Topics

Unity Simpson

Josephine Conray

Hi Ken

Thank you for your information. I am not related to this family.

I was trying to help Ian MacLeod with some information as I do have Ancestry and Happy to help anyone. I did not find much so I am sure he will be able to get something out of your email.

Cheers

Josephine

Qld Aust.

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ken Harrison
Sent: Sunday, 29 March 2020 1:56 AM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Unity Simpson

Ian & Josephine:

I’m very interested in this thread, even tho I may not be able to add much.

I have a lot of McVorans (various spellings) in my database, including many (like my own direct line) who changed the name to Morrison (and one or two to McMoran).

I do not have a Dougald, and so have no direct info for you (but see below).

My earliest proven ancestor in this line was Grace M(a)cVoran, who married under that name in 1816 to Duncan M(a)cNabb and started using the name Morrison in baptism records some time between 1825 and 1830.

Grace was born about 1791 (according to 1851 census) but I have never found a baptism or any indication of the names or home of her parents.  I have looked for her as both Grace and Grizzel, and as both McVoran and Morrison.

One suggestion I have come across, but have not been able to check, is that some McVorans came from Jura.

In that regard, I do have a note about your family, from John Gillies <john.gillies@...> who sent 25 May 2010 to Islay List:

“John McVorran who married Unity (Una) Simpson is recorded as the tenant of Island farm, Kilarow 1774-80-99   Children:

Dugal & John McVorran, B: Bowmore 1783

Jene (Jane) McVorran. B:  Jura 1787?, D: 1862, Camden, NSW, Australia.

In 1807 Jean married Donald McIndeor (McAlister) B: 1778?, D: 1835 and buried at Kilarow Cemetery.

Donald and Jean continued as tenants of Island farm until his death in 1835.   Jean and almost all her children then moved to Australia, where they promptly changed the family name to McAlister.”

The quoted material above seems to me to suggest that John and Unity commuted from Islay to Jura and back again during the 1780s.

I would be cautious about the 1860 death below, and not assume it is for the correct John.  While it is not unknown for ages at death to be incorrect, there is a 5-year discrepancy shown for the birth.

In my data I have another John McVoran b. abt 1781, who lived most of his life at Ballychatrigin.  John was a very common name.

Ken Harrison

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josephine Conray
Sent: March 27, 2020 9:17 PM

Hi Ian

There does not seen to be any information on either of the boys. This is the only thing on John Birth & Death.

Will keep looking

Cheers

Josephine

Qld. Aust

Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

Name:

John Mcvorran

Male

Baptism Date:

6 Nov 1783

Baptism Place:

, Killarrow, Argyll, Scotland

Father:

John Mcvorran

Mother:

Una Simson

FHL Film Number:

Reference ID:

- 2:15CGPVF

Deaths

Name:

John McVorran

Birth Date:

Death Date:

Cemetery:

Kilmeny Old Churchyard

Burial or Cremation Place:

Isle of Islay, Argyll and Bute, Scotland

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of ianmac1@...
Sent: Saturday, 28 March 2020 9:51 AM
Subject: [ScotGen] Unity Simpson

I am seeking information on Unity Simpson b1765, possibly on Islay, who married John McVorran b1760. They had at least 3 children, 2 brothers John McVorran b1783 d1860 and Dougald also b1783 and 1 sister Jene or Jane McVorran b1782 Bowmore, Islay, d12/2/1862 at Glendareul, Camden, NSW, Australia. Married Donald McIndeor b1790 d1836 in Bowmore. I have the full information on Jene but nothing on the brothers and the mother, ant help would be appreciated.

Ian MacLeod

Taree, NSW, Australia

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Ken Harrison

Ian & Josephine:

I’m very interested in this thread, even tho I may not be able to add much.

I have a lot of McVorans (various spellings) in my database, including many (like my own direct line) who changed the name to Morrison (and one or two to McMoran).

I do not have a Dougald, and so have no direct info for you (but see below).

My earliest proven ancestor in this line was Grace M(a)cVoran, who married under that name in 1816 to Duncan M(a)cNabb and started using the name Morrison in baptism records some time between 1825 and 1830.

Grace was born about 1791 (according to 1851 census) but I have never found a baptism or any indication of the names or home of her parents.  I have looked for her as both Grace and Grizzel, and as both McVoran and Morrison.

