Duich Lotts

Glynn Currie

Both my paternal grandparents were born on Islay. I have been told about the Island ever since I was very young. Grampa was John Currie, born in 1879 at Duich Lotts. His father was Donald Currie and his mother was Catherine McFadyen.
I would like to locate the farm where he was born and learn a bit about it. On an old map of Islay that I found on the internet I can see two places named Duich. One is located close to Bowmore, a little north and east. The other is located south and east of Bowmore, near the present day airport.
Would anyone know anything about these two locations which would allow me to learn which place was my grandfather's home?

Sent from my Galaxy

John Kemplen

Hello Glynn

The place east of Bowmore is, a believe, usually known as Dluich.  I have never seen anywhere else beginning with "Dl" and I have no idea how to say it, but there it is.

The place your people came from is south of Bowmore.  Duich is on the A846 ("the Low Road") where it crosses the Duich River, and Duich Lots (or Lotts) is about a mile east of there, just over half way to the B8016 ("the High Road") and a little way north of Loch Dhomhnull.  It is still named on good maps, but nobody lives there any more.  You can see some rather sad pictures of some of the abandoned cottages there if you follow this link:
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6649

There are a few other places called Lotts or Lots in that area - Glenegedale Lots, Glenegedalemoor Lots, Glenmachrie Lots - all on very peaty land between Bowmore and Port Ellen.  I do not know what the term means, but it seems to relate to outlying land associated with the place with the name without "Lotts" after it, often rather poor land at that.

I have found that the best website for finding very detailed modern maps of Scotland is Canmore.  Start here:
https://canmore.org.uk/site/search/result?SITECOUNTRY=0&view=map
and zoom in on Islay.  Because it is really meant for finding sites of historical interest the detail can be obscured by blue blobs marking the sites.  To get rid of them, just go to the menu inset into the top right corner of the map, click on "Canmore" and then on the "Search Results" box.

I hope this helps.  If you still have difficulty finding the location or have other Islay-related questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

John

On 19/12/2020 20:58, Glynn Currie wrote:

Both my paternal grandparents were born on Islay. I have been told about the Island ever since I was very young. Grampa was John Currie, born in 1879 at Duich Lotts. His father was Donald Currie and his mother was Catherine McFadyen.
I would like to locate the farm where he was born and learn a bit about it. On an old map of Islay that I found on the internet I can see two places named Duich. One is located close to Bowmore, a little north and east. The other is located south and east of Bowmore, near the present day airport.
Would anyone know anything about these two locations which would allow me to learn which place was my grandfather's home?

Sent from my Galaxy

M. Diane Rogers

Duich lots, Islay - description from 'Scottis Places' here:
https://www.scottish-places.info/towns/townfirst14706.html

Diane
M Diane Rogers

Both my paternal grandparents were born on Islay.
I have been told about the Island ever since I was very young.
Grampa was John Currie, born in 1879...Snipped

Glynn Currie

Thanks John.That is wonderful information very detailed and useful. I appreciate your help tremendously.
Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy

[...]

Thanks Diane. I appreciate your help.
Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy

Duich lots, Islay - description from 'Scottis Places' here:
https://www.scottish-places.info/towns/townfirst14706.html

Diane
M Diane Rogers

Both my paternal grandparents were born on Islay.
        I have been told about the Island ever since I was very young.
        Grampa was John Currie, born in 1879...Snipped

Glynn Currie

A question that has just occured to me after reading John's reply: Would Duich Lotts be a name that applied to a group of several farms developed near one another, or would it be a single farm worked by one family? Would it be termed a croft?
Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy

[...]

Diane,
I have started looking through the pages on the Scottish Places link you provided. It is going to take some time to see it properly, but I am genuinely looking forward to a better look. It has me quite excited.
Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy

Duich lots, Islay - description from 'Scottis Places' here:
https://www.scottish-places.info/towns/townfirst14706.html

Diane
M Diane Rogers

Both my paternal grandparents were born on Islay.
        I have been told about the Island ever since I was very young.
        Grampa was John Currie, born in 1879...Snipped

Josephine Conray

Hi Glynn

I think Duich Lotts might be the name of the farm as all the census has the same address Duich Lots

Did the John below end up in Saskatchewan Canada.

This is below  1891 Census for Scotland.  John Father Donald  is a  Crofter and living at the same address with his parents Archibald & Marron 1851 the address is called Duich Muir, but from 1861 Duich Lots ,Ploughman, 1871 Duich Lots Farmer son, 1881 same address Farm servant  and 1901 same address  Crofter.

Name:

John Currie

Age:

11

Estimated Birth Year:

abt 1880

Relationship:

Son

Father's Name:

Donald Currie

Mother's Name:

Catherine Currie

Gender:

Male

Where born:

Kildalton, Argyll

Registration Number:

541

Registration District:

Kildalton and Oa

Civil Parish:

Kildalton and Oa

County:

Argyll

Address:

Duich Lots

Occupation:

Scholar

ED:

1

Household Schedule Number:

14

Line:

5

Roll:

CSSCT1891_172

Both my paternal grandparents were born on Islay. I have been told about the Island ever since I was very young. Grampa was John Currie, born in 1879 at Duich Lotts. His father was Donald Currie and his mother was Catherine McFadyen.

