Topics

Research help on Thomas Gray, Lord Provost of Aberdeen in 1645

Dee Horn

This web site has several web sites about Lord Provost in Aberdeen don't believe the Lord Gray they have listed  in different web sites is the one you are looking for but the provost web sites listed look helpful

Dee Horn

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 01:12:33 AM MST, Bob Elder via groups.io <relder@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of a genealogy group in Liverpool. I have only found one of the family moved from Scotland to Newcastle on Tyne  & then over to Liverpool

Thank you

Bob Elder

Bob Elder

Does anyone know of a genealogy group in Liverpool. I have only found one of the family moved from Scotland to Newcastle on Tyne  & then over to Liverpool

Thank you

Bob Elder

kengray1000@...

Thanks Anne, currently reading everything I can find on Aberdeen in the 1600s.

I concur with your final paragraph, the curse of online research and misplaced hope.

kengray1000@...

Hi Josephine

Thanks for that, it pretty much confirms all I have discovered so far.

Scotlands People records show a marriage of Thomas Gray and Isobell Farquer and you can also find all their children there. Working back from her oldest child birth date and her marriage in 1630, suggests she was born around 1610. The book, Memorials of the aldermen, provosts, and Lord provosts of Aberdeen confirms that Thomas's father was Patrick Gray and also that he was married to Isobell Farquar. The book also confirms all their children that I found on Scotlands People.

The tree from my DNA match is the USA is confirmed back to the above Thomas Gray and this being the period of our common ancestor. My line also goes back to Thomas Gray at the same time, however, this one has a different wife. The marriages and baptisms in both lines are documented in St Nicholas, Aberdeen.

My inquiries now are to try and find out if Thomas had two wives as Isobell was 35 years younger than Thomas and was perhaps the second wife. My line could then be a result of a first marriage.

Its a theory. I spend my time reading old historical accounts of Aberdeen at that time. I find all the names above but not yet the connections. I really need a time machine.

Regards

Ken

Anne Burgess

Have you tried the Aberdeen Archives? https://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/services/libraries-and-archives/aberdeen-city-and-aberdeenshire-archives

Whatever you do, do ***not*** trust any family trees you find online, Use them only as a pointer for possible further research, and be prepared to reject them if they do not match the documentary evidence. The further back you go, the fewer records have actually survived, and just because you can find only one record that seems to fit your ancestor does not mean it has to be the right person, especially when the surname is a common one.

Josephine Conray

Hi Ken

There are quite a few family trees on Ancestry with a mixture of Patents names but most of them have the same dates as yours.

Example of Parents names

Robert Gray/Graye 1560-1618 and Katherine Myles 1565-1617

Nicoll Gray & Katherine Myles

Patrick Gray & Elspait Gordone

Robert Gryer ( de Gray)

Gray &  Mary Button

Most of the tree only have one child John Gray 159. But there is one other that has children as John, Jessie Roack b 31 Oct 1883 Bap. 1 Feb 1884, Thomas, James,  then at the very end Henery/Henry b16 Nov 1654.

Name

Thomas Gray

Mother Elspait Gordone

Father Patrik Gray

Baptism 15/11/1576 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland

FHL Film Number:

991133

Record information.

Name

Thomas Gray

Spouse

Isobell Farquheir

Marriage

05/07/1630 Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland

FHL Film Number:

991138

Name

Thomas Gray

Spouse  Issobell Davidson

Marriage  09/06/1654 Largo, Fife, Scotland

FHL Film Number:

1040180

The lady above to what I can work out is also called Issobell Thomesour she was born About 1578 at Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen.

The above marriage has one child John Gray b 28 Nov 1596 in Dumfermline, Fife. Married 3 July 1621 to Alision Marlene.

As to two marriages for Thomas Gray I can only find the two above for Issibell Dividson/ Thomesoun and Isobell Farquheir.  I cannot find any marriage of lady where she is 35 years younger than Thomas.

The years as Thomas Gray was Provost of Aberdeen 1645-1646, 1648-1649, 1655-1656

I am not connected to this family just helping.

Qld. Aust.