Topics

Elizabeth BLAIRE, wife of Andrew GRAHAM "of Wallacetown"

Jocelyn Gould

Sound advice Anne.  Appreciate the effort you put into assisting others.

Jocelyn

On 25/07/2020 6:50 pm, Anne Burgess via groups.io wrote:
Have you tried contacting the Clan Blair archivist?

'The Surnames of Scotland' says that Blair is of territorial origin from one or more of the places of the name.

The origin of the place name is from Gaelic 'blar' which has a lot of meanings including a piece of ground or a battlefield so there are plenty to choose from.

IIRC Balthayock and somewhere near Blairgowrie were also seats of Blair families in Perthshire.

BTW never trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document. In particular don't trust online trees - use them as a pointer and confirm every step from originals. You cannot always know whether an online tree has been carefully researched or is a blend of fantasy and wishful thinking. And just because An****y or any other commercial web site has hundreds of trees saying the same thing means nothing, because people find a tree online and attach it to their own without checking, and over time every error is repeated dozens or hundreds of times.

Anne Burgess

[...]

Kelly P Graham

Thank you, Josephine :) This is the line I'm following! :) It took me a long time to find that line. I am not sure - because Andrew's date- and place-
of- birth were never mentioned - but, the GRAHAMS may have still been centered around Kincardine Castle in Perthshire at this time! I mention that because
I have read (via Wiki, for what it's worth) that a branch of the Blairs (or an independent family) was seated in Perthshire.
--
Kelly Paul Graham

Josephine Conray

Hi Kelly

There are some 225 Family trees on Ancestry for this family.  I have had a look at a few but they do not show Elizabeth Blair parents.  I do not know how much information you have on the family, I do not want to be writing lots of info if you have got it already so let me know what you want and will look.

Elizabeth Blair born 1453 at Blair House Dalry, Ayrshire

Andrew Graham of Wallacetown, Scot b 1455 Ayrshire and died before 1521 at Knockdolian Castel Ayrshire

Their son Gilbert Graham b 1494 Knockdolin Castle and died 1532 Knockdolin Castle Ayrshire. Married Mariot Cathcart of Glendoeis in 1519

I will have a look at more of the family to see if anyone has Elizabeth Parents.

Transactions-383

I am looking for the birth-family of Elizabeth BLAIR, wife of Andrew GRAHAM "of Wallacetown", and mother of Gilbert GRAHAM "of Knockdolian" (killed in 1547). To which family of BLAIR did Elizabeth belong?

Thank you for any help given.
--
Kelly Paul Graham

Kelly P Graham