Eliz Cook

Wow! Thank you.

Elizabeth

On 22 Mar 2020, at 11:59 am, Josephine Conray <javc@...> wrote:

Hi Elizabeth.

Just found this in the USA shipping records I think it your two boys, as Alexander is with his brother. Will keep looking.

Name:

Fargahar Mclay

Arrival Date:

Birth Date:

abt 1829

Age:

24

Gender:

Male

Ethnicity/ Nationality:

Scottish (Scotish)

Place of Origin:

Scotland

Port of Departure:

Glasgow, Scotland

Destination:

New York

Port of Arrival:

New York, New York

Ship Name:

Champion

From: Josephine Conray

Hi Elizabeth

All the family trees on Ancestry have Farquhar McLeay death as 1838 in Scotland but with no place. I have search Scotland people and cannot find a death for Farquhar McLeay either side of that date by 10 years.

There seems to be a couple of families from around the same area that could be connected.

This one is Farquhar McLeay and Ann Mclver who had the following

Children,

Murdock Baptism 7/10/1822 in Urray,

Alexander Baptism 21/9/1824 in Urray,

Farquhar Baptism 21/9/1824, in Urray

Farquhar Baptism 14/4/1827, Urray

Your family is Farquhar McLeay and Ann Campbell born c1811 Ardacky  Kilmorack, Inverness, Scot.

Children:

Margaret Baptism 15 March 1832 Kilmorack, Inverness, Scotland Film/no 990709

Ann Baptism 28 April 1835 Kilmorack as above

Colin Baptism 8 Dec 1836 Kilmorack same as above.

I found a Margaret McLennan married to a Simon Fraser 1870 but I did find a Margaret McLeay married to a Finlay Fraser in 1855 in Kilmorack.

Also found a Farquhar McLeay in NSW Police a Probationary Constables 1 Nov 1884 and 1 Feb 1885 police officer shield no 4785. He might be something to do with your family.

Hope this helps

From: Josephine Conray

Hi Elizabeth

All the family trees on Ancestry have Farquhar McLeay death as 1838 in Scotland but with no place. I have search Scotland people and cannot find a death for Farquhar McLeay either side of that date by 10 years.

There seems to be a couple of families from around the same area that could be connected.

This one is Farquhar McLeay and Ann McCiver who had the following

[...]

My McLeay FRASER connection I believe is Margaret married Simon.
I understood two Murdock McLeays, imagined one died, but there was certainly a Murdock, Ann and Colin who came to Aus. With their mother Ann.
I understood Ann Campbell was born 1897 and she married FArquhar McLeay in 1820 in Urray and they moved to Kilmorack after Colin was born.
when Ann ,the daughter, dies in Launceston the death notice said she was the granddaughter of Donald McLeay of the 77th Rossshire Highlanders.
There were prominent McLeays in Australian parliament and a naturalist in sYdney which I have believed were not related.
Not sure where I go with this.

Elizabeth

[...]

Goldie & Lido Doratti

Here is a ‘glimmer’ of hope.  See the film for this parish for these years (1838 ish).  The Parish Minister had to keep a record of income and expenses, so often (NOT ALWAYS) you will see a page in the record of marriages and births called Mort Cloth Rentals.  While it won’t tell you what date the death took place it will give the date the Mort Cloth was rented to place over the deceased.  Of course it would depend on whether or not the family could afford to rent one.  Not all, but most parishes had 2 Mort Cloths.....one for the poorer folks and one for those who had more money.  The cloth covered the body to the grave yard where it was removed before burial.  I have seem many films and must say not all parishes put this info in the register book for births and marriages, but on occasion you get lucky.  And note....it may say “Joe Smith’s wife” and not give her by her first and maiden name.  Worth the ‘shot’......Goldie

[...]

Seymour Hosking

There is a Farquhar McLeay at Kiltarlity in the 1841 census. He married Ann Fraser in 1837 and they have two children born 1838 and 1839 or so.
He is aged 58 in 1871.

DixieAC

Good luck. Hope you find him. I’m still hunting for an unknown father myself (early 1800s) and it’s not so easy.

On Mar 18, 2020, at 4:39 PM, Eliz Cook <elizcook@...> wrote:

Hi
I am looking for Farquhar McLeay who fathered a child Colin born 1836 in Blarnabee, Urray.
Where did Farquhar die and where is he buried?
By 1841 the family minus him is in Kilmorack.
Any ideas?
Elizabeth

On 11 Mar 2020, at 1:47 AM, Josephine Conray <javc@...> wrote:

Hi the test came through but it’s the only one on this new list
Josephine