Re: DNA

Bret Busby

On 19/12/20 6:12 pm, Bob Elder via groups.io wrote:
*If my eldest sister was to her DNA done would it be any different than mine, or would she have the same markers as myself just a thought as there is no other male line in the family.*
**
*Thank Bob*

Hello, Bob.

I am the Project Administrator for the Busby name project at familytreedna.com .

I am no expert, but, the following may be helpful.

At familytreedna.com, for males, they have the Y-DNA test series, and the Family Finder test, and, for females, they have the mtDNA test and the Family Finder test. These are not the only genealogical DNA tests that they offer, but, I believe that they are the most useful and helpful

The Y-DNA test, tests for matches, along the patrilineal line (father, father's father, father's father's father, etc, etc, etc.

The Y-DNA test is applicable to the Y chromosome, and, males have (mostly) the XY chromosome combination (apparently, XXY and XYY chromosome combinations can exist, but, this is not the place for going into that part of biology).

The mtDNA test traces the X chromosome , and females have (mostly) the XX chromosome combination (apparently, the XXX chromosome combination, also exists, but, once again, this is not the place for going into that part of biology)

The mtDNA test, tests for matches along the matrilineal line (mother, mother's mother, mother's mother's mother, etc, etc, etc).

The Family Finder test is an autosomal test, that tests for possible ancestral relationships of both genders, from what I understand, going back to five generations, and, returns results indicating possible relationships ("This match may be a third to fifth cousin" kind of matches) for both sexes.

What I recommend to people, is that, males, undergo the 37 marker Y-DNA test and the Family Finder test, and, females, undergo the Family Finder test, and, doing this, through a name project, and, once the test results are returned, joining as many applicable name and geographic projects, as can be found (so as to aid in finding possible matches within those projects), the same as I recommend for joining genealogical mailing lists.

Regarding geographic genealogical DNA projects, a number exist, for Scotland, and for the UK, at familytreedna.com . These can be useful both for finding possible relatives, and, for tracing ancestral movements.

So, I recommend that anyone who is researching genealogy relating to Scotland, and, who has had familytreedna.com genealogy DNA testing, done, should join the Scotland geographical DNA projects, in addition to name projects, to make the research more comprehensive.

Also, out of interest, familytreedna.com have discounted offers on their genealogical DNA tests, at present, until 27 December.

I hope that this information is helpful.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale