Topics

Ewan Mackay/McKay-Boggierow death

Joanne Mackay

Hi all

I am enquiring about my GGGG Grandfather Ewen/Ewan/Ewing/Evan/Even Mackay/McKay/McCay (so many diff spellings).

He died 21/12/1842 at Boggierow, Fordyce. He was an Ag Lab and was born c 1791 in Scotland.

He married  in 1819 at Deskford to Margaret Russel.

I have enquired on forums about this family before and don’t want to waste anyone’s time going over info again so I am trying to ask specific questions.

Previous answers have been helpful but I can’t get any traction.

I am trying to find out who his parents were and if he died in Boggierow where would he have likely to have been buried.

He was probably poor and didn’t have a headstone and I haven’t found anything in regards to the death cloth (not sure of its proper title).

What would the population of Boggierow be back in 1842? What newspapers would deaths have been reported to in that area?

Thank you in advance.

Jo Mackay in Australia

Josephine Conray

Hi Jo

There are a few Family trees on Ancestry for Ewan Mackay but about four have the following information

Ewan Mackay Born 1791 Scotland and Died 21 Dec 1842 in Boggierow, Fordyce Scot. Patents William? MacKay/ McKay? And Ann? Gray?

Margaret Russell 23 Jan 1798 and Died 23 Jan 1864 Fordyce Village, Scot.

Ewan & Margaret had 10 children

I will keep looking so I hope this helps

Josephine

Bris, Aust.

[...]

Avast logo

Goldie & Lido Doratti

You need to get on to family search.org or to Scotland’s People and you will find the info you are looking for.  It’s called a Mort Cloth and not all, but most, churches had 2 of them; one was more expensive to rent than the other one.  They were used to cover the coffin or body from the kirk to the graveyard.  They were ‘rented’ and had to be returned to the Kirk (church).  Some of the old Parish Record books have pages of “Mort Cloth Rentals”.....because the church was required to keep an account of income and expenditures.  I have been told that they shouldn’t be in the Parish Record books of Births and Marriages, so some have them, some don’t, and they are evasive.  For example you might find a record saying “Joe Smith’s wife..10 “.........so if you know who Joe Smith’s wife is you would be safe to ‘assume’ she died sometimes before he paid for the Mort Cloth rental, and then could ‘assume’ she had died.  If the death is after 1855 when registration became mandatory in Scotland you can get the death registration from Scotland’s People site.  In 1841 Scotland did the first census, and that may be helpful as well.  Try these.........good luck, Goldie

[...]

This information is from Scotland People.

Ewen McKay married on 27 6 1819 at Deskford parish 151Ref 20-144 Margaret Russell

There is a death of a Evan McCay  on the 21-12-1842 parish 153 Ref/no 50-478 at Fordyce.

There is a marriage for William McKay to Ann Gray on 00/12/1784 Parish 153 Ref/no 40/408 Fordyce. Scot. So that would make their birth dates about 1763.

These are the children from that marriage on Scotland People

** the one John b1791 could be your Ewan, as I saw on one of the family tree in the early days John was use for Ewan.

I hope this helps

Josephine

Bris. Aust

[...]

He would have been buried in the parish kirkyard at Fordyce. See https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ5563 and discussion at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=504689.0

The cloth was called a Mortcloth. There are often records of payments for the hire of a mortcloth in the Kirk Session records, but these documents cannot (yet) be viewed on Scotland's People.

In the 1841 census Ewan's age is given as 50. In 1841 adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, which means that he could have been any age from 40 to 54. The census was taken on 7 June 1841, so if his age was accurate he was born some time between 8 June 1786 and 7 June 1791.

If he was poor enough not to have a headstone it is not likely that his death was reported in the newspapers. The most likely newspapers, if he was mentioned at all, would have been the Banffshire Journal and the Aberdeen Journal and Aberdeen Weekly Journal. Both of these are in the British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk. You can search it for free but if you want to see a full entry you need a subscription to the collection or you can view it with a subscription to FindMyPast. It is not easy to search because it can't accommodate spelling variations. I have had a look and did not find anything.

Boggierow is a single farm/croft - see https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.68158&lon=-2.70540&layers=5&b=1. If you want to know the number of people living there in 1842, you could get an idea by going to the 1841 census at https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl and 'walking' the enumeration district looking for mentions of Bog(g)ierow. Start by searching for Alexander Bannerman, aged 40, in the parish of Fordyce and use the 'previous household' and 'next household' buttons to find all the households at Bog(g)ierow. I would be surprised if there were more than three or four households there.

