Topics

Looking for Duncan Campbell...

Lynne Roberts

I know - it's like looking for John Smith.  I've had experts tell me that it's hopeless - David Dobson and Bruce Durie gave me some help, but in effect said it was hopeless.  But hope springs eternal - and I've been looking for him for years - why stop now?

Duncan Campbell - my only immigrant ancestor - my one and only opportunity to research family naturalization and immigration records - is a complete enigma prior to just before 1800.  My problem is that I have no idea - and have no way of finding out - where in Scotland he came from.  I went to Scotland and spent a week at the National Archives (Scotland's People had nothing and sent me there) and found very interesting documents and letters - had a great time but found nothing to further my family research.  When he first arrived with his wife Christiana and daughter Katherine, he went to Pennsylvania and stayed a couple of years prior to moving on to Ohio.  Have never found credible proof of them in PA.  I have researched and catalogued his life since 1816 - in Licking County, OH.  He then moved on to Radnor, Delaware Co, OH where he remained for the rest of his life - and where I found him being naturalized in the court records.  The one way I thought I could trace him in Scotland was through traditional naming patterns.  That appears to be very useful and I think I have a line on families in the Killin, Perthshire area.  As an aside, I found it extremely interesting to follow the naming pattern - it didn't identify THE family, but it sure helped to eliminate a lot of others.

Info on family is:
Duncan Campbell 1768 Scotland -1850 Radnor Delaware OH
Christiana (Kider?) 1768 Scotland - 1849 Radnor Delaware OH
Katherine Toothaker 1794 Scotland - 1844 Radnor
Elizabeth Rankin 1798 PA 1861 Newark, Licking, OH
Susanna Wise 1806 PA 1864 Troy, Delaware, OH
Peter Campbell 1808 PA - 1856 Rochester, Racine, WI
William Campbell  abt 1810 - Licking Co, OH bef 5 Mar 1859
Isabella Darst - OH, 30 June 1882 Troy, Delaware, OH

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.  Have been to Radnor and through their court house and genealogy society - helpful but not for origins.  He just wasn't talking and before I die I'd love to know where he came from!!!

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have

Lynne

Eliz Cook

Does the immigration record say where he boarded the boat?

Eliz

On 3 Jul 2020, at 9:16 am, Lynne Roberts <lnroberts673@...> wrote:
[...]

_._,_._,_

Lynne Roberts

Heck no - gives no personal information at all - other than his name etc.  I have found not a single document including will and probate that includes that information.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 6:06 PM Eliz Cook <elizcook@...> wrote:
[...]

Pity. my guys boarded the boat in Glasgow. Little bits of info make up the jigsaw.keep looking

Eliz

On 3 Jul 2020, at 11:18 am, Lynne Roberts <lnroberts673@...> wrote:

[...]

Nope - nothing - there are no immigration records.  And I was told by Durie and Dobson that pre-1800 I shouldn't expect any immigration documentation at all.  There just aren't any records that I - or they - have been able to find.

[...]

I'm happy to keep on looking - but there's no place to look that I can find - that's the reason I'm sharing this with you all.  As I just said - experienced researchers Durie and Dobson told me to forget it - that there wasn't anything to find pre-1800.  I'm just not willing to throw in the towel.

Lynne

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 6:24 PM Eliz Cook <elizcook@...> wrote:
[...]

Goldie & Lido Doratti

You give their children..are the 2nd names you give MARRIED names, or in fact a second name of the child?  IF in fact, they are 2nd names you should also check out them.  For example......Rankin to me, would indicate someone’s grandmother’s maiden name.  Also the spellings.....the way you have spelled Christina..CHRISTIANA....never saw that spelling before.....try ‘messing’ with spellings and see what comes up.  DUNCAN may be shortened to Dunc.......Look for a marriage between Dunc and Christ** using wild cards.....but don’t give up on it.  Duncan Campbell is like looking for Joe Smith in New York city..how many do you think there were?  dig deep.....and Good luck......Goldie

[...]

Josephine Conray

Hi Lynne

There are a lot on family trees on Ancestry with not much info but there was one with the same information as yours. Not sure if it your family but it some to work on

On her tree she has the following.

Duncan Campbell / Camble

Birth 5 May 1768 Argylleshire, Scotland, Great Britain

Death 25 September 1850 Radnor, Delaware County. Ohio. USA

Parents

Alexander Campbell about  b1741 Innerhadden, Fortingall, Perthshire

Katherine/Catherine McPhail  About b 1741 Innerhadden, Fortingall, Perthshire

They were married 19 April 1766 Fortingall Perthshire.

Two Chrildren

Donald Campbell 1766

Duncan Campbell or Camble c b1768

Different spelling names

Dorst  -- Darst

Wise – Weiss

Peter Campbell born about 1807 Pennsylvania & died 28 July 1865 Rochester, Racina Co. Wisconsin, USA. Married Elizabeth Winn 24 Jan 1836 Saint Joseph, Indiana, USA

She also has this record in her tree for a  soldier pension might be worth looking into.

UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service Records, 1760-1920

Name                     Duncan Campbel

Enlistment Age       32

Discharge Age         46

Birth Date              1768

Birth Place              Glenorclay Argyle

Enlistment Year       1800

Discharge Year        1814

Regiment               2nd Battalion 79th Regiment Of Foot

This below is an Ancestry record for a Baptism .

