Topics

Burial in Glasgow 1840 - where?

Rosemary

I am trying to work out exactly where someone was buried in Glasgow in 1840.

I have the image from ScotlandsPeople [1]

Interments from the Royal Infirmary during May 1840
Date of registration of death: April 14 [probably May - too many dittos]
Date of burial: 15
Murdoch MCKINLAY, porter
Residence: Stertwill.. [? Stockwell Street]
Undertakers: Simpson
Where buried -
- in the lair of Common Ground
- churchyard: St. Mary
Disease: fever
Aged 45

Lair = (Scots): A burial space reserved in a graveyard.

There were 25 people on this page buried in common ground at St. Mary's

So, was he buried in common ground in the churchyard of St. Mary's?
And if so, which church is it?

From what I've managed to find so far there is a St. Mary's church but it's Roman Catholic, not Church of Scotland and it wasn't opened until 1842.

But I have just found on FindMyPast a record of his burial at Glasgow High Church, Glasgow [2]

Is Glasgow High Church, Glasgow Cathedral? There was a large burial ground there which opened in 1833. [3]

Thank you reading this far,

Rosemary
Northumberland, UK

[1] Old Parish Registers Deaths 644/1 550 236 Glasgow, page 236
[2] https://www.findmypast.com/transcript?id=GBPRS%2FGLASGOW%2FBUR%2F172764
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Necropolis

Fiona Turnbull

Hi Rosemary
I used to work at Glasgow Royal Infirmary and if I were going to make an educated guess I would say it's the Glasgow Necropolis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Necropolis GRI is next door to the Catherdral and the necropolis is across the highway (used to be a burn) from both.
The Glasgow Necropolis is a Victorian cemetery in Glasgow, Scotland.It is on a low but very prominent hill to the east of Glasgow Cathedral (St. Mungo's Cathedral). Fifty thousand individuals have been buried here. Typically for the period only a small percentage are named on monuments and not every grave has a stone.
en.wikipedia.org
If it was St Mary's then that is now known as the Abercromby Street burial ground which probably still has my muddy footprints in it.  It is quite possible that fever victims were buried there because it was available and then moved to the Necropolis.
Hope this helps
Fiona Turnbull

I am trying to work out exactly where someone was buried in Glasgow in 1840.

I have the image from ScotlandsPeople [1]

  Interments from the Royal Infirmary during May 1840
  Date of registration of death: April 14 [probably May - too many dittos]
  Date of burial: 15
  Murdoch MCKINLAY, porter
  Residence: Stertwill.. [? Stockwell Street]
  Undertakers: Simpson
  Where buried -
  - in the lair of Common Ground
  - churchyard: St. Mary
  Disease: fever
  Aged 45

Lair = (Scots): A burial space reserved in a graveyard.

There were 25 people on this page buried in common ground at St. Mary's

So, was he buried in common ground in the churchyard of St. Mary's?
And if so, which church is it?

 From what I've managed to find so far there is a St. Mary's church but
it's Roman Catholic, not Church of Scotland and it wasn't opened until 1842.

But I have just found on FindMyPast a record of his burial at Glasgow
High Church, Glasgow [2]

Is Glasgow High Church, Glasgow Cathedral? There was a large burial
ground there which opened in 1833. [3]

Thank you reading this far,

Rosemary
Northumberland, UK

[1] Old Parish Registers Deaths 644/1 550 236 Glasgow, page 236
[2] https://www.findmypast.com/transcript?id=GBPRS%2FGLASGOW%2FBUR%2F172764
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Necropolis

rjpaton

Glasgow Cathedral is the High Kirk or High Church (pedantically it hasn't been a Cathedral for centuries) - There used to be a burial ground associated with the Cathedral North of the building but that was built over during the Victorian era and is now under the Victorian end of the Royal Infirmary. As suggested by Fiona the Necropolis is another option as it opened for business in 1833.

rjpaton

Glasgow Cathedral is the High Kirk or High Church (technically it hasn't been a cathedral for several centuries)

On 06/02/2020 10:33, Rosemary wrote:
I am trying to work out exactly where someone was buried in Glasgow in 1840.
I have the image from ScotlandsPeople [1]
 Interments from the Royal Infirmary during May 1840
 Date of registration of death: April 14 [probably May - too many dittos]
 Date of burial: 15
 Murdoch MCKINLAY, porter
 Residence: Stertwill.. [? Stockwell Street]
 Undertakers: Simpson
 Where buried -
 - in the lair of Common Ground
 - churchyard: St. Mary
 Disease: fever
 Aged 45
Lair = (Scots): A burial space reserved in a graveyard.
There were 25 people on this page buried in common ground at St. Mary's
So, was he buried in common ground in the churchyard of St. Mary's?
And if so, which church is it?
From what I've managed to find so far there is a St. Mary's church but it's Roman Catholic, not Church of Scotland and it wasn't opened until 1842.
But I have just found on FindMyPast a record of his burial at Glasgow High Church, Glasgow [2]
Is Glasgow High Church, Glasgow Cathedral? There was a large burial ground there which opened in 1833. [3]
Thank you reading this far,
Rosemary
Northumberland, UK
[1] Old Parish Registers Deaths 644/1 550 236 Glasgow, page 236
[2] https://www.findmypast.com/transcript?id=GBPRS%2FGLASGOW%2FBUR%2F172764
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Necropolis

Rosemary

Thank you Fiona and 'rjpaton' for your replies.

I'm inclined to think he was buried at Glasgow Necropolis although the burial register is not at all clear. I still don't understand why two different records give his burial in apparently different places - 'St. Mary's' and Glasgow High Church. And he won't have had a memorial stone to mark his parting.

Rosemary
Northumberland, UK

On 06/02/2020 10:33, Rosemary wrote:
I am trying to work out exactly where someone was buried in Glasgow in 1840.
I have the image from ScotlandsPeople [1]
 Interments from the Royal Infirmary during May 1840
 Date of registration of death: April 14 [probably May - too many dittos]
 Date of burial: 15
 Murdoch MCKINLAY, porter
 Residence: Stertwill.. [? Stockwell Street]
 Undertakers: Simpson
 Where buried -
 - in the lair of Common Ground
 - churchyard: St. Mary
 Disease: fever
 Aged 45
Lair = (Scots): A burial space reserved in a graveyard.
There were 25 people on this page buried in common ground at St. Mary's
So, was he buried in common ground in the churchyard of St. Mary's?
And if so, which church is it?
From what I've managed to find so far there is a St. Mary's church but it's Roman Catholic, not Church of Scotland and it wasn't opened until 1842.