Topics

4 itms broadcasted

Lauraine Syrnick

I wouldn’t take anything said on here too seriously.  Obviously “weird” has a couple of meanings.  Definitely don’t think the person who  originally wrote this intended any insults to the Scottish people.  If anything they are trying to help us find ancestors.  Isn’t that what we want? The person may be old like me so coming from a 83 year old Canadian of Scottish background, just ignore them and try not to be hurt or feel insulted.

Good luck to all of your during this trying time with Covid-19.

Lauraine (Smith) Syrnick

You receive all messages sent to this group.._,_._

Barbara Fathers

Thx for the gentle reminder to think kindly, happy thoughts.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 4:22 PM Lauraine Syrnick <lauraine.syrnick@...> wrote:
I wouldn’t take anything said on here too seriously.  Obviously “weird” has a couple of meanings.  Definitely don’t think the person who  originally wrote this intended any insults to the Scottish people.  If anything they are trying to help us find ancestors.  Isn’t that what we want? The person may be old like me so coming from a 83 year old Canadian of Scottish background, just ignore them and try not to be hurt or feel insulted.

Good luck to all of your during this trying time with Covid-19.

Lauraine (Smith) Syrnick

You receive all messages sent to this group.._,_._

Anne Burgess

I certainly won't get hot under the collar about it, and I am sure that it was never intended to be offensive. As I said, **faintly** offensive.

Nevertheless some one out there at FS thinks that the language we use is 'weird'. Whether they understand 'weird' to mean uncanny or eerie, or bizarre, or peculiar, or strange, doesn't really matter. What matters is that yet again, someone has linked the concept of 'weird' with the context of 'Scotland'. Which says a lot about the writer's view of the world and not a lot about their sensitivity.

Anne

Hanneke

My maiden name is Weir -completely inured to anything added on school notice boards!!
I love the fact that this group has global members and wants to understand where they come from.
Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you all -roll on 2021!!

Goldie & Lido Doratti

Many Thanks for the Good Wishes.  The whole world needs love just now, WE WILL SURVIVE, right?  With regards to the words spoken, I can only feel a tad sad that the person who spoke them didn’t think for one minute of the meaning they were portraying to others.  I would say to just disregard them and consider the source. We have all spoke out of turn sometimes, or have had some one take a meaning different than we intended.  NO ONE is Scotland is ‘weird’ by any stretch of the imagination!  I have missed you folks on the list, and wonder what happened to you all.  God Bless ALL of you as we fight to get thru this pandemic.  It won’t be a Happy one for many of us, but we still need to care for those who are close to us and who we can help.  Love is what makes the world go round, right? Goldie