Topics

MORE

Jocelyn Gould

Hi Folks,

Can I suggest that we also put the place or county name with the surname.  For compactness in the subject line, I suggest we use the Chapman Codes for the county and country.  These can be found at <https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Regions/Codes#index>   In my case it's MORE ROC SCT.  If we're all only looking in SCT then we can delete that to save space.  For those unfamiliar with these, ROC is Ross and Cromarty.

Cheers

Jocelyn in Australia

Dee Byster-Graham

Hi Trish, and error from me – last Mitchell is James MITCHELL b. 1791 – father of James b. 1813.

Thank you for the amendment – perhaps we both need strong coffee! J

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of tricia.barnett via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, 2 February 2020 8:30 PM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] MORE

Hi Dee    .   Typing error from me.   Death was 31 aug 1889.  I can send a copy . 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

(Snip)

Dee Byster-Graham

Thank you so much, Trish, I shall amend my tree accordingly.

Obviously my info from years ago was incorrect. Very much appreciate your help, as I left searching the Scottish side of our family several years ago to concentrate on the Irish line.

Infinitely harder there, and became so involved I have only yesterday became interested again in my Mitchell etc line.

Interesting address quoted – 7 Barony Place (from memory) is the  house the Mitchell’s lived in!

I do have a private Tree on Ancestry, probably not all correct, put together in haste, but better than loose paper J

My G-G Grandfather was James MITCHELL b. 1812 Clackmannonshire – he is as far back as I can go to date. Grandad was Alexander Mather Mitchell last child to be born in Glasgow before the family immigrated to Oz.

An amazing man, hugely musical could play any instrument he happened to pick up. A coppersmith by trade, also cooper, made stained glass windows, blacksmith, farmer – he excelled at everything.

Dee.

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of tricia.barnett via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, 2 February 2020 8:03 PM

Hi Dee.    ANDREW MORE   death cert.    12 Aug 1889 Stewart Place Shettleston.    Was a Colliery Clerk aged 77 son James (7 Barony Place) informant. Spouse and Parents named.  His father James More   Elizabeth Cruickshank..    

I was following Andrew's brother James originally.   

Have you got a tree online? 

My MORE paternal are in Caithness Scotland from late 1600s.    Of course many moved south.  Name also occasionally recorded Moor Moar Moir.  

Tricia.

Tricia

Hi Dee    .   Typing error from me.   Death was 31 aug 1889.  I can send a copy . 

-------- Original message --------
From: "tricia.barnett via Groups.Io" <tricia.barnett@...>
Date: 02/02/2020 10:03 (GMT+00:00)

Hi Dee.    ANDREW MORE   death cert.    12 Aug 1889 Stewart Place Shettleston.    Was a Colliery Clerk aged 77 son James (7 Barony Place) informant. Spouse and Parents named.  His father James More   Elizabeth Cruickshank..    

My MORE paternal are in Caithness Scotland from late 1600s.    Of course many moved south.  Name also occasionally recorded Moor Moar Moir.  

Tricia.

Tricia

Tricia.

Dee Byster-Graham

Hi Tricia, and other MORE searchers,

Hoping you can assist me further re More:

Many years ago a researcher sent to me the names of the parents of Andrew MORE 1812-1889 as:

James More and Christina Cameron, neither with B/D dates.

No Cruickshank named in the document at all.

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this, could it be a different married couple entirely or did my researcher have the name wrong?

Grateful thanks in advance, as this is my stumbling block.

Kindly,

Dee.

Sent: Friday, 31 January 2020 9:22 PM

Hi Dee.

Andrew More b 1812 was son of James More and Elizabeth Cruickshank. 

Born 14 apr 1812 baptised 19th apr 1712 Glasgow Gorbals  .  

I see your line : andrew more and mary bulloch's daughter  Mary More married 1874 Alex Mitchell.  They are in the 1881 census in scotland with 4 children.   Then to Australia as you said.    

Tricia

(clip)

_._,_._,_

Dee Byster-Graham

Thank you so much, Tricia!

So kind of you to send me g-g-grandfather’s parents – my 3GG’s!

And yet another ‘James’ to add – I must be truly blessed J That given name is in  our Mitchell family a gazillion times.

Have you any idea from where in Scotland the surname More originated, by any chance?

