Re: John Mackay Problem ..............

Josephine Conray

Hi John

There are no family trees for Alexander McKay/ MacKay and Margaret Simpson, did see their marriage record in 1806 and I did see Alexander record for his Baptisms which was on the 15 April, 1816 at Knockbain FHL: Film no 990655 you might be able to order that film.

It seems strange that Alexander & Margaret  did not have any children in that fist ten years then Alex in 1816 & William in 1821 but there is no other information for them.

There is two Family tree for William McKay/ MacKay & Margaret Cobban, but there is not any new information then you already have on the email.

A couple of bits below for the children in Red

The only other information Margaret Cobban was born 24 Aug 1817 New Spynie  her parents John Connan b1770 and Elizabeth Cooper  b1781 – Died 17 Oct 1827 they were married 29 May 1804 Spynie, Moray. FHL Film no 990802

Sorry I could not help very much

Cheers

Josephine

Qld Aust.

From: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io [mailto:Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io] On Behalf Of jwmmackay@...
Sent: Tuesday, 14 July 2020 1:44 AM
To: Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ScotGen] John Mackay Problem ..............

Hi Josephine,

I’m curious: Would it be possible for you tell me if there is an Ancestry family tree for either of the following?

William McKay, born July 4, 1821 in Knockbain, Ross Shire. Would later go by Mackay. Died 1903.

Married to Margaret Cobban, born around 1817 in New Spynie, Moray. Died 1908.

Children:

John McKay, born Apr 7, 1849 in Drainie, Morayshire, Moray County.===  Baptism 28 April 1849

Margaret McKay, born 1852 Morayshire

Alexander McKay, born 1854 Morayshire ====the 1881 Census states Alex was born Standrew’s  Shouboyd, Morashire

Elizabeth McKay, born Dec 24, 1856, Morayshire  Elizabeth Cooper born at Alves, Moray

William McKay, born May 16, 1860 Morayshire Also born at Alves, Moray  Occupation in 1861 was Police Constable.

or for the parents of William the father? I have him born in 1821 to Alexander McKay and Margaret Simpson, in Muckernich / Knockbain. All I ever found on Alexander and Margaret was a very brief marriage record (17 April 1806). No info on age, birth, death, parents, etc. They did have another child, Alexander, born 15 April, 1816.

Thanks!

John Mackay

Join Scots@Scotland-Genealogy.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.