Topics

Maiden Name or Married Name

Janet Farmer

I was told many years ago that a married woman went by her married name and after her husband's death she continued using his name for one year then reverted to using her maiden name e.g.  Catherine Caskey (marriage recorded but no death and no mention on any census)was shown on the 1841 census of Islay; on the 1851 Census she was shown as Catherine Smith (her maiden name). I have always assumed that this was the first year after his death - or maybe not:)-

I also know that just because a name is on a stone in the cemetery does not mean that person is buried there.  My grandmother put her daughter's name (married name) on the family stone, but she is not buried there.  My gg grandmother's name is on a stone but there is no record of her having died even although she died after civil registration.  I checked this with Scotlandspeople and they confirmed they have no record.

Janet

Avast logo

Jocelyn Gould

Another interesting topic Janet and getting away from maiden surnames and even to a different country but it explains past practices - I have a 2gtgf name on a headstone in Cornwall but he was lost at sea off the Irish coast in a storm.  No body was recovered so there are no death or burial records.  The name on the headstone is just meant to commemorate the fact that he lived and died and was part of that family.

Have a good day

Jocelyn

On 28/03/2020 2:12 am, Janet Farmer via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Lauraine Syrnick

My Mother (non-Scottish) was buried as Ella B. Smith and when I saw it was horrified.  She was born as Ella B. Whittier and married my Dad, David Laurie Smith (Scottish ancestry).  I asked my Dad why he had buried her and not put her maiden name as his parents were shown as Nelson Smith and Jessie Hird (her maiden), his wife.

My Dad had no excuse but after he died, I paid a considerable sum to have my mothers maiden name put on the gravestone along with his dates.

Lauraine (Smith) Syrnick

On Mar 27, 2020, at 18:42, Jocelyn Gould <jocelyngould@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi All

Off topic completely can someone tell me what this  Â and what do you used it for.

Josephine

[...]

Image removed by sender. Avast logo

Edited

I have never heard of anything quite so formal.

It is perfectly true that a married woman in Scotland doed not legally change her surname. In all later documents she is formally referred to as 'xxx yyy or zzz' where 'xxx' is her given name, 'yyy' her own maiden surname and 'zzz' her husband's surname. She may of course had had more than one husband, so 'zzz' could be 'zzz1 or zzz2 or ....'

This is why the mother's maiden surname is usually included in baptism records (if the mother is named at all!), why the gravestones of married women usually show their maiden surnames, and why married women are indexed by maiden surname and the surnames of all husbands in the Scottish death indexes, assuming that the informant was able to supply all this information of course.

It is unusual for a married woman in the 18th century, and even the early 19th, to be referred to be her husband's surname. I have seen many baptisms like this one: "1748, September 11th. William lawful son to Alexander Leslie of Balnageith in Burncrooks and Mrs Anne Duff his spouse was baptized." [Rothes Parish Register] or death notices like this one: "Died at Newton of Duffus on the 3d inst Mrs Margaret Mason, relict of the late Mr William Leslie, tailor there, aged 85." [Forres, Elgin and Nairn Gazette]

Mrs, the abbreviation for Mistress, would have been fully pronounced as 'mistress', not 'missis', and the full title was applied to all women, married or single. Think of Carolina Oliphant's poem,'The Laird of Cockpen' when the proud pompous self-important suitor comes wooing and says "Gae tell Mistress Jean to come speedily ben ..." (full text at https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/laird-o-cockpen/, and sung by Kenneth McKellar at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLYP7I9rVFU)

In some early census records wives are recorded by their maiden surnames, and widows even more frequently. They also remarried using their maiden surname, like this example: "1834, 26th June. James Hay merchant in Arbroath and Margaret Sang, widow, residing in Timber Market in this parish were contracted in order to marriage and having been regularly proclaimed were married the 30th June." [Brechin Parish Register] Margaret Sang was the daughter of Alexander Sang and his wife Margaret Mill, and the widow of Andrew Watt, whom she had married in 1812.