Topics

Daniel and Jennette McArthur of Islay

Robert McArthur

I’d like to hear from anyone with knowledge about my great-great-great grandparents Daniel and Jennette McArthur, who emigrated from Scotland to North Carolina in America in the 1770s. They claimed to have come from Islay. Although there is abundant information about their descendants, I know nothing of their background, and to date I have not identified any of their Scottish ancestry. A few years ago Roger McWee told me he had found some data on Daniel, but no information linking him to any farm or town. I frequently receive Family Tree notifications of y-dna matches, including some strong Nordic, Isle of Mull, and Scottish mainland matches, but so far nothing with a definite link to Islay, and nothing identifying a common direct ancestor. I have seen trees indicating that Daniel’s parents were named John McArthur and Jean Hair, but no supporting evidence of that. Family Finder has been useful in helping me find some relatives, mainly distant cousins here in America. I have uploaded my dna information to Gedmatch (kit T894735) and am in process of deciphering the match information in that database (looks like a long learning curve).

Seymour Hosking

Hi there
I show a 5.1cM link to you, and all my Mother's family come from Islay so chances are that is where the match comes from.  I've got McArthur ancestors, but Islay records are thin on the ground before 1800 which means it's hard to get back to show a connection.
(Are you Robert, by the way?)
regards Seymour

Robert McArthur

Yes, I am Robert Hall McArthur. Glad to see supporting evidence of the Islay connection. Incidentally, Jennette’s maiden name was also McArthur.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Edie Mc

H Robert and other McArthurMacArthurs ..  My former husband also Robert or user name RobMcA on ancestry.com who like two of our sons Malcolm and Glenn have been DNA tested with Familytreedna at the Y67, Y111 and Big Y700 level.  They havent a McArthur match as yet but five branches of the McArthur lineage, so it would seem. several MacDonalds, MacNeil, Mackay, Carmichael, Campbell and Monro/Munro, between nine member still standing at the Y111 level. There were several other names at the Y67 level.
abut 45 anmes except for nine were flushed out as false positives. The father Rob and sons are 0 step level which on familytreedna is the closest level, but our closest outside of immediate family is 8 steps.  This is with a William MacDonald born c1766 at Farr, Sutherland and all others are for the Caithness areas and one the Isle of Lismore which is a Carmichael. I note this William on ancestry.com in the public trees but don't know if they have done the ancestry DNA. Have you tested with any of the companies Robert?

I am trying to understand this.  We have joined both the Arthur project on familytreedna and are at the top matching a MacDonald no match with any of the other McArthur.  on the Scottish project no matches there with McArthur, so one of the men left although we really need to have a much closer match to have any real idea of which of the surnames or Clansmen have used the McArthur name and when and why.

We will no doubt get more matches if more men would only do YDNA  direct male line tests and an autosomal test. Since we have matches of other names it is clear one of those have either stolen, inherited, or has been adopted by  the McArthur's.  My eldest son Glenn Y67 marker, says the McArthurs were without a Clan Chief for over two hundred years.  Do you know the history and I believe the King may have murdered the McArthur Chief or something like that.  We would like to get our head around when this name change took place.  It isn't a matter of waiting until our McArthur does a DNA test as we do have matches and none are McArthur. We know too it is common among the Highlanders they had a different naming system. Frustrating.

 What do you know about the hsitory when the fueds were going on or the clearances when land was taken from the McAthurs etc. I have a date-line of the Clearances. The double sided sheet was inside a manilla folder at our public libraryin Tasmania and I printed it out, it i very interesting.