I would like to locate the farm where he was born and learn a bit about it. On an old map of Islay that I found on the internet I can see two places named Duich. One is located close to Bowmore, a little north and east. The other is located south and east of Bowmore, near the present day airport.

Would anyone know anything about these two locations which would allow me to learn which place was my grandfather's home?

Sent from my Galaxy

Edie Mc

There is also a house sale at Duich, Lotts. Islay, Scotland It is situated on an un named road with 15 houses on it.  Could be where your ancestor lived in one of  the fifteen houses.

Edie

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/duich/lotts/isle-of-islay/pa42-7dd/17937583

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
EdieMc

Glynn Currie

Thanks Edie. That is interesting. Might have to break open the old piggy bank to rebuy the old farm!🤔

Sent from my Galaxy

A question that has just occured to me after reading John's reply: Would Duich Lotts be a name that applied to a group of several farms developed near one another, or would it be a single farm worked by one family? Would it be termed a croft?

Glynn

--
EdieMc

Edie Mc

Hi Glynn,

It doesn’t sound like a farm yo me, more the name of a Town.  See this genealogy pedigree chart.

https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/r/o/w/Caroline-E-Rowe/GENE1-0006.html

Edie

[...]

Thanks Josephine.

Yes this is my grandfather,John, and great grandfather, Donald. John did move to Saskatchewan in 1902 and took up a homestead. Later he became a grain buyer in three different communities. He married Flora McDiarmid in Saskatchewan in 1910. Flora was born on Shore Street In Bowmore in 1883, the daughter of Archibald McDiarmid and Agnes MacDonald.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Glynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Both my paternal grandparents were born on Islay. I have been told about the Island ever since I was very young. Grampa was John Currie, born in 1879 at Duich Lotts. His father was Donald Currie and his mother was Catherine McFadyen.

I would like to locate the farm where he was born and learn a bit about it. On an old map of Islay that I found on the internet I can see two places named Duich. One is located close to Bowmore, a little north and east. The other is located south and east of Bowmore, near the present day airport.

Would anyone know anything about these two locations which would allow me to learn which place was my grandfather's home?

Sent from my Galaxy

Glynn Currie

Hi Edie,
Yes I believe it was a farm. Probably unlike any type of farm we know in Canada. It would have been a few acres, probably tilled by hand. My question is would it have been small farmer owned, or a larger land assemblage on which many farmer-operators would have worked for a portion of the crop while one land owner would have taken a portion of several farmers crops as a rent payment. In the latter case there could have been more than one house located close to one another.
The family tree which you have posted is certainly my family.
Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy

[...]

The link that Diane gave you is a good one which accurately describes Duich Lots as a group of agricultural holdings.  In English terminology it might be described as a hamlet, but it would not qualify as a village and certainly not as a town.  The agricultural holdings would not have been large enough to warrant the name "farm".  I think a collection of crofts might be the nearest thing to an accurate description.

The Zoopla reference is from a highly automated modern property database, and I am afraid that in this case it may be rather misleading in including the word "Duich".  The location marked on the Zoopla map is NOT Duich or Duich Lots.  It is in an area that Islay folk may call just "the Lotts".  I believe the unnamed road that it refers to is probably the road from Glenegedale on the A846 up to the B8016 between Glenegedale Lots and Glenegedalemoor Lots.  That road does indeed have several occupied houses on it, but the area is very unlikely to have ever been thought of as Duich or Duich Lots.  No buildings on Duich Lots are inhabited and they are all in a ruined state; they would not feature in a modern property database.

Regards

John

On 20/12/2020 06:43, Glynn Currie wrote:
Thanks Edie. That is interesting. Might have to break open the old piggy bank to rebuy the old farm!🤔

Sent from my Galaxy

A question that has just occured to me after reading John's reply: Would Duich Lotts be a name that applied to a group of several farms developed near one another, or would it be a single farm worked by one family? Would it be termed a croft?

Glynn

--
EdieMc

Glynn Currie

Thanks once again John.
Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy

From: John Kemplen <john.kemplen@...>
Date: 2020-12-20 07:47 (GMT-08:00)
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io, Glynn Currie <glynn.currie@...>

[...]

The lotts sound a little like the Allottments that some English homes have at the back, as a lot of English gardens are small especially in the tenement type homes joined together.  We rented a home in Uxbridge, along Oxford Road, in 1996 on a working holiday from Austalia and at the back was this allotment and there were several joined to other neighbours. Vegetables were grown there mostly.

Edie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

A question that has just occured to me after reading John's reply: Would Duich Lotts be a name that applied to a group of several farms developed near one another, or would it be a single farm worked by one family? Would it be termed a croft?

Glynn

--
EdieMc

EdieMc

Morag Fowler

Hi Edie,

Allotments in the UK tend to be at the edge of a town, all grouped together. I think what you described behind houses would be just back gardens being put to good use.

Did you know that there is a specific Islay group? Islay@Scotland-Genealogy. groups.io

Best wishes, Morag

Edie Mc

No they were called allottments and they were behind the back fence.  Allottments are very common in the UK. They rent the space.

Edie

I was born in England but we didn’t have an allotment.