Name:

Duncan Campbell

Gender:

Male

Baptism Date:

Baptism Place:

Fortingall, Perth, Scotland

Father:

Alexander Campbell

Mother:

Katharin

FHL Film Number:

1040116, 0102727

I have search Scotland People and found these records for the Campbell family

Marriage of   CAMPBELL

ALEXANDER

KATHARIN MC PHAIL                                        M

19/04/1766

355/A

10 231

Fortingall

Birth of      CAMPBELL

DONALD

ALEXANDER CAMPBELL/KATRIN MC PHAIL FR116 (FR116)

27/03/1766

355/A

10 109

Fortingall

Birth of         CAMPBELL

DUNCAN

ALEXANDER CAMPBELL/KATHARIN

31/07/1768

355/A

10 114

Fortingall

Hope this helps

[...]

Donald Young

Hi Elizabeth;

If you haven’t already checked .... There are a number of trees on Ancestry that have these individuals.  You might find something in one or more of them.
Blessings,

Donald Young

[...]

Hi Lynne,

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 4:16 PM Lynne Roberts <lnroberts673@...> wrote:
[...]

When you have found all you can about a person or family, then it's time to investigate their FAN club. What's that? Family, Associates, and Neighbors. I'm sure we've all heard (and usually
 ignored)the advice to always read the 3 pages before your family in the census, and the 3 pages after. Well, that's one way to start -- look at the earliest records you have, and who the family,
 associates and neighbors are. Move forward through time, and notice who shows up. Who are the witnesses? Pallbearers? What families did the children marry into?

Begin with doing thorough research of any siblings or other close relatives who may have preceded them to Pennsylvania and then Ohio? Or accompanied them, and came later to join them?
 Have you checked old newspapers for social stories about the family? People usually came to a new place for a reason, and very often traveled with locals if not family.

For a bit more about this tactic, see https://lisalouisecooke.com/2016/10/29/genealogy-fan-club/ among many others.

Hope this helps,

Valorie

Dee Horn

I found this on him on bing search  it seems tobe the same person

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 04:16:37 PM MST, Lynne Roberts <lnroberts673@...> wrote:

[...]

Sorry - should have made it clearer - Toothaker, Rankin and Wise are the girls married names - none of the family had middle names.  That didn't start until the next generation - my great grandmother was Emma Maline Campbell - daughter of son Peter who is my 2nd great grandfather.  And don't think I don't know how common the name Duncan is - when I talked to Durie and gave him the name, he laughed out loud and told me to forget it.  As you can see, I didn't take his advice.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 7:51 PM Goldie & Lido Doratti <lidogold2@...> wrote:
[...]

This information is clearly a mishmash of information - some accurate and some not and much completely unrelated - someone has combined a lot of various Campbells and assumed that they are related and they are not.  The information about Duncan's burial is relevant but doesn't match other data that I have documented.  On Scotland's People I found many baptism records that were close but none were spot on.  And I should note that Duncan was not Anglican or Presbyterian - he was Methodist.

However, I will spend some time going over this material - it looks familiar - think I've "been there before" - but it's worth a second look.  Thanks

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 8:02 PM Josephine Conray <javc@...> wrote:

[...]

Trust me - I have - I am a great believer in researching every aspect of their lives - relatives and friends etc etc - to the extent of spending over a week in Delaware and Licking Counties pouring over court and local records - visiting cemeteries (the one in Radnor is really lovely) - and pursuing every lead I could find.  The full extent of my research is on my website in the Norwood files at http://www.lynnesgenealogy.com.

I would research other relatives if I knew who they were and where they were from.  I suspect that if there had been relatives who arrived before them, they would have been in Pennsylvania and I have never been able to identify where they settled on arrival.  They were in PA for about 10 years - long enough for three children to be born - before they moved on to Licking County, OH where there are good records.  I have always thought that their settling in Pennsylvania was the best and the most inconclusive information I picked up about them - has never paid off for me.  But I keep looking.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 11:44 PM Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@...> wrote:
[...]

jemooney@...

A couple ideas.....

FAN club ... Is anyone listed as witnesses on court documents (land records, Wills/probate), church records (baptism, marriage etc), newspaper records, neighbour in census records.  Have you traced Christina as well?  There’s a very interesting webinar on Legacy Webinar called  “ The Five-story Fall: Correlating Indirect and Direct Evidence...” That provides an example of using the FAN club and unusual sources to extend research. (Legacy often provides some of their webinars for free)

DNA evidence.  I’m still leaning more and more about how to interpret DNA evidence however in this case X DNA and YDNA lines maybe helpful for you.  There’s a lot of very helpful webinars on Legacy that help with sorting out and interrupting the DNA evidence. I do think, however that DNA has to be combined with solid traditional genealogical research.  DNA evidence may provide new clues for where to search further

good luck!

Lynne Roberts

Yep - but now that I've gotten so many suggestions from this group I'm re-looking - hoping I've missed something.

A VERY BIG THANK YOU TO YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES - I'M GOING OVER EVERYTHING I'VE COLLECTED OVER THE YEARS INCLUDING ALL OF MY FILES IN HOPE OF FINDING A NUGGET THAT WILL OPEN THE DOOR.  THANKS SO MUCH - THIS IS A WONDERFUL RESOURCE!!