Topics

How many people on this list are r1b1c7

Embleton House

I know next to nothing about genetics other then I was a parent of a child with Cystic Fibrosis. Unfortunately she died many years ago at 7 years of age.

I have had my DNA tested and of course I am a carrier of CF as as is my husband of CF, my other children are also carriers of CF.

 I know I am 60 % Scottish ( My dad was born in Islay. I know I am 20% Irish. My Great grandmother was born in Port Rush Ireland and her name was Elizabeth Rush. The other portions is European.

What I don t know is how this all works together. Any one have some educational materials they can recommend?

Faith

Embleton House B&B

Licence # 009-002809

5203 52 Street

Yellowknife, NT.

Canada, X1A 1T8

Ph: 1-867-873-2892 Ext: 0

Ph: Toll free in North America: 1-888-909-5203

Fax: 1-867-873-4927

I haven’t had my DNA tested (for genealogy, anyway - I did have genetic testing due to a breast cancer diagnosis 6 years ago). So I’m afraid I can’t help. However, my dad and I are having difficulty getting info on my 6th grandfather born in Islay and I wondered if you had any tips on research in that specific area outside of Scotland’s People and church records. He was kidnapped at 9 years old on an Islay beach and came to the US through NY 10 years later (1761). There are no birth records we can find, so we don’t know his parents’ names. Only that his dad was a MacQuarrie/MacQueaghrie that died in Scotland in 1746 at the age of 26. No first name known, no wife known. :( Any info on researching for Islay would be helpful!

• Ashlee White •

On Dec 11, 2020, at 4:08 PM, Embleton House <ehouse@...> wrote:

[...]

LorneandJudy

Having your DNA, especially on Ancestry, would be a start. You will be able to see generation after generation that the male DNA doesn’t change and perhaps be able to sort your ancestor out that way.
Cheers,
Judy Anderson

On Dec 11, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Ashlee McCoury White <ashlee_white05@...> wrote:

[...]

My dad has done that already. No one we have found on Ancestry has any info. :( But thank you!

• Ashlee White •

On Dec 11, 2020, at 6:30 PM, LorneandJudy <lorneanderson@...> wrote:

[...]

So, none of your connections had Trees connected? Usually if you don’t have a full membership, sadly you don’t get to see the Family Trees.

On Dec 11, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Ashlee McCoury White <ashlee_white05@...> wrote:

[...]

Josephine Conray

Hi Ashlee

Send the names & date of the people you’re looking for and I will have a look on Ancestry to see if there is anything

Aust.

[...]

Dee Horn

According to my DNA my family has lots of Scots in the family.  My brother is the only surviving male from my father and mothers line.  I am trying to get him to do a DNA test thru CGI, also Ancestry & 23 and me.  He also has 2 surviving sons who are not intrested in being tested and the only reason my brother is interested is because myself and my daughters have lots of medical problems  so he said he will do it for me, Has only taken me 10 years to talk him into it.  The nearest family i have found is 1st cousin 7x removed after that there is some 3rd and several 4th

I put back what i can each month then hit them up when they go on sale.  I still need to update mine and get 4 more people done.

Dee Horn
My DNA makes Heinz 57 Look poor lol as to Countriesi have ancestors in

LorneandJudy

I have found, I think perhaps the family for Ashlee. The surname spellings are different( common occurrence as we all know) but the story is extremely similar.image1.pngimage2.pngimage3.jpeg
I hope this will post.
Judy Anderson nee Stables
Surrey BC Canada

On Dec 11, 2020, at 7:00 PM, Josephine Conray <javc@...> wrote:

[...]

::ad removed by moderator::

W David Samuelsen

At least mine is R1B1 not the rest, but my Hamilton is not Viking one - it's Roman as in Roman Empire.

