Re: DNA

Josephine Conray

Hello Bret.

Would you know? Should a sister match with her 5 brothers, would she match to both her Father and Mother or just one of them. What does it mean when the sister does not match.

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bret Busby
Sent: Saturday, 19 December 2020 10:33 PM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] DNA

On 19/12/20 6:12 pm, Bob Elder via groups.io wrote:
*If my eldest sister was to her DNA done would it be any different than
mine, or would she have the same markers as myself just a thought as
there is no other male line in the family.*

**

*Thank Bob*

Hello, Bob.

I am the Project Administrator for the Busby name project at
familytreedna.com .

I am no expert, but, the following may be helpful.

At familytreedna.com, for males, they have the Y-DNA test series, and
the Family Finder test, and, for females, they have the mtDNA test and
the Family Finder test. These are not the only genealogical DNA tests
that they offer, but, I believe that they are the most useful and helpful

The Y-DNA test, tests for matches, along the patrilineal line (father,
father's father, father's father's father, etc, etc, etc.

The Y-DNA test is applicable to the Y chromosome, and, males have
(mostly) the XY chromosome combination (apparently, XXY and XYY
chromosome combinations can exist, but, this is not the place for going
into that part of biology).

The mtDNA test traces the X chromosome , and females have (mostly) the
XX chromosome combination (apparently, the XXX chromosome combination,
also exists, but, once again, this is not the place for going into that
part of biology)

The mtDNA test, tests for matches along the matrilineal line (mother,
mother's mother, mother's mother's mother, etc, etc, etc).

The Family Finder test is an autosomal test, that tests for possible
ancestral relationships of both genders, from what I understand, going
back to five generations, and, returns results indicating possible
relationships ("This match may be a third to fifth cousin" kind of
matches) for both sexes.

What I recommend to people, is that, males, undergo the 37 marker Y-DNA
test and the Family Finder test, and, females, undergo the Family Finder
test, and, doing this, through a name project, and, once the test
results are returned, joining as many applicable name and geographic
projects, as can be found (so as to aid in finding possible matches
within those projects), the same as I recommend for joining genealogical
mailing lists.

Regarding geographic genealogical DNA projects, a number exist, for
Scotland, and for the UK, at familytreedna.com . These can be useful
both for finding possible relatives, and, for tracing ancestral movements.

So, I recommend that anyone who is researching genealogy relating to
Scotland, and, who has had familytreedna.com genealogy DNA testing,
done, should join the Scotland geographical DNA projects, in addition to
name projects, to make the research more comprehensive.

Also, out of interest, familytreedna.com have discounted offers on their
genealogical DNA tests, at present, until 27 December.

I hope that this information is helpful.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale