Topics

Charles Campbell 1787?

extonview@...

I seem to have hit a wall when it comes to ancestors in Islay.  My grandfather was Alexander Campbell b.1872, illegitimate.  His mother was Janet Campbell and his father was down as Alexander McDonald.  Janets father was William Campbell b 1824, from Kilmeny on Islay.  His father appears to be Charles Campbell and his mother Christina Campbell (Campbell), both late 1700's.  I can find no info on either of them so if anyone has come across them or any suggestions etc.  would really appreciate it.

Edie Mc

Hi,
I cannot really help you but wonder if he may have been the William Campbell who fathered an illegitmate daughter born at Cambuslang in 1850.  Her mother was  Isabella Stevenson, who was born at Cambuslang, Lanarkshire.  the daughter was Christina Stevenson Campbell. I have no idea where William Campbell was born. The name Christina may have come from Isabellas mother Christina though.

Isabella left Lanrakshire and worked in Renfrewshire till she came to Tasmania wihtout her daughter who lived to the age of 28 after giving birth to four children.  She married Robert  Black of Campsie, Stirlingshire. We only found out about her two years ago when someone  was curius who she was and did a bit of sleuthing.

Edie Mc

------ Original Message ------
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, 11 Feb, 2020 At 5:09 AM
Subject: [ScotGen] Charles Campbell 1787?

I seem to have hit a wall when it comes to ancestors in Islay.  My grandfather was Alexander Campbell b.1872, illegitimate.  His mother was Janet Campbell and his father was down as Alexander McDonald.  Janets father was William Campbell b 1824, from Kilmeny on Islay.  His father appears to be Charles Campbell and his mother Christina Campbell (Campbell), both late 1700's.  I can find no info on either of them so if anyone has come across them or any suggestions etc.  would really appreciate it.    

--
EdieMc