Still trying to solve Malseed/Malsed - Grant switcheroo.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 11:35 PM Dee Horn via groups.io <dx2_horn=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
According to my DNA my family has lots of Scots in the family.  My brother is the only surviving male from my father and mothers line.  I am trying to get him to do a DNA test thru CGI, also Ancestry & 23 and me.  He also has 2 surviving sons who are not intrested in being tested and the only reason my brother is interested is because myself and my daughters have lots of medical problems  so he said he will do it for me, Has only taken me 10 years to talk him into it.  The nearest family i have found is 1st cousin 7x removed after that there is some 3rd and several 4th

I put back what i can each month then hit them up when they go on sale.  I still need to update mine and get 4 more people done.

Dee Horn
My DNA makes Heinz 57 Look poor lol as to Countriesi have ancestors in

Dee, can you tell us what advantage CGI offers? That test has no value for genealogy research.

Ancestry + 23andMe is a great idea, since you can upload results elsewhere with either of those (Family Tree DNA, MyHeritage, LivingDNA, Gedmatch, Geneanet). His Y DNA at Family Tree DNA can be useful as well and while you're at it, add on a mitochondrial test, since you and he have the same mtDNA. In my opinion, have him do the Big Y if you can afford it. I think both that and the mt tests will become increasingly useful as more people do them. - Valorie

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 10:35 PM Dee Horn via groups.io <dx2_horn=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
According to my DNA my family has lots of Scots in the family.  My brother is the only surviving male from my father and mothers line.  I am trying to get him to do a DNA test thru CGI, also Ancestry & 23 and me.  He also has 2 surviving sons who are not intrested in being tested and the only reason my brother is interested is because myself and my daughters have lots of medical problems  so he said he will do it for me, Has only taken me 10 years to talk him into it.  The nearest family i have found is 1st cousin 7x removed after that there is some 3rd and several 4th

I put back what i can each month then hit them up when they go on sale.  I still need to update mine and get 4 more people done.

Dee Horn
My DNA makes Heinz 57 Look poor lol as to Countriesi have ancestors in

Dee Horn

Problem is I can't afford the more expensive tests. and cut my   Social Security finally decided to put me on my ex my SS and cut my disability from $657 to $124 and take away my SS check and give me only $506 on his SS.  So i lost  almost $300 from my total SS.  I would love to go thru Family tree and get my brothers full DNA done.  And they did this without telling me they were going to do it so it was a big surprise to me when i got the letter.  And even with them lowering my disability I am still not allowed to work and at 73 not many people would give me a job.

Dee Horn

Aww, thank you. I have an Ancestry subscription. Just can’t get more info on parents or anyone beyond my 6th great grandfather. His name was Malcolm McCourry, 1742-1829. We know all about him as far as his kidnapping, settling in NJ, and eventually moving to NC. We just know nothing of his parents. Some show that his last name was a variation of MacQuarie before he came to NY. So all we know of his dad is that last name, the possible first name of John, 1720-1742, Argyll, Islay. All we know of his mom is a possible first name of Rachel. But even with that info, we can’t get any further. You’re welcome to dig around if you want. I welcome the help!

• Ashlee White •

[...]

Yes, that’s him (Except his first name isn’t Benjamin - that somehow has made it onto some trees. He eventually settled in western NC and I’ve actually visited his grace. Just can’t find much info on his mother or father to go further. When we’ve researched John as his father, the location and other things just don’t add up. His mother is possibly Rachel, but we know nothing more. Thanks though! And keep on digging if you want! :)

• Ashlee White •

On Dec 12, 2020, at 1:44 AM, LorneandJudy <lorneanderson@...> wrote:

[...]

Howard

Ashlee,

Re MacQuarrie/MacQueaghrie
, my line goes back to McQuarrie but in Ayrshire, not Islay (despite years of trying!). But there are variations you might like to look out for.

- McWharrie is the main predecessor of my McQuarrie line - the transformation from McWharrie to McQuarrie can be seen in the same people over their lifetimes. My earliest ancestor is John McWharrie then McQuarrie & Kathrine Campbell who were in New Cumnock, Ayshire abt 1767 on. A variation on the variation is Wharrie.

- McQueenzey (I assume pronounced mac-queeny, silent 'z'), which is close to McQuhenzie which itself is a variation of McWhinnie. This baptismal record might simply be a clerical error because McWhinnie was a lot more common in the parish than McWharrie, but there it is in 1775 in the OPR so cannot just be ignored.

