Re: Duich Lotts

Glynn Currie

Thanks Josephine.

Yes this is my grandfather,John, and great grandfather, Donald. John did move to Saskatchewan in 1902 and took up a homestead. Later he became a grain buyer in three different communities. He married Flora McDiarmid in Saskatchewan in 1910. Flora was born on Shore Street In Bowmore in 1883, the daughter of Archibald McDiarmid and Agnes MacDonald.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Glynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: December 19, 2020 8:51 PM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Duich Lotts

Hi Glynn

I think Duich Lotts might be the name of the farm as all the census has the same address Duich Lots

Did the John below end up in Saskatchewan Canada.

This is below  1891 Census for Scotland.  John Father Donald  is a  Crofter and living at the same address with his parents Archibald & Marron 1851 the address is called Duich Muir, but from 1861 Duich Lots ,Ploughman, 1871 Duich Lots Farmer son, 1881 same address Farm servant  and 1901 same address  Crofter.

Name:

John Currie

Estimated Birth Year:

abt 1880

Relationship:

Son

Father's Name:

Donald Currie

Mother's Name:

Catherine Currie

Male

Where born:

Kildalton, Argyll

Registration Number:

Registration District:

Kildalton and Oa

Civil Parish:

Kildalton and Oa

County:

Argyll

Address:

Duich Lots

Scholar

ED:

Household Schedule Number:

Line:

Roll:

CSSCT1891_172

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Glynn Currie
Sent: Sunday, 20 December 2020 6:58 AM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: [ScotGen] Duich Lotts

Both my paternal grandparents were born on Islay. I have been told about the Island ever since I was very young. Grampa was John Currie, born in 1879 at Duich Lotts. His father was Donald Currie and his mother was Catherine McFadyen.

I would like to locate the farm where he was born and learn a bit about it. On an old map of Islay that I found on the internet I can see two places named Duich. One is located close to Bowmore, a little north and east. The other is located south and east of Bowmore, near the present day airport.

Would anyone know anything about these two locations which would allow me to learn which place was my grandfather's home?

Sent from my Galaxy

Join Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.