Cathcart, Renfrewshire, Scotland, possibly Crossmyloof. - Would like to know names of Farms in this area 1856 and before.

Anne Burgess

As you obviously have the marriage certificate, what were the names of John McArthur's parents and how old was he?

Anne Burgess

I'm sorry, I have no idea why my replies each seem to start a new thread.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=552724.0

I deduce that the Society was founded in Tasmania and therefore that its surviving records are in Tasmania. I can certainlt find no reference to it in the various catalogues of Scottish archives.

That being the case, I have no doubt that you have pursued all the Tasmanian sources, and I have every doubt that there will be any additional material in Scotland.

Anne

Edie Mc

Again, thanks for trying Anne.  Yes my son Malcolm and myself were in our Archives in Hobart on Thursday.  We were trying new ways but couldn’t find anything new.  We also have the book about the Immigrants on all the ships used to bring Bounty Immigrants out to Tasmania. It is a very informative book.  Tells everything that was required of the Bounty Immigrant.  Just need the records that matches the information given.  John McArthur’s Baptism would be very useful, but where was he baptised.  I know I need to start in Cathcart, Renfrew, where he was last residing, before he was married in Cambuslang by banns, to Isabella Stevenson, who was born in Cambuslang.

We have the Banns from the National Library of Scotland.  My son obtained those, they were not in Scotland’s People. Could be some banns in Renfrew as well. I will find a researcher in the area.  I am still interested in the Smith family who are in the old Cathcart Churchyard. Margaret Smith died in 1856 aged 55, her father  died 1855 and is buried there also her mother Margaret Muir was baptised in Cathcart and she die din 1835.  Margaret appears to be a spinster.  She appeared to have a brother James who was a Police Superintendent.  I found a census last year it was taken at the Police Station and had several McArthur’s who were Policeman and also mention prisoners on the night of the census. I cant help wondering if they were to do with our John McArthur.  Tere was a Duncan McArthur amongst them as well. I thought they could have been relatives of some kind. John hasn’t left clues of any kind at the moment.

Johns father was Duncan McArthur and his mother Margaret McArthur nee Smith according to John and Isabella’s Wedding  Certificate.

Edie

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Sunday, 23 January 2022 20:35
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Cathcart, Renfrewshire, Scotland, possibly Crossmyloof. - Would like to know names of Farms in this area 1856 and before.

I'm sorry, I have no idea why my replies each seem to start a new thread.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=552724.0

I deduce that the Society was founded in Tasmania and therefore that its surviving records are in Tasmania. I can certainlt find no reference to it in the various catalogues of Scottish archives.

That being the case, I have no doubt that you have pursued all the Tasmanian sources, and I have every doubt that there will be any additional material in Scotland.

Anne

--
EdieMc

Edie Mc

HI Anne,

Yes the names of parents for John McArthur were Duncan McArthur, Farm Servant, deceased and Margaret McArthur maiden name Smith.  It didn’t say  deceased for Margaret.  Now since John has been evasive all along, I wonder if his parents were married. John marriage took place 2 December 1856 he was aged 28 so I have given him 1827 to 1829. His wife was born in 1830 ut at Cambuslang.  She by the way had a illegitimate child in 1850 at Cambuslang, whom she left behind. The father was William Campbell, Farmer I presume of Cambuslang. I havent seen  baptism for her yet and do not know the circumstances of why she was left behind. Whether there was a irregular marriage between William and Isabella, Johns wife or not. And the marriage itself never went ahead or whether it was a non-consensual birth of a child. So Isabella’s mother took the child it had Williams surname of Campbell and the child Christina Stevenson Campbell has named two children after mother and grandmother, so no hard feeling.  She died aged 28. Sad, as Isabellas mother Christina Stevenson died a Pauper.  So maybe the poor law may help but I haven’t seen any familiar names in the indexes.

There is also a convict named Duncan McArthur who came to Tasmania, c1830.  We have the details but not what  became of him after he was released  There doesn’t appear to be a marriage for him or death in Tasmania. We still need to do something with the Joint copying project they have over here on the mainland.  Haven’t got that far.  It could have more on that Duncan.  I think he was born in Dunbarton off hand. I don’t like jumping over a generation, but it will be done. Was rather hoping Duncans records may have led us somewhere. Like bastardy records if no marriage for him and Margaret.

Not sure which country you actually live, but we have two main websites we use  here in Tasmania, for Tasmania.  All Australia has access to Trove.  It covers mostly all main newspapers in Australia. The National Library of Australia publish it.  There us a knack to using it.  It has changed from wht it used to be.  I liked the old way.  Then for Tasmania, we have Libraries Tasmania.  It is the Tasmanian Archives.  We used the Names Index, when searching for certificates  etc but it has many features.  Again you have to navigate your way around the site. They are our main two websites we use din Tasmania.  If you cant find  a certificate on Libraries Tasmania., you will most likely find one on familysearch.org.  They have a lot of Tasmanian records on as well as Ancestry.com, of course.

To date other than his death which states only Scotland as place of Birth, apart from newspaper articles, there is nothing to help us.  The ret of his family no problem.  I have over 327 pages of data to date and I think that will stretch to 350 befoe I finish.  I start with John then each one of his nine children.  Three of those had children so then it is their children in order.  I like photos so it isn’t just  matter of names and dates, that is why it is so large. It is  thick binder but in book form.  The icing on the cake would be John McArthur.  Keeping in mind the family’s DNA seems to favour places like Caithness and surrounds, there  is a Lismore, then we have the Morrison which is the closest and he isn’t talking.

Edie

Sent: Sunday, 23 January 2022 20:15
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Cathcart, Renfrewshire, Scotland, possibly Crossmyloof. - Would like to know names of Farms in this area 1856 and before.

As you obviously have the marriage certificate, what were the names of John McArthur's parents and how old was he?

--
EdieMc

Josephine Conray

Hi Edie

I have search Ancestry there are 69 family tree for your family, but non with any info about farms in Scotland only the one in Tasmania own by the Campbell family where John work.

There was one family tree called McArthur & Stevenson Family tree owner Eamca, who is researching the same family

What I thought might help she said she & her family members have taken DNA test with FTDNA, My Heritage, Ancestry.com   YDNA and Autosomal  Test  you might be able to find some info through DNA or contact Eamca.

Hope this helps

Josephine

Qld Aust.

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Edie Mc
Sent: Tuesday, 18 January 2022 7:35 PM
Subject: [ScotGen] Cathcart, Renfrewshire, Scotland, possibly Crossmyloof. - Would like to know names of Farms in this area 1856 and before.

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea the names of Farms and large Estates a Farm Servant would worked at prior to 2 December 1856.  This was the date our John McArthur ws working at prior to his marriage to Isabella Stevenson.  Isabella was living in Cathcart around that time as well and may have been working at the same place.  As mentioned in a previous email to the list by me.  There had been a fellow Passenger on the same ship as John McArthur and his new wife Isabella Stevenson.  That fellows named was John Cunningham.  In the 1851 census, off the top of my head, John Cunningham had been living at Crossmyloof, Cathcart, Renfrewshire and since our John was also living at Cathcart, Renfrew, would like to investigate the farms and Estates in that area. Like was suggested for another lister, it may be possible to write to one of the estates to see if any records of servants with a little detail. We have a death for him in Tasmania and his marriage certificate in Cambuslang, the ships manifest, life in Tasmania and children etc, that apart from newspaper articles. Nothing else whatever for Scotland.  We are looking for his baptism.  Apparently his baptism certificate was required to gain a Bounty Ticket. According to author,  St Andrew Immigration Society, written by Gregory Wighton.

Someone may have knowledge of that area.

Thanks for any help.

Edie McArthur

--
EdieMc

Edie Mc

HI Josephine,

That is my tree I have up for my former husband.  I look after his tree and DNA along with our granddaughter daughter, and familyfinder and familytree DNA.

John worked at Donald Camerons at Fordan, at the Nile, near Evandale. I feel there must be records as it was a large Estate, but several have tried but the  current owner who is still the same family isn’t interested. Shame really.  All we want is some information should he have it for places of birth in Scotland, that may have been given at time of employment.

Thanks for trying, I hadn’t noted 69 people having the same tree. It isn’t a large family.  Only three out of nine children had any children of their own.  The largest family was the first born Isabella who married a widower and they had a few children They were the Walker family of the Franklin, Huon, Tasmania area. Our line William McArthur had seven children from two marriages, four daughters from the first his wife died in her 20 leaving the four girls, but only one of them had four children.  He then had two sons and one daughter from the second wife, the daughter had one daughter and the sons three sons each. I have three trees up.  One is my own, my I keep for my daughter and one is the tree you mention.

Thanks Josephine

Edie

Sent: Wednesday, 26 January 2022 12:38

Hi Edie

I have search Ancestry there are 69 family tree for your family, but non with any info about farms in Scotland only the one in Tasmania own by the Campbell family where John work.

There was one family tree called McArthur & Stevenson Family tree owner Eamca, who is researching the same family

What I thought might help she said she & her family members have taken DNA test with FTDNA, My Heritage, Ancestry.com   YDNA and Autosomal  Test  you might be able to find some info through DNA or contact Eamca.

Hope this helps

Josephine

Qld Aust.

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Edie Mc
Sent: Tuesday, 18 January 2022 7:35 PM
Subject: [ScotGen] Cathcart, Renfrewshire, Scotland, possibly Crossmyloof. - Would like to know names of Farms in this area 1856 and before.

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea the names of Farms and large Estates a Farm Servant would worked at prior to 2 December 1856. 

--
EdieMc