Four webinars about Scottish research

Glynn Currie

Thanks Valorie. Great information.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Valorie Zimmerman
Sent: December 4, 2020 9:26 PM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: [ScotGen] Four webinars about Scottish research

FamilySearch hosted four webinars about Scottish research a few days back. The recordings are now available on their Facebook page:

Using the Wiki and ScotlandsPeople for Scottish Research

Och Aye! Understanding Weird Scottish Words and Phrases

Scotland Land and Property Records

Scotland Probate Records

Anne Burgess

As a Scot, I find it patronising and faintly offensive that language I and my friends use regularly is described as 'weird'.

Apart from the expression 'och aye' which is only ever used to mock those who think that we go around saying 'och aye' all the time.

Anne

Wayne Shepheard

Well said, Anne. I think my wife's entire family, and a few of my own ancestors, would be insulted. Surely people who study or wish to comment on dialects or regional language variations (not just limited to Scottish backgrounds) could state their ideas with more clarity and sensitivity.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 2:57 AM Anne Burgess via groups.io <anne.genlists=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
As a Scot, I find it patronising and faintly offensive that language I and my friends use regularly is described as 'weird'.

Apart from the expression 'och aye' which is only ever used to mock those who think that we go around saying 'och aye' all the time.

Anne

Doreen Hale

I agree!   Interesting comments as I noticed at the beginning when the map was shown,  he said Gaelic was on the West side [and the map was circled on the West], Northumbrian was on the South-East [and the map was circled on the South-East] next was shown the Cumbric/Cumbrian said to be mostly on the South-West [and the map was circled on the South-East].

At this point he totally lost me and I switched it off, pondering his own accent and nationality and wondering how many more errors there may be should I continue to listen.

He had started off by saying he "was going to slaughter the Gaelic expressions” which half lost me to begin with!

Rose

On 5/12/2020, at 10:57 PM, Anne Burgess via groups.io <anne.genlists@...> wrote:

As a Scot, I find it patronising and faintly offensive that language I and my friends use regularly is described as 'weird'.

Apart from the expression 'och aye' which is only ever used to mock those who think that we go around saying 'och aye' all the time.

Anne

Allan Moore

Not defending anyone, but from the Oxford English Dictionary:

On Dec 5, 2020, at 06:14, Wayne Shepheard <wshepheard@...> wrote:

Well said, Anne. I think my wife's entire family, and a few of my own ancestors, would be insulted. Surely people who study or wish to comment on dialects or regional language variations (not just limited to Scottish backgrounds) could state their ideas with more clarity and sensitivity.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 2:57 AM Anne Burgess via groups.io <anne.genlists=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
As a Scot, I find it patronising and faintly offensive that language I and my friends use regularly is described as 'weird'.

Apart from the expression 'och aye' which is only ever used to mock those who think that we go around saying 'och aye' all the time.

Anne

Allan Wands

Hi Valorie:
Thanks for posting these resources.
Allan

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 1:26 AM Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@...> wrote:
FamilySearch hosted four webinars about Scottish research a few days back. The recordings are now available on their Facebook page:

Using the Wiki and ScotlandsPeople for Scottish Research

Och Aye! Understanding Weird Scottish Words and Phrases

Scotland Land and Property Records

Scotland Probate Records

mllorimer34

Thank you very much Valorie .🌹