Topics

Buchanan

que534@...

I have been told that our McAmmond (McCamond) ancestors in Ireland and then Canada may have been originally Buchanon in Scotland.  Has anyone ever come across this?
Dorothy Quebec
dquebec@...

Sent from my Galaxy

jwmmackay@...

My second great grandfather John McKay of Welland (who had immigrated to Canada from Scotland) married a Mary Buchanan of Dunnville in 1873. I have not been able to find much about her family, so if there is any chance she is of your Buchanans please let me know. It’s been years since my research, but my notes say that these Buchanans were Irish, but Methodist, which at the time led me to believe they were probably from Northern Ireland.

Morag Fowler

There were Methodists in both north and south Ireland.
Morag

On 5 Dec 2020, at 16:33, jwmmackay@... wrote:

My second great grandfather John McKay of Welland (who had immigrated to Canada from Scotland) married a Mary Buchanan of Dunnville in 1873. I have not been able to find much about her family, so if there is any chance she is of your Buchanans please let me know. It’s been years since my research, but my notes say that these Buchanans were Irish, but Methodist, which at the time led me to believe they were probably from Northern Ireland.

mackay

The Dunnville District Heritage Association might be able to help you with the Buchanan family.

https://www.dunnvilleheritage.org/