Re: Duich Lotts

Glynn Currie

Hi Edie,
Yes I believe it was a farm. Probably unlike any type of farm we know in Canada. It would have been a few acres, probably tilled by hand. My question is would it have been small farmer owned, or a larger land assemblage on which many farmer-operators would have worked for a portion of the crop while one land owner would have taken a portion of several farmers crops as a rent payment. In the latter case there could have been more than one house located close to one another.
The family tree which you have posted is certainly my family.
Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2020-12-19 23:02 (GMT-08:00)
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io, John Kemplen <john.kemplen@...>
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Duich Lotts

Hi Glynn,

It doesn’t sound like a farm yo me, more the name of a Town.  See this genealogy pedigree chart.

https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/r/o/w/Caroline-E-Rowe/GENE1-0006.html

Edie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, 20 December 2020 12:11
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io; John Kemplen

A question that has just occured to me after reading John's reply: Would Duich Lotts be a name that applied to a group of several farms developed near one another, or would it be a single farm worked by one family? Would it be termed a croft?

Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy

Date: 2020-12-19 16:38 (GMT-08:00)

To: John Kemplen <john.kemplen@...>, Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io

Thanks John.That is wonderful information very detailed and useful. I appreciate your help tremendously.

Glynn

Sent from my Galaxy

Date: 2020-12-19 15:30 (GMT-08:00)

To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io, ", Glynn Currie" <glynn.currie@...>

Hello Glynn

The place east of Bowmore is, a believe, usually known as Dluich.  I have never seen anywhere else beginning with "Dl" and I have no idea how to say it, but there it is.

The place your people came from is south of Bowmore.  Duich is on the A846 ("the Low Road") where it crosses the Duich River, and Duich Lots (or Lotts) is about a mile east of there, just over half way to the B8016 ("the High Road") and a little way north of Loch Dhomhnull.  It is still named on good maps, but nobody lives there any more.  You can see some rather sad pictures of some of the abandoned cottages there if you follow this link:
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6649

There are a few other places called Lotts or Lots in that area - Glenegedale Lots, Glenegedalemoor Lots, Glenmachrie Lots - all on very peaty land between Bowmore and Port Ellen.  I do not know what the term means, but it seems to relate to outlying land associated with the place with the name without "Lotts" after it, often rather poor land at that.

I have found that the best website for finding very detailed modern maps of Scotland is Canmore.  Start here:
https://canmore.org.uk/site/search/result?SITECOUNTRY=0&view=map
and zoom in on Islay.  Because it is really meant for finding sites of historical interest the detail can be obscured by blue blobs marking the sites.  To get rid of them, just go to the menu inset into the top right corner of the map, click on "Canmore" and then on the "Search Results" box.

I hope this helps.  If you still have difficulty finding the location or have other Islay-related questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

John

On 19/12/2020 20:58, Glynn Currie wrote:

Both my paternal grandparents were born on Islay. I have been told about the Island ever since I was very young. Grampa was John Currie, born in 1879 at Duich Lotts. His father was Donald Currie and his mother was Catherine McFadyen.

I would like to locate the farm where he was born and learn a bit about it. On an old map of Islay that I found on the internet I can see two places named Duich. One is located close to Bowmore, a little north and east. The other is located south and east of Bowmore, near the present day airport.

Would anyone know anything about these two locations which would allow me to learn which place was my grandfather's home?

Sent from my Galaxy

Virus-free. www.avast.com

--
EdieMc

Join Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.