From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ken Harrison
Sent: Sunday, 29 March 2020 1:56 AM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Unity Simpson

Ian & Josephine:

I’m very interested in this thread, even tho I may not be able to add much.

I have a lot of McVorans (various spellings) in my database, including many (like my own direct line) who changed the name to Morrison (and one or two to McMoran).

I do not have a Dougald, and so have no direct info for you (but see below).

My earliest proven ancestor in this line was Grace M(a)cVoran, who married under that name in 1816 to Duncan M(a)cNabb and started using the name Morrison in baptism records some time between 1825 and 1830.

Grace was born about 1791 (according to 1851 census) but I have never found a baptism or any indication of the names or home of her parents.  I have looked for her as both Grace and Grizzel, and as both McVoran and Morrison.

One suggestion I have come across, but have not been able to check, is that some McVorans came from Jura.

In that regard, I do have a note about your family, from John Gillies <john.gillies@...> who sent 25 May 2010 to Islay List:

“John McVorran who married Unity (Una) Simpson is recorded as the tenant of Island farm, Kilarow 1774-80-99   Children:

      Dugal & John McVorran, B: Bowmore 1783

      Jene (Jane) McVorran. B:  Jura 1787?, D: 1862, Camden, NSW, Australia.

In 1807 Jean married Donald McIndeor (McAlister) B: 1778?, D: 1835 and buried at Kilarow Cemetery.

Donald and Jean continued as tenants of Island farm until his death in 1835.   Jean and almost all her children then moved to Australia, where they promptly changed the family name to McAlister.”

The quoted material above seems to me to suggest that John and Unity commuted from Islay to Jura and back again during the 1780s.

I would be cautious about the 1860 death below, and not assume it is for the correct John.  While it is not unknown for ages at death to be incorrect, there is a 5-year discrepancy shown for the birth.

In my data I have another John McVoran b. abt 1781, who lived most of his life at Ballychatrigin.  John was a very common name.

Ken Harrison