Topics

handfasting

Jocelyn Gould

No, handfasting is not a myth - it was a Celtic custom done in front of witnesses.  Cheaper than a church ceremony.

Jocelyn

On 26/02/2020 7:24 am, Lauraine Syrnick wrote:
Am not sure about this, but was told by a Scottish lady that “hand fasting” was popular in Scotland. Apparently that is two people could say they were married (unsure if witnesses were required) and usually until a baby was to be born shortly did not go through the formal process of marrying before a minister. Unsure how the church dealt with this either?? A church sanctioned marriage costed money and many people did not have the funds. If this is a myth, please let me know.

Lauraine

Ray Rob