I see that the recorded children were John 1820, Janet 1821, Anne 1824, William 1826, Alexander 1828, Ewan 1830, Margaret 1832, Peter 1837, Joseph 1837 and Jane 1841. It looks as if Margaret Russell or McKay, mother's maiden surname Lawrence, died in Fordyce in 1864 aged 65. She could be the daughter of John Russell and Janet Lawrence, baptised 28 January 1798 in Rathven. You can verify this by viewing her death certificate on Scotland's People if you don't already have it. Have you seen all the children's baptism records? Are the witnesses named and if so do they provide any clues?

If this is her, then Ewan and Margaret do not seem to have followed the naming tradition exactly, unless Ewan's father's name was also John, and if that were the case you would expect the second son to be Ewan. Therefore, while it is possible that his parents' names were William and Anne, you can't be certain. Also, you know that, according to the 1841 census, he was ***not*** born in Banffshire, which leaves 32 other counties where he could have been born. It has been suggested that his parents were William McKay and Ann Gray, but all their recorded children **were** born in Banffshire.

As for trees on Ancestry or any other commercial web site, the golden rule is: never believe anything you find online, unless it is an image of an original document, and even then be wary as mistakes are not unknown. Just because there are four trees suggesting this does not lend any more weight to that idea than one tree, or forty-one trees, because people copy others' trees without checking them, so if the first one is wrong, then all the copied ones will be wrong as well.

If I were you I would take a very close look at those online trees, try to work out which was the first one submitted, and then contact whoever submitted that tree and ask them if they have any solid evidence to verify that William McKay and Ann Gray were the parents of Ewan McKay.

I'd sum up by saying that **if** the 1841 census is wrong about where Ewan was born, he **might** be John, son of William McKay and Ann Gray. But in my opinion the chances are that he was from further north and west, and unless you can find some other primary source, which is not likely, you will never be able to say with certainty who his parents were. Sorry to have to say that, but facts are chiels that winna ding.

Joanne Mackay

Thank you very much Josephine and Goldie. I appreciate the information you have looked up and for your advice.

One of the trees on Ancestry is mine J

I have thought about William McKay and Ann Gray being his parents but I actually can’t prove it. One of his sons Joseph has his fathers name as John on his death certificate which does tie in BUT is Ewen or variations everywhere else. Very confusing!!!

I thought if I could find his burial information it may help confirm him one way or the other maybe buried with parents etc.

I will check out familysearch.org for the Mort cloth info.

Thank you again. Appreciate it. HAPPY EASTER.

Jo Mackay

[...]

Chas Houston <cmcfhouston@...>

He was an Agric Labourer at Clune, Deskford, Banff in June 1841. He was not born in Banff.The closest graveyard is at Portsoy Cemetery, however many working folk would never have been able to afford a headstone in those times.

Boggierow is a small farm which can be seen on Goggle Earth STREET view by looking up the lane to it from the A98., so there was probaly only three families at most there in 1842.

Year County Place Civil Parish Piece Enumeration District Folio Page House Number House or Street Name
1841 Banffshire (BAN) Deskford Deskford 151 4 4 1
Clune
Surname Forenames Sex Age Occupation Birth County Notes
MCKAY Ewan M 50 Ag Labourer OUC
MCKAY Margaret F 40
BAN
MCKAY William M 15 Ag Labourer BAN
MCKAY Margaret F 9
BAN
MCKAY Peter M 7
BAN
MCKAY Joseph M 3
BAN

On 11-Apr-20 4:10 AM, Goldie & Lido Doratti wrote:
[...]

Howard

His Deskford marriage record of 27 Jun 1819 shows he was in Cullen at the time. The 1841 census for Deskford declares he was born in Scotland but not in Banffshire (and he was considerably older than his wife).

Could he have been a soldier stationed at Cullen, and discharged after the Napoleonic Wars? If so, his records might be in the National Archives - I believe you can try a Free Trial with FindMyPast to access the basics to at least find if there was a soldier of that name (I got 155 overall - 2 noted as being in Banffshire - whether that's birth place or discharge place I cannot tell).

If so, and what you can extract from FindMyPast isn't enough, a visit in person might unearth details of his entire career. (I found for example that one of mine was paid in money in lieu of beer - wrong way round to my mind!)

Joanne Mackay

Thank you to hw_03-lst-mor@... and Chas Houston for their valuable input .

Will try everything mentioned.

Thank you