Topics

Codes

Edie Mc

Hi Janet,
I would only use Chapman codes in the subject heading to make room for more important info like names and dates. Not sure about anyone else, but when I click on the next email. I see the body of that email. It is in the body of the email you can write the full County name,so really it just makes a little more room in the subject heading to put more info. Headings can become quite long.

I have been researching for around 36 years and I can always remember seeing Chapman codes or similar. It is a matter of choice whether you use them. it isnt that confusing, as I said the County will be mentioned in the body of the message anyway. It is your choice really how you write the County, some are obvious some are not.
regards
Edie Mcrthur

------ Original Message ------
To: Scots@scotland-genealogy.groups.io
Sent: Thursday, 6 Feb, 2020 At 1:40 PM
Subject: [ScotGen] Codes

Hi
I do not use codes and struggle some times to think what they are and could have written them many times by the time I look  them up and get them correct . Handy if one has a small data base , but my Scots relatives all 40,000 come from all over and I would rather remember them than fill my head with codes. Like anything of course one can get used to it if one has to, but they are surely not the best in a data base where descendants who are not genealogists will be looking or when a print out is sent. The uninitiated will struggle  no end  and of course a touch typist will not bother and an unrecognised code will just be a humbug.
What fun this genealogy is.
Cheers
Janet

--
EdieMc

DixieAC <DixieAC@...>

To code or not to code….

On Feb 5, 2020, at 6:57 PM, Lauraine Syrnick <lauraine.syrnick@...> wrote:

Janet, I am a touch typist and it would take me several minutes to look up codes if not longer. At one time did 80 words per minute. Am now 82 so not fast any more but can still touch type so much faster than looking an abbreviation up.
Lauraine - Canada
On Feb 5, 2020, 8:40 PM, Janet Miller <janetmiller@...> wrote:

Hi
I do not use codes and struggle some times to think what they are and could have written them many times by the time I look them up and get them correct . Handy if one has a small data base , but my Scots relatives all 40,000 come from all over and I would rather remember them than fill my head with codes. Like anything of course one can get used to it if one has to, but they are surely not the best in a data base where descendants who are not genealogists will be looking or when a print out is sent. The uninitiated will struggle no end and of course a touch typist will not bother and an unrecognised code will just be a humbug.
Cheers
Janet

Lauraine Syrnick

Janet, I am a touch typist and it would take me several minutes to look up codes if not longer. At one time did 80 words per minute. Am now 82 so not fast any more but can still touch type so much faster than looking an abbreviation up.
Lauraine - Canada

On Feb 5, 2020, 8:40 PM, Janet Miller <janetmiller@...> wrote:

Hi
I do not use codes and struggle some times to think what they are and could have written them many times by the time I look them up and get them correct . Handy if one has a small data base , but my Scots relatives all 40,000 come from all over and I would rather remember them than fill my head with codes. Like anything of course one can get used to it if one has to, but they are surely not the best in a data base where descendants who are not genealogists will be looking or when a print out is sent. The uninitiated will struggle no end and of course a touch typist will not bother and an unrecognised code will just be a humbug.
Cheers
Janet

Janet Miller

Hi
I do not use codes and struggle some times to think what they are and could have written them many times by the time I look  them up and get them correct . Handy if one has a small data base , but my Scots relatives all 40,000 come from all over and I would rather remember them than fill my head with codes. Like anything of course one can get used to it if one has to, but they are surely not the best in a data base where descendants who are not genealogists will be looking or when a print out is sent. The uninitiated will struggle  no end  and of course a touch typist will not bother and an unrecognised code will just be a humbug.
Cheers
Janet