Of course, my McQuarries might have been McWharries in the first place who came from somewhere else. But appearing in Ayrshire with a Campbell wife, and with recurring forenames of Flora and Colin and Lachlan, does rather indicate McQuarrie Islay / Ulva origins.

Thank you! This is helpful.

On Dec 12, 2020, at 6:03 AM, Howard <hw_03-lst-mor@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok, well it is good that I seem to be on the right track. Have you been in contact with the person that owned that Tree. So, I am guessing any military or marriage/death records have his parents named. I did see that his first wife was a Rachel. You must have seen the picture then of all those fellow at his gravesite and that a 4th GG had written a note also?

On Dec 12, 2020, at 1:03 AM, Ashlee McCoury White <ashlee_white05@...> wrote:

[...]

tsinclair@...

Hi there,
I'm new to this particular list, but was on an Islay list for many years.  Together, members put together a lot of Islay information, including one page with Surnames and corresponding researchers.  Here are a couple of other researchers you might be able to contact:
McQUARRIE     Pat McCabe mccabe@...
McQUARY Leorin? New York, 1739 Gerry Lindsay lindsay@...

I was in Australia some years ago, and I remember reading about a MacQuarrie who became very famous there.  But oddly, there was a similar story about him being kidnapped and taken there.  You could also google "Clan MacQuarrie" and find all sorts of interesting links there.
For those of you with other Islay interests, just google "Rootsweb + Islay", and you'll find a gold mine of information by clicking on various links.  Good luck,
Toni Sinclair, Canada  (tracing all Islay Sinclairs)

M. Diane Rogers

There is an Islay Genealogy list still. To join - https://scotland-genealogy.groups.io/g/Islay

The Islay Genealogy website is here: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~steve/islay/data.htm

Diane
M Diane Rogers
Carmichael, Gilchrist - Islay
Nimmo, Pollock, Scott - Borders, Glasgow

I'm new to this particular list, but was on an Islay list for many years.  Together, members put together a lot of Islay information, including one page with Surnames and corresponding researchers.  Here are a couple of other researchers you might be able to contact:
McQUARRIE  Pat McCabemccabe@...
McQUARYLeorin?New York, 1739Gerry Lindsaylindsay@...

I was in Australia some years ago, and I remember reading about a MacQuarrie who became very famous there.  But oddly, there was a similar story about him being kidnapped and taken there.  You could also google "Clan MacQuarrie" and find all sorts of interesting links there.
For those of you with other Islay interests, just google "Rootsweb + Islay", and you'll find a gold mine of information by clicking on various links.  Good luck,
Toni Sinclair, Canada  (tracing all Islay Sinclairs)

He served in the American Revolution, but none of the records have found through fold three or daughters of the American Revolution show parents names. North Carolina didn’t start issuing death certificates until the early 1900s. He passed in 1829.

Yes, his first wife was Rachel and he had six kids with her. Then he left New Jersey and moved to North Carolina and remarried, having 4 more children, which is where my family line comes into play. We don’t know why he left his wife in New Jersey.

On Dec 12, 2020, at 3:36 PM, LorneandJudy <lorneanderson@...> wrote:

Ok, well it is good that I seem to be on the right track. Have you been in contact with the person that owned that Tree. So, I am guessing any military or marriage/death records have his parents named. I did see that his first wife was a Rachel. You must have seen the picture then of all those fellow at his gravesite and that a 4th GG had written a note also?
<image0.png>

[...]

Lorraine Wootton

I think you may be referring to Major General Lachlan Macquarie, who was Governor of New South Wales from 1810 – 1822.
At that time the whole settled areas of Australia including the island of Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania) was known as NSW, and there was a Lieut Governor in VDL.

Scottish born Lachlan Macquarie is known as the ‘Father of Australia’ and these links will tell you much more about the man credited with transforming fledgling colony.
He is buried on the Isle of Mull and his tombstone includes the inscription ‘Father of Australia’.

Enjoy....Lorraine