One suggestion I have come across, but have not been able to check, is that some McVorans came from Jura.

In that regard, I do have a note about your family, from John Gillies <john.gillies@...> who sent 25 May 2010 to Islay List:

John McVorran who married Unity (Una) Simpson is recorded as the tenant of Island farm, Kilarow 1774-80-99   Children:

Dugal & John McVorran, B: Bowmore 1783

Jene (Jane) McVorran. B:  Jura 1787?, D: 1862, Camden, NSW, Australia.

In 1807 Jean married Donald McIndeor (McAlister) B: 1778?, D: 1835 and buried at Kilarow Cemetery.

Donald and Jean continued as tenants of Island farm until his death in 1835.   Jean and almost all her children then moved to Australia, where they promptly changed the family name to McAlister.

The quoted material above seems to me to suggest that John and Unity commuted from Islay to Jura and back again during the 1780s.

I would be cautious about the 1860 death below, and not assume it is for the correct John.  While it is not unknown for ages at death to be incorrect, there is a 5-year discrepancy shown for the birth.

In my data I have another John McVoran b. abt 1781, who lived most of his life at Ballychatrigin.  John was a very common name.

Ken Harrison

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Josephine Conray
Sent: March 27, 2020 9:17 PM

Hi Ian

There does not seen to be any information on either of the boys. This is the only thing on John Birth & Death.

Will keep looking

Cheers

Josephine

Qld. Aust

Name:

John Mcvorran

Male

Baptism Date:

6 Nov 1783

Baptism Place:

Father:

John Mcvorran

Mother:

Una Simson

FHL Film Number:

Reference ID:

Deaths

Name:

John McVorran

Birth Date:

Death Date:

Cemetery:

Kilmeny Old Churchyard

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of ianmac1@...

I am seeking information on Unity Simpson b1765, possibly on Islay, who married John McVorran b1760. They had at least 3 children, 2 brothers John McVorran b1783 d1860 and Dougald also b1783 and 1 sister Jene or Jane McVorran b1782 Bowmore, Islay, d12/2/1862 at Glendareul, Camden, NSW, Australia. Married Donald McIndeor b1790 d1836 in Bowmore. I have the full information on Jene but nothing on the brothers and the mother, ant help would be appreciated.

Ian MacLeod

Taree, NSW, Australia

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Josephine Conray

Hi Ian

This is the only thing that I can find on your Dougald. There are 23 family trees on Ancestry for Dugal but they all have the same information Baptise at Killarrow, Argyll and born 6 nov 1783 at Bowmore, Islay.

I cannot find any  information on Unity other them one family tree has her as Unity Simpson b 1765 Scotland AKA Una Simson.  But nothing came up on Ancestry or Scotland People for her.

There is a family tree for John McVonnan b 1760 Scotland and it state his parents are  Duncan McVorn and Mary McCallun. Once again could not find anything  search under  all spelling names on both sites but no luck.

Spelling for McVorran,  McVoran  and McVorn

Spelling for Simpson and Simson

There are a couple  marriages for both a John & Dugal McVorran but they would be about 35 years old when they got married. If you want the names & date just let me know.

I sorry I cannot help

Cheers

Josephine

Qld Aust.

Name:

Dugal Mcvorran

Male

Baptism Date:

6 Nov 1783

Baptism Place:

Father:

John Mcvorran

Mother:

Una Simson

FHL Film Number:

Reference ID:

- 2:15CGPT7

His Birth 06 NOV 1783 Bowmore, Islay, Scotland

Ian MacLeod

Taree, NSW, Australia

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Josephine Conray

Hi Ian

Will keep looking

Cheers

Josephine

Qld. Aust

Name:

John Mcvorran

Male

Baptism Date:

6 Nov 1783

Baptism Place:

Father:

John Mcvorran

Mother:

Una Simson

FHL Film Number:

Reference ID:

Deaths

Name:

John McVorran

Birth Date:

Death Date:

Cemetery:

Kilmeny Old Churchyard

Ian MacLeod

Taree, NSW, Australia

Avast logo

www.avast.com

ianmac1@...

Ian MacLeod

Taree, NSW, Australia