Re: Thomson/Thompson in the Borders of Scotland.

Ken Harrison

Bailer should read Baillie (a civic leader).

Ken iPad

On Dec 18, 2020, at 12:21 AM, ROBERT F. RIDER <duneatik@...> wrote:

Yes the marriage data is correct.Robert Elliott is Agnes' Father and her Mother was Euphemia Tudhope. I do not know who Robert born 1722 parents were. The Robert Tudhope was a bailer in Selkirk which I believe  was a law officer of some sort. The naming patterns for that time would indicate Roberts Gfather may also be a Robert as his first male child was named that but died. The Grandmother Euphemia would mean the child Euphemia was called after her.Thank you for the site to email too.

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io> on behalf of ROBERT F. RIDER <duneatik@...>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2020 12:06:01 AM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io <Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] Thomson/Thompson

I checked any the time I viewed for that but saw no others. I just looked at an old map of Roxburgshire. Roberts bible said all his children were born in Bowden. Askirk is very close and there was a Hundalee close which could be Hunlie I suspect. The old writing is not clear on my documents but the spelling is sometimes anyone's guess as well. It also showed a Kirk at Ashkirk which probably is the Kirk in the documents. In Scotland I believe the name was spelled Thomson but in the US all but one son used Thompson. He was also a Robert and a Methodist preacher in WA. D.C. in the early 1800's.