Kindly,

Dee.

Sent: Friday, 31 January 2020 9:22 PM

Hi Dee.

I see your line : andrew more and mary bulloch's daughter  Mary More married 1874 Alex Mitchell.  They are in the 1881 census in scotland with 4 children.   Then to Australia as you said.    

Tricia

Date: 31/01/2020 02:50 (GMT+00:00)

Hello from Dee,

Re; MORE

Searching the families related to:

ANDREW MORE                                                                                         F:                                                                               M:

Born:  14 May 1812               Glasgow, Gorbals, Lanarkshire.

Death:  31 August 1889        Glasgow, Shettleston, Lanarkshire

Wife:

MARY BULLOCH MORE                                                                           F:  JOHN BULLOCH  1765-1861                                 M: CATHARINE McFIE  1781-1841

Born: 1820

Death:  1880                         Glasgow, Shettleston, Lanarkshire.

So far I am unable to go further back with Andrew's parentage, however have a couple of generations at the back of Catharine.

A Daughter of this union married my great-grandfather ALEXANDER MATHER MITCHELL, prior to their immigration to Australia in 1880.

Thank you so much.

Kindly,

Dee.

Moreton Bay.

(snip)

Tricia

Hi Dee.

Tricia

Date: 31/01/2020 02:50 (GMT+00:00)

Hello from Dee,

Re; MORE

ANDREW MORE                                                                                         F:                                                                               M:

Wife:

MARY BULLOCH MORE                                                                           F:  JOHN BULLOCH  1765-1861                                 M: CATHARINE McFIE  1781-1841

So far I am unable to go further back with Andrew's parentage, however have a couple of generations at the back of Catharine.

A Daughter of this union married my great-grandfather ALEXANDER MATHER MITCHELL, prior to their immigration to Australia in 1880.

Thank you so much.

Kindly,

Dee.

Moreton Bay.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jocelyn Gould
Sent: Thursday, 30 January 2020 10:43 AM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io; tricia.barnett@...

Hello Tricia,

My paternal great grandmother was Catherine More/Moir b29 July 1833 at

Arkendeith farm, Avoch in the Black Isle, Ross-shire to Alexander More

and his second wife Catherine Mustard.  His first wife was Isobel More.

My Gedmatch # is T925706.

Jocelyn in Queensland, Australia

On 29/01/2020 7:39 pm, tricia.barnett via Groups.Io wrote:

> Hi Marjorie and Dee and all.

> Re Surnames.   I am a MORE born in Scotland. Family back to 1600s.   I

> have researched some other branches.

> I also have links to some other surnames you mention.

> Happy to share.

> Ydna tested for MORE  male paternal line by my brother     and  i have

> tested dna.  On Gedmatch.

> Tricia.

>

>

>

Dee Byster-Graham

Hello from Dee,

Re; MORE

Wife:

Thank you so much.

Kindly,

Dee.

Moreton Bay.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jocelyn Gould
Sent: Thursday, 30 January 2020 10:43 AM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io; tricia.barnett@...

Hello Tricia,

My paternal great grandmother was Catherine More/Moir b29 July 1833 at

Arkendeith farm, Avoch in the Black Isle, Ross-shire to Alexander More

and his second wife Catherine Mustard.  His first wife was Isobel More.

My Gedmatch # is T925706.

> Hi Marjorie and Dee and all.

> Re Surnames.   I am a MORE born in Scotland. Family back to 1600s.   I

> have researched some other branches.

> I also have links to some other surnames you mention.

> Happy to share.

> Ydna tested for MORE  male paternal line by my brother     and  i have

> tested dna.  On Gedmatch.

> Tricia.

>

>

>

Jocelyn Gould

Hello Tricia,

My paternal great grandmother was Catherine More/Moir b29 July 1833 at Arkendeith farm, Avoch in the Black Isle, Ross-shire to Alexander More and his second wife Catherine Mustard.  His first wife was Isobel More. My Gedmatch # is T925706.

Hi Marjorie and Dee and all.
Re Surnames.   I am a MORE born in Scotland. Family back to 1600s.   I have researched some other branches.
I also have links to some other surnames you mention.
Happy to share.
Ydna tested for MORE  male paternal line by my brother     and  i have tested dna.  On Gedmatch.
Tricia.