Topics

Elder DNA

Bob Elder

I had my DNA 67 markers carried out a few years ago with Family Tree DNA group. The only hits I got were McCleland clan, &  few of others but none of the Elder family the family I’m after. Will it be worth trying again or will I be throwing good money after bad?

Bob

Hi Bob,

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 1:56 AM Bob Elder via groups.io <relder=tiscali.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I had my DNA 67 markers carried out a few years ago with Family Tree DNA group. The only hits I got were McCleland clan, &  few of others but none of the Elder family the family I’m after. Will it be worth trying again or will I be throwing good money after bad?

Bob

What exactly do you mean by "trying again"? The most important thing you can do with Y dna results is to join a project or two, and share your data with the group admins. Since Y dna is very slow to change, it can reach far into the past, before surnames. if you have very few Elder men test, you will have very few matches.

So this is my advice, based on experience and the advice of others:

1. Join a haplogroup DNA project at FTdna. Contact the admins and ask if they have the access they need to make use of your data, and ask for their help to make the changes they suggest. After they finish putting your listing in the group database, ask them for advice. Should you upgrade? Or is it better to find and recruit more men to test?

2. After looking at your results in the haplogroup project, consider joining a surname project as well. Even small surname projects can be useful. Both my Cowan and McBee memberships have been very fruitful. These were my dad's and uncle's tests. If I had unlimited time and money, I would find men for other Y DNA tests I'm curious about too!

3. If the project admins suggest upgrading your test to Big Y, go for it. I think in future this will be the gold standard for Y testing. It's coming down in price; wait until there's an upgrade sale. Your project leader can get you even more of a discount sometimes. Big Y gets you all the information possible from that tiny little Y chromosome.

4. Keep doing your research! This is how you will find other male-line men you can ask to test. Both Y and mitochondrial testing can prove (or disprove) genealogical questions far into the past, but the research must be meticulous.

If your questions are not far into the past, spend your energy on autosomal testing instead. Once you have flogged your Ancestry DNA matches and their matches, then upload elsewhere and do the same. Remember to put all those matches into your tree! That is how you will make the breakthroughs in the past two centuries.

Y and mt can take you further, but only on the matri-patrilineal lines. Autosomal gets all your lines, but only back a few hundred years.

Valorie

Hi Bob,

It can be disappointing after paying out so much money to have your DNA tested only to find you are not who you thought you were.  I have this experience twice now.  At 70, I paid for my brothers  DNA. Did the Y67 marker and found heaps of names too many,   but not the PLACE surname I was after. Left it for a few years then did my own with ancestry and got this large cm match but not with PLACE  but with BARTON (they go back to Scotland and Ireland) Colonel William Robert BARTON and also a match with his wife Ann BOGUES (Ireland) I was looking for a great grandfather, my match was a match with a gt gt grandfather W R BARTON. My Gt GF  was one of their seven sons, not sure which one but at least I had found a common ancestors, albeit if a different name.  Also I had my daughters DNA tested on ancestry for her fathers line, then had his tested on Family Tree DNA no sign of the MCARTHUR name.  Like you several other Clan surnames, updated to Y111 just nine men with four names the main one McDonald/MacDonald along with one  McKay, Carmichael, Campbell, McNeil.  Most were from the Caithness, Scotland region. Having also done a Ancestry.com. Test for my former husband noted thirteen McDonalds 6 of whom ancestry say his DNA showed he was related.  I did write to them all but no reply, but the fact it is clear he  doesn’t to date. have McARTHUR DNA.  But, on Family Tree DNA it is a 8 step match which is only a possible relationship, so we need a 7 step for a definite relationship.  The closest relationship match on FTDNA is 0 steps, whereas on ancestry it is the other way round. On Ancestry.com we had as low as 7cm and still be a firm match. I have good  trees up on both Family Tree DNA and Acestry.com. The surnames are especially needed when you or your match sees unfamiliar surnames. We have many in the form of spouses names that can come up and the name indexes created by your trees  will assist in matching these unfamiliar names to yours, or their tres when making a search in the matches trees.

My second son then had a My Heritage, a Big Y (that gives you the 12,25, 37, 67 and the Big Y, but expensive and doesn’t define the Y111 DNA marker any further. The Big Y is for the experts, which most of us are not, many are I am sure and may understand it.

I had my oldest sons Y67 and updated to Y111 as well  and joined them  up to Arthur Project, Scottish Project, Vikings, Australian Settlers, Australian Citizens, Scandanavian and Germanic Projects. Apart form the Arthur project, they only match each other at 0 steps. While FamilytreeDNA are the largest of the companies that do YDNA, they are still very small databases and we need other men t o do the All male YDNA with familytreedna. At least it is a lot clearer if you have one of those oops or for whatever other reason the name is not what you expected, then is is more evident on familytredna than ancestry.com.  You need both to compliment each other.  Maybe you could do an ancestryocm test too Bob and you will maybe get a Large CM count you were not expecting like me. Then go bck to your match on Familytreedna as they may be on there but meant nothing to you when you first saw them. Upgrade to Y111 and the surnames will be reduced and you get a better picture.

Best Wishes

Edie McArthur

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--