From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> On Behalf Of Anne Farrar
Sent: March 4, 2021 2:53 PM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] McNabb

Thanks, Ken for clarifying that. Maybe they wanted to name a township for Cardwell and almost used it instead of Peel and then when Muskoka opened up in the 1868 they used Cardwell for a township in Muskoka.

I just had so many questions in my head when I saw Cardwell & Caledon in the same location. Names of places changed so often as Canada West, Upper Canada, Ontario grew and developed over the years. Keeping track of the dates when names changed is a big part of doing genealogy in Ontario.

I assumed it was in Peel because this is where so many immigrants stopped for a year or two while looking for land and obtaining the paperwork.

PS. Peel was probably a priority as he was the UK Prime Minister at the time

Viscount Cardwell was minister for the colonies in the Peel cabinet at the time.