross St Campbeltown.  His parents named and their marriage date (as my last post) was confirmed.  Catherine Stewart his mother reg the birth with a X her mark'. The witness  to her X was the assist registrarJohn Stewart?

the Campbeltown 1921 death mentioned before was a Hugh  Stewart aged 74 widower of an Ann Bell.     His parents named as a James Stewart and  Euphemia McLellan.  His son Donald was informant,  I have the cert and can send

lola.cook@shaw.ca

This Hugh Stewart and Ann Bell is NOT my Hugh Stewart…..he appeared often during my research and nothing about him or his family match my research on MY Hugh Stewart.
Lola Cook

On Oct 5, 2021, at 9:41 AM, Tricia via groups.io <tricia.barnett@...> wrote:

Robert McEwing Stewart was b 25 July 1886 Address  Cross St Campbeltown.  His parents named and their marriage date (as my last post) was confirmed.  Catherine Stewart his mother reg the birth with a X her mark'. The witness  to her X was the assist registrarJohn Stewart?

the Campbeltown 1921 death mentioned before was a Hugh  Stewart aged 74 widower of an Ann Bell.     His parents named as a James Stewart and  Euphemia McLellan.  His son Donald was informant,  I have the cert and can send

Tricia

1891 census  young Robert aged 4 is with his grandmother Mary McEwing (widowed)...
address Pans Campbeltown.

lola.cook@shaw.ca

Thanks, Tricia…..I have this record and he’s Robert McEwing from then on…..I have all the McEwing family records as well.  Robert McEwing was my father.  I never knew the “Stewart” line until I started doing genealogy.
Lola

On Oct 5, 2021, at 10:28 AM, Tricia via groups.io <tricia.barnett@...> wrote:

1891 census  young Robert aged 4 is with his grandmother Mary McEwing (widowed)...
address Pans Campbeltown.

<dummyfile.0.part>

Tricia

Is there a male son or g'son  on Robert McEwing's (b to Hugh Stewart)  direct  line who could test the Ydna.  Ydna is passed only father to son so Robert would have Hugh's Y and Passed it down to any sons he had.       I know there are loads of Stewarts(also Stuart spelling)...   I have many Scottish  Stewarts and have lots of info.

lola.cook@shaw.ca

Hi Tricia,
You’re a great help!  I am Robert McEwing’s daughter….there was a stillborn son 2 years before me.  However, I have 2 sons who would be Robert’s grandsons.  I can see of one of them would get the Ydna test.  What would this give us….a possible link to further Stewarts in Hugh’s line??  I’m still thinking I should pursue the Chelsea Pensioner link to try and see when the pension ended and therefore maybe his death….or if he ended up in a Chelsea Pensioner hospital…..but I need a researcher there in London to do that.  What do you think?
Lola

On Oct 7, 2021, at 11:13 AM, Tricia via groups.io <tricia.barnett@...> wrote:

Is there a male son or g'son  on Robert McEwing's (b to Hugh Stewart)  direct  line who could test the Ydna.  Ydna is passed only father to son so Robert would have Hugh's Y and Passed it down to any sons he had.       I know there are loads of Stewarts(also Stuart spelling)...   I have many Scottish  Stewarts and have lots of info.

Tricia

in 1851 Hugh  aged 5 was with his parents in EASDALE ARGYLL.   John Stewart 37 and Mary McCaig  34 and his brothers Robert 7 and John 3..  1861 they are with 2 other children nowi n Kildalton parish Argyle,        NOTE  There was the other Hugh of similar age born In Campbletown!   I need to look closer ...

lola.cook@shaw.ca

Yes, and that other Hugh kept appearing through the years!!  As well as many Hugh Stewart’s along the way…..must have been a favourite boy’s name!
Lola

On Oct 7, 2021, at 12:19 PM, Tricia via groups.io <tricia.barnett@...> wrote:

in 1851 Hugh  aged 5 was with his parents in EASDALE ARGYLL.   John Stewart 37 and Mary McCaig  34 and his brothers Robert 7 and John 3..  1861 they are with 2 other children nowi n Kildalton parish Argyle,        NOTE  There was the other Hugh of similar age born In Campbletown!   I need to look closer ...

Tricia

DEATH of HUGH's mother   Mary  Stewart (maiden name McCaig).. I have her death cert 1872  aged 56 in Shore Street BOWMORE Argyll.  Wid of John Stewart a tinsman.  Her parents named as Donald McCaig and Betsy Brown.  Informant was her daughter Susan.   (Susan was in 1861 census above aged 7)
and in 1871 only 2 of them Susan 17 and her mother widow age 56 at:
Piece: SCT1871/536 Place: Bowmore & Kilarrow -Argyllshire Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Bowmore & Kilarrow Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Bowmore
Folio: 0 Page: 13 Schedule: 79
Address: 33 Shore St

lola.cook@shaw.ca

Thanks, Tricia…..I have all these records.
Lola

On Oct 7, 2021, at 12:55 PM, Tricia via groups.io <tricia.barnett@...> wrote:

DEATH of HUGH's mother   Mary  Stewart (maiden name McCaig).. I have her death cert 1872  aged 56 in Shore Street BOWMORE Argyll.  Wid of John Stewart a tinsman.  Her parents named as Donald McCaig and Betsy Brown.  Informant was her daughter Susan.   (Susan was in 1861 census above aged 7)
and in 1871 only 2 of them Susan 17 and her mother widow age 56 at:
Piece: SCT1871/536 Place: Bowmore & Kilarrow -Argyllshire Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Bowmore & Kilarrow Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Bowmore
Folio: 0 Page: 13 Schedule: 79
Address: 33 Shore St

Anne Burgess

Hugh is not all that common, actually.

Using the 'Quick Search' on SP there are 918,730 mentions of Hugh. This is a small proportion of the number of mentions of John (10,615,540), James (8,952,350), or Wiliam (7,922,645). Be glad that your quarry wasn't given one of those names :)

The Y-DNA test can trace only the direct male line, so it would not give you a link to other Stewarts.

Anne

Tricia

Thanks Anne.    Yes there are so many STEWART/STUART.
My Stewart line tested from a male Stewart line links back via paper tree and Ydna  to Stewart/Stuart  in Crathie and Braemar in Scotland  and records of earlier confirmed matches.

RE Ydna  .... Ydna has helped many trace their lines and of course we know  it is only passed via the biological father.  This is where it may help LOLA with her Robert McEWING who was born as a Stewart and biological son of the Hugh Stewart.   Therefore his YDNA could be very interesting and help get us further back.
plain dna if you have tested Lola may also help .
Happy to help.  Cant contact me direct if you want.

Tricia

Tricia

Lola    ...your son's would NOT carry the Ydna from your father Robert  ....their Ydna would be COOK paternal...
They could test normal dna and then there could be matches  if any in Hughs family had tested.    familytreedna.com  for Ydna  and dna ...
I am going to explore further on Hughs siblings....   do you have any data.
Chelsea Pensioner.   Can you tell me what definite info you have for Hugh.

Seymour Hi..  where do you link.

Edie Mc

https://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/tracing-ancestors

You could enquire here Lola.