Our John McArthur born c1828 was living down in Cathcart Renfrewshire in 1856, just prior to his marriage.  Our DNA locations are Halkirk, Reay in Caithness, Isle of Lismore and Farr in Sutherland.  Most are in the Caithness area. I thought someone had said that wasnt really a MacDonald stronghold. I have seen a Duncan McArthur in the Bredalbane 1767 )too early for ours I think,) Ordnance survey and Johns father was a Duncan McArthur and mother Margaret Smith.  neither the McArthur or the Smiths are coming through in ancestry at the moment or ftdna for McArthur. I did see something, I dismissed at the time, in something I read over here  where in relation to John McArthur.  The article said John McArthur of Breadalbane.  As we had one over here and I knew ours did not live in Breadalbane over here, I started wondering if he was born in Breadalbane, North Perthshire, Scotland.  I need to start in Renfrewshire and work back somehow.

regards
Edie McArthur for Robbie, Glenn and Malcolm McArthur and Sue who also has a ancestry dna test. 5 out of six including me have been tested. Tehe other son isnt sure and really it isnt needed unless with another company.

--
EdieMc

Robert McArthur

Hello Edie. Yes, I’ve tested at the Y67 level on Family Tree, kit 161122. I matched with one person on all 67 markers, but he was unaware of an Islay connection and we have no idea who our common ancestor is, though it’s probably just a generation or two before Daniel. I’m guessing that Daniel and Jennette emigrated to America as displaced renters, but I don’t have proof and am unable to find them on any ship registry. In fact I have no information at all about them pre-emigration.

Bob McArthur

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Yes, I am Robert Hall McArthur. Glad to see supporting evidence of the Islay connection. Incidentally, Jennette’s maiden name was also McArthur.

--
EdieMc

Edie Mc

That sounds like some sort of cousin match, doesn't it  Bob. All 67 markers is a close family member. I wonder if you were to do the Y111 marker if it will help you out. It did us.  My brothers DNA as well.  We started with the Y67,  a lot of different names to three with the Y111. Sounds like he would be a 0 step which is a perfect match. that is how I understand it.  An autosomal may yield some other s belonging to the Daniela add Jeanette line. that helped us as well as I was able to find a third cousin match and we matched my second great grandparents.  That wasn't evident with just the All male line YDNA. You may already have tested with ancestry as well though.  Did Scotlands People give you any clues as to when they were married or have any children which could give you a clue on a time frame. Family search can be handy these days as well.

Hope you find the information you need.
regards
Edie Mc

Hello Edie. Yes, I’ve tested at the Y67 level on Family Tree, kit 161122. I matched with one person on all 67 markers, but he was unaware of an Islay connection and we have no idea who our common ancestor is, though it’s probably just a  generation or two before Daniel. I’m guessing that Daniel and Jennette emigrated to America as displaced renters, but I don’t have proof and am unable to find them on any ship registry. In fact I have no information at all about them pre-emigration.

Bob McArthur

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Yes, I am Robert Hall McArthur. Glad to see supporting evidence of the Islay connection. Incidentally, Jennette’s maiden name was also McArthur.

--
EdieMc

--
EdieMc

Josephine Conray

Hi

Not sure if this is your family. I think that Daniel and Janette (do you know her last name)  went to USA before the 1770’s as there is a 12 Aug 1870 Census with Daniel McArthur age 65 B 1805 Scotland farmer White and Janette. They are living with Alexander McArthur and his wife Mary

And Kate McPherson and her son Robert domestic servant.

Qld Aust

[...]

I haven’t yet upgraded from Y67, but will likely do so soon. I’ve posted a rudimentary family tree on FT family finder, identifying all my direct ancestors I could identify. Daniel McArthur (1741-1819) and Jennette McArthur (1752-1852) were married in the early 1770s, and emigrated to North Carolina in 1774 where all their children were born. Both Daniel and Jennette are buried in North Carolina.

[...]

My second son is on family finder as well as the Big Y.  will take a look at your family finder sometime soon.  Going to a big DNA Copnference today being run by our local Rotary club. It is a virtual one,  live by Video Link.
regards
Edie Mc

[...]

Hi Josephine,

Thanks for the interesting census record, but can’t be my g-g-g-grandparents. Daniel was born in 1741 and Jennette in 1752. They were married and came to America in about 1774, and all of their children were born in North Carolina. Jennette’s maiden name was also McArthur. One of my distant cousins still owns part of their original land patent in North Carolina, not far from Wilmington.

